Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

For the app to sync it requires BT, a network connection to Fitbit, and on Marshmallow Location needs to be on. Limitation st by Androod,  not Fitbit. 
Connected GPD needs the App to be running in, at least background, location, and Bluetooth

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just check,  I  have always connected turned off.  @Julia_G. If that helps any. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've returned the blaze because of the connected GPS. It just works when having an Internet connection. I go hiking in the mountains a lot and I can't use it there cause the Internet connection is not good enough. All my other apps (even my lorna jane app does this :D) track my hikes even if I don't have a constant internet connection. I've switched to the new garmin vivoactice hr.
Best Answer
0 Votes
As i said i turned all network of on my phone, then started the connected GPS walk, received the let's go notice and took off. When i got back i turned off the walk, turned on the network, synced, and could see the path i walked.
Best Answer
@Rich_Laue how can you change your phone to location through GPS only?
I've tried to connect the blaze at home before leaving with the GPS and the distance was correct but the route on the map stopped halfway and didn't show all of the route I walked.
Best Answer
0 Votes
As long as you had recently synced and your phone is ' connected ' it works, alternatively, if you turn ' always connected ' on....

That's my experience any way

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.
______________________________________________________________________________________

www.accenture.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Pull the stairs bar down,  hold the finger on the location icon, tap the Mode and chose.

Screenshot_2016-05-08-15-15-17.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since launch I've had a problem with my Blaze not showing a map of my route on the app when I've used the connected GPS. Any idea when this is going to get fixed? Starting to feel like buying it was a waste of money if you're not going to fix this issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Best Answer

Does the map show on the web? I'll assume it shows,  since there is no mention of it not showing, and suggest logging out and back in on app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, it doesn't log a map at all. I've heard of other people with the same issue. This is the only info it shows when I use the connected GPS:

fitbitinfo.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Debs81 On the "Let's go" screen, make sure you're getting full green signal bars in the upper left corner and not just a single red bar. If you aren't, then make sure the "use phone GPS" is on by pressing the gear symbal on the walk, run, or hike exercise on the Blaze. Last thing you can check is GPS mode is set in your phone's location settings. Make sure it's on "high accuracy" or "GPS only" and not "Power saving" mode.
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks but I've done all that already. My phone GPS works fine in the fitbit app and makes the map fine. It's just when I try to do it from the Blaze that it doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jwebb72 As many people are reporting 'GPS Only' doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@MuzDownUnder "GPS only" works on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro so I thought it would also work on her Samsung Galaxy S4. A sure sign for anyone checking would be verifying that you get full green signal bars on the "Let's go" screen on the Blaze, if only red then GPS isn't being used, at least that's my findings on the Motorola Moto E 2nd gen.
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@debs81. My Blaze when connected to GPS shows a map of my route on my dashboard.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can only get full bars if I am connected to Wi-Fi. For what happens when you're running and you don't have Wi-Fi? I have a galaxy S5. I really hate that my run did not have a map and splits.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I never get full bars on the blaze, but always get the map
Best Answer
0 Votes
@Marissa7725 provided you're using High Accuracy, the lack of WiFi shouldn't be a problem as your Samsung will still use GPS and cell tower info to determine location.
Best Answer
0 Votes

On Android,  even with the WiFi turned off,  in hough accuracy the phone is so listening door known wifi SSIDs, or known locations of home routers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The music controls work for you while you have it in run mode? I must not be swiping correctly!

Best Answer
0 Votes