Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

@oddis60, you might consider voting on the request to have the ability to lock the Blaze.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Touch-screen-lock-for-Blaze/idi-p/1207531

Best Answer

Done :-). Thanks for notifying me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have a check of this thread

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Blaze-Distance-Measurement-is-Inaccurate/td-p/1208483

I get a very consistant + 11% over distance here in Auckland, NZ. Some people get various differences both under & over with the distance measuring. My own testing has pointed towards that it is not the Blaze hardware (I got the exact same error on two and am about to get sent a third) or the phone or the phone android version (I have tried two different phones with two versions of operating systems). Like other people I get very accurate measuring using other apps or devices (including the fitbit app & fitbit Surge) so I do not believe the phone or gps system is at fault.

I have been having a conversation such as it is with fitbit with mostly canned replies and very little real help. Their stock answer seems to be to send you a replacement if it gets too hard. They have told me they haven't been able to replicate my problem which makes me think that it is to do with the location in someway. I would love to actually talk to the development team but that doesn't seem to be an option. An army of beta testers all over the world would quickly sort out these sort of issues.

MH

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just got my Blaze 2 days ago. I tried to track my spinning class today (for mileage, etc), but all it did was track heart rate. Is it even possible to track a cycle class, or is it only possible to track outdoor bike rides using the connected GPS (Fitbit app on the phone)? Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes
As for as spinning goes probably Workout or Bicycle with GPS turned off.
As for what the Blaze can monitor, since you are not physically moving, it will only be able to report time and heart rate.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Blaze a few days ago. I was wondering if it is possible to connect the Blaze to the phone (Samsung S4 mini) to use connected GPS without having an internet connection? (I don't have mobile internet, I only use wifi with my phone) When I was outside to do a bike exercise, I turned on bluetooth on my phone, the Blaze could not find my phone when selecting the bike exercise. When I was at home (with wifi internet connection) there was no problem. At home I tried it without wifi internet connection and the Blaze could not connect to the phone to use connected GPS. This would mean before the exercise I should first look for an internet connection to connect the Blaze to the phone, this might be a little bit impractible if you want to use connected GPS in an area where you don't have access to internet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem is crosscountry skiing. I took the Blaze for a walk, and then the measured distance in a "connected to GPS walking exercise session" was very accurate. The only difference was that I was on foot, not on skies. Seems it's something about holding a pole and pushing it firmly into the ground for every second step that disturbs the Blaze. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since it connects at home, it appears you have Notifications enabled in the app, which is required. For Connected GPS, the tracker connects to the phone through "Blaze" paired in the Bluetooth settings. I found that without Notifications enabled, "Blaze" didn't appear in the Bluetooth settings. I have both "Blaze Classic" and "Blaze" paired in Bluetooth.

Just did a test. I put my phone in Airplane mode, which turns off wireless and wifi connections. I was still able to connect to my phone using Connected GPS.

You need an internet connection to sync with the app.

I can't explain why you aren't able to connect with no internet connection. I would check to see if "Blaze" is paired under Bluetooth.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on Android 6.0.1, Fitbit Blaze (17.8.401.3)
Best Answer

Thank you AZPete for your reply. I noticed bluetooth (classic) was switched off on my Blaze, but turning it on unfortunately did not work. I found a way which works for me, by going to the "Call and Text Notifications" setting of the Blaze in the app and then the Blaze can find my phone and use connected GPS.

Best Answer
Finally! Kudos for solving...you just made Fitbit stock rise 10%.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi! The connected GPS feature is nice but not practical. Not all of us run clutching our phones. This was the best feature about the Surge, and I hope you consider incorporating it sometime in the near future! Thx, Fitbit! You guys rock!
Best Answer
Will the connected GPS use up your cellular data plan?
Best Answer
0 Votes
The connected gps is a connection between the Blaze.and the phone, no internet required, so no
Best Answer
0 Votes

iv just got the blaze and i have an iPhone 6 i connected the gps and went out to day but when i got back and see the map it’s not really what i expected 😞 i don’t remember going in to the sea. 

is there away of getting a more accrete gps mapping 

fit bit run.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
That trace looks like your iPhone didn't have accurate gps lock
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
That trace looks like your iPhone didn't have accurate gps lock

IMHO it appears that Fitbit doesn't cleanup the GPS data, or doesn't do it well. We've seen forum posts from folks simultaneously recording on Blaze and phone app, and the Fitbit GPS track isn't as accurate, even though its the same gps data.

Phone GPS has gotten quite good, however obstructions, changing satellite constellation overhead, and other variables will lead to some bad GPS data. The better and more mature apps will cleanup the GPS data, and in the process create a more accurate track. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue! Did you find a solution? Actually thinking of returning because of how far off it is...

Best Answer

@JessieDeHaan see @bbarrera's post above your. As explained this has to do with the software. It will require a change of Firmware out most lilely a server update, either way the solution is on Fitbit end. 

Rest assured it will be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Rich_Laue "Rest assured it will be resolved"

Why do you believe this issue will be or even needs to be resolved?

Do you think many users are experiencing this issue and if so, why?
Best Answer
0 Votes

When is the no mapping going to be fixed? I've had this problem since I got my Blaze on launch, posted on here a month ago and had no help.

Best Answer