Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428
I have been using the blaze for a week or so and every bike ride to work has been off about 5 kilometers (real distance is 10km, blaze tracks 15km). Phone own mapping gets the distance right and the path in ios app seems right but the distance is way of.

Thought first that there is a bug in miles to kilometers convertion, but the distance is wrong also with miles. Any similar problems or ideas how to get the distance to be more precise?

Best Answer
0 Votes
It seems to be an existing problem, I'm returning since the accuracy is too
important.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@FelixFive I believe it will based on history. When the Surge came out some, but not all where seeing the same inconsistencies. When it came to the Android app , it was the same in that it affects some phone's but not all.

Why could this be, Android versus Apple? Apple phones have one manufacturer, Android phones have many manufactures, with many more models. With Apple their are a few versions of the OS being run. With Android there are a few versions within KitKat, Lollipop and Marshmallow. With each manufacturer adding its own spin to the hardware interface.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have HUAWEI p8 lite, and everything is working apart from when I want to run it says check fibit app. Ive done all of the location and permission checks on phone and tgey are set correct. But blaze still says check fitbit app....why? Please help
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey, that does make some sense, though perhaps there is not yet enough evidence there is a problem.

For one it is mostly only those having problems that post here. This fact alone will bias us towards believing the problem is greater than it really is. Two we don't know how many devices are on the market, or how many, what percentage where replaced and for what reason.
Not knowing the picture, but knowing a dozen who have bought the Blaze, I'm unable to see the extent of the problem. Three I'm sure their are people that when their tracker has problems. They look at the bottom of the page, read the warranty, then find they have no reason to post here. The warranty answered their question.

So I guess I'm just unsure if there really is a problem and therefore if Fitbit will fix anything.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@terena I suggest doing a search of the forums for HUAWEI you will find threads dedicated to your phone. I haven't found any in the Android forum which would be the first place to look.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Followed instruction to turned on GPS of my phone. But my Blaze connected GPS is not working with HTC M+ (M9pw), the Blaze shows Check Fitbit app always.

HTC m9+ Android is 5.0.2

Blaze 17.8.104.1

By the way, the notification is working well for coming call and text message (but not supporting traditional Chinese).

@EmersonFitbit wrote:

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, I'm not sure the reason for the 6 paragraph quote, it really just distracts from your question. Is the App running at least in the background, and the phone's location services set for GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good morning! The reason add the quote is the paragraph "What errors might I run into?", I don't know what in Fitbit app needs check?

The phone network is connected, GPS and BT are on, Fitbit app is running on the phone screen and my Blaze is synchronized with Fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wondering if you can see this map while you are walking or cycling or whatever activity?  I can only see this map after I have clicked on the Finish Line flag in the exercise screen.   I would love to be able to see the map and my path while I Am walking.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

As stated in previous posts on this thread. No map is shown on the Blaze while you are walking, and the app since it is not tracking there will not be a map there also.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This happened to me. I force closes the Fitbit app, restarted my phone and the connection worked.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am currently using Strava as my GPS app along with the Bike exercise app on my Blaze. It has been right on the money with the distances. My phone is a Galaxy S6. Only issue I have now is the dashboard is showing 2 different bike rides starting at the same time with 2 different calorie counts.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a question. Apologies if the subject already has been addressed but I couldn't find anything similar. Doesn't anyone know if it's possible to use the connected GPS with a secondary phone? I have two phones, a large phablet as main and a small secondary phone for work and running. During my every day I want to have the Blaze connected to the phablet for notifications but for runs I want to bring the smaller phone with me instead. I have no need for the blaze to be connected to both at the same time. So can the blaze store 2 Bluetooth connections and swap between these if either one of them is turned of?
Best Answer
0 Votes
@Leocor, that definitely works and is exactly what I do. I have an iPad at home which I keep connected to my Blaze, but my regular phone is a Windows phone which can't use connected GPS, although I do have a spare Android phone. The extra complication for me is that the Android does not actually have any cellular or data connection, just GPS amd WiFi where available.

So all I do is turn off Bluetooth on my iPad before I try to connect to the Android. I find that it won't connect to the other connection without internet, so before I leave home I have to set up the te exercise. I don't do anything to the phone except turn it on. Then I just select exercise --> run on my Blaze and it very quickly gives me "let's go" and off I go, As soon as I leave home I have no internet, but that does not cause an issue -- once the initial connection is made it doesn't need internet.

If your spare phone has data connection you shouldn't even have this extra complication and should be able to connect to your spare phone as soon as you are out of range of your phablet, or turn the Bluetooth off.

I hipe this helps!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@Julia_G thats awesome! Thanks for the input. Just went ahead an ordered a Blaze for myself 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found the location accuracy I have set for the phone has a profound effect on the accuracy of the connected GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue I have been testing this and my conclusion is the app-Balze connection is not using the GPS data. You can test this yourself by setting the phone to GPS only and you will find you get one red bar on the connected screen and the Blaze will not record a mapped track, only steps. Setting the location to No GPS (Wi-fi-cellnet only) will give you a connection and record an incorrect distance, Setting the phone to high accurancy will also get you a good connection and will also record an incorrect distance. Interestingly the phone location symbol in the status bar is activated when you start the Blaze exercise but the GPS seems to be not being used.

You can also manually start the GPS with another app to make sure it is started but this makes no difference to the error. 

Best Answer
@MuzDownUnder Same findings here as well, so frustrating.
Ionic, retired Blaze.
Best Answer
0 Votes

On Android we have the option to set accuracy off,

Wi-Fi, and Cell service only, this also works with wifi and cellular network turned off.

Wi-Fi, Cell service, and GPS

GPS only, many apps complain with this seeing

Each setting affects the way the phone determined its location.

Best Answer
0 Votes