Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep stages for Blaze

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a Fitbit Blaze and the help section states it should show me my sleep stages, for example, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM.  My app and dashboard are not showing me this information.  It is only showing me time asleep, time restless, and time awake.  Where do I go to see my sleep stages?  I have had my Blaze for a year now and it has never shown my sleep stages.

Thank you.

Best Answer
268 REPLIES 268

Hey there everyone!

I just want to jump in and clarify something as I see some starting their sleep tracking in the app by pressing the "Begin sleep" option. If you have a tracker that automatically detects your sleep as the Blaze, and want to see sleep stages, don't do it.

DO NOT PRESS "BEGIN SLEEP" on the app if you want to see Sleep Stages. Let your tracker automatically detect your sleep.

Anything else, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too.
I agreee

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
Suggest that has nothing to do with it. Mine worked for 2 nights prior to last night when it didn't and I've allowed it to auto detect for more than a month now.
Randomness evokes endless speculations when Fitbit won't say, "Hey relax out there. This is our problem & we're working on it."
Tommy10

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

There are several things that can affect Sleep Stages at the moment, including the fact the it seems not to be working properly for everyone but as I mentioned before on some other posts, our team is aware of this and we hope to have it all working fine soon.

Thanks for you for your patience with this @Tommy10 and great to see you in the Community Forums!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit,

What do you mean by "start sleep in the app"? 

How may one do this? Just in case I've been doing it inadvertently on my Blaze....

On the other hand, I need to update everyone who's still having issues:

I decided to call Fitbit support on 877.634.4997, which I did on Thursday last week. I think @TroyJ may have provided the number (thanks Troy). Anyhoo, their suggestion was for me to switch from the non-dominant hand on which I wear it normally (happens to be my left hand), to my right hand. Well, I tried that but needless to say, it didn't work.

So going to bed Friday night, I returned to wearing it on my left hand as usual and went to sleep only to find upon waking up, that sleep stages were recorded. Now, my phone was just beside the bed when I synced and I didn't have to get out of bed, but since I had only seen the stages once ever - On the 6th of April - I discovered that the Fitbit was higher up on my wrist. Now this struck me, because I typically wear wristwatches at my wrist joint and don't tighten it or anything but noticed that my tracker was sitting higher up such that my thumb could snugly fit between the tracker and my wrist joint. 

So, I wanted to see if this would happen again or if it was just a fluke. It wasn't. I purposely pulled it higher up my arm before falling asleep. I saw the stages again.

Now, on Sunday night I had less than 3 hours at once and so didn't see the stages. On Monday night, I set the tracker higher like before but awoke to the old stages. Darn it, right? Well, I noticed that I awoke on my tummy not my back or side, on which I  normally sleep.

So last night, I decided to sleep on my back and set the tracker higher up and the stages appeared again.

Well, I didn't want to wait for a week of testing before sharing with the group so there it is.

My theory is to put the tracker higher up till it's snug against your arm; I wouldn't say tighten but snug enough to not slide down at least; and try sleeping on your back or side. Try back one night and side the other. Try this tonight and let's see if this helps or not. No guarantees, but worth a try; you gotta sleep sometime, right? Share your results with the group and let's see. Of course make sure it's got at least 1/2 battery juice left. Also, I didn't turn the tracker off/on or reset it or anything before going to bed. I did that in the past but it didn't work.

Also for folks who have enjoyed night after night of stages, if you could, chime in with regard to tracker position on wrist and sleeping position...You may need to observe yourselves this night as well rather than just off the top of your head to be sure.

Otherwise, the only other observation I can think of, is to call the support line...maybe they did something remotely to my tracker for all I know which took a while to kick in, like reinstalled the update or something (not that I noticed anything though, just saying).

Let's know how it goes.

Cheers

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hey there everyone!

I just want to jump in and clarify something as I see some starting their sleep tracking in the app by pressing the "Begin sleep" option. If you have a tracker that automatically detects your sleep as the Blaze, and want to see sleep stages, don't do it.

DO NOT PRESS "BEGIN SLEEP" on the app if you want to see Sleep Stages. Let your tracker automatically detect your sleep.

Anything else, I'm here to help!

I have to say, it's the only way I have gotten this to work at all, but it was only really through my own trial and error that I worked it out.

Best Answer

First let me say that I really appreciate the time that you and several others are taking to troubleshoot this feature in order to help your fellow Fitbit users. 

My response to this is directed at Fitbit.

Ummmm, no! Either this is an available feature (for specific models anyway) or it isn't. You cannot consider this functional if the only way to access it is to work my tracker, my bed, and my sleeping body like some Rube Goldberg machine. 

This has been a sorry excuse for a rollout and is made worse by the fact that Fitbit reconfigured the sleep log in the web portal to optimize it for sleep stages. In doing so, they removed some of the most useful features and now everyone is stuck with that whether they have sleep stages or not (which I still don't). 

Fitbit screwed the pooch on this one. I wish they'd quit filibustering, own it, and then tell us the truth about what they're doing to fix it.

Best Answer
Yes I agree

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I agree

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband and I have done this for the last 2 nights and it seems to be working. 

I'm  still receiving emails from Fitbit customer service with yet more helpful(?)  suggestions. 

The last gem is that if  I've taken my fitbit off to charge it that means it shows  as intermittent until it flips into the next day and therefore won't show sleep stages that night. 

Following on from 2 days ago when they told me that it will only work if it is fully charged I now have a minor problem.

1) I take my fitbit off to charge it at any point during the day and it won't show sleep stages.

2) I don't ever take it off and it won't show sleep stages because the battery is too low. Hmmmm? 

Add to that the fact that my husband's Charge 2 can't show sleep stages because it hasn't been released for that tracker yet. (According to customer services but not according to the forums and their help pages). All this despite the fact that he's seen them 4 times previously and his has also worked for the last 2 nights. 

Fitbit seriously needs to address these issues and stop pushing the problem back onto users. 

They have a problem - we don't. 

Best Answer

My wife's Charge 2 continues to have Sleep Stages but mine does not. The sleep stages appears to be pretty accurate and very useful. Wish I had it!

Best Answer

Hey everyone,

I've noticed an increase of Charge 2 users posting about sleep stages on the Blaze forum. If you're a Charge 2 user and you're looking for info about sleep stages, PLEASE direct your attention to the Charge 2 forum; specifically check out the thread for Charge 2 Sleep Stages.

Blaze users -

As @FerdinandFitbit mentioned, manually logged sleep = no sleep stages, it has to be auto-detected sleep. For additional tips, check out the info on our help article.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer

I had problems with getting the "new" sleep stages graph at first, but now I don't.  I have NEVER done anything to my Blaze fit bit to initiate that.  It is auto detect as some are saying.  So while I do not use apps on my cell phone I also do not push anything on the Blaze to initiate reading sleep stages.

Hope this helps people.  I think the bottom line is there is a software issue from Fitbits end of the issue!

Best Answer

I bought my Blaze with the sleep update, and it worked for a couple weeks but has reverted a couple of times to the old sleep chart. Does anyone know how to fix it for good?

Best Answer

Join the club! You are one of a large club that is struggling to get it to work properly. 

We have been helped (?) by customer services with wonderful suggestions. 

You may find that staying awake all night/chasing it every day /never charging it at all and generally trying everything you can possibly think of will work. 

The one thing that had worked for us is stopping using our app to say we are going to sleep. 

This had worked for 3 days for my husband and I. 

Sorry for the cynical reply but this is what asking for help from Fitbit has done too me. 

Best Answer
Just keep reading the posts in the forum. I have typed out all the steps several times.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can believe that.  The help force is trained to work thru a-z first, by the script so to speak.  So while none of it was what really helped, it is what they are trained to do.

Glad you got it figured out.  I got it figured out by stumbling onto the idea that I don't press anything, just let the Blaze do it's thing.  But in the beginning the sleep stages were not there for most because it is a programming thing, nothing to do with problem with the Blaze, or Charge or whatever.

OK,  I hope, as time progresses FitBit improves it's ability to know their end of the issue well enough to not send people thru endless loops of useless suggestions.  Doesn't mean they are not helpful with things that are the device glitches.  But when it comes to their own programming they just don'e bother.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndrewFitbit wrote:

Hey everyone,

I've noticed an increase of Charge 2 users posting about sleep stages on the Blaze forum. If you're a Charge 2 user and you're looking for info about sleep stages, PLEASE direct your attention to the Charge 2 forum; specifically check out the thread for Charge 2 Sleep Stages.

Blaze users -

As @FerdinandFitbit mentioned, manually logged sleep = no sleep stages, it has to be auto-detected sleep. For additional tips, check out the info on our help article.

Thank you for this. Maybe you can tell me why no one from Fitbit had thought to mention it in any of the emails they have sent me. Lots of things for me to try. Lots of suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong. Never any suggestion that this is the answer. Nowhere on your help page does it say this. I have an app written for my device that allows me to manually log my sleep. How stupid of me not to realise that I shouldn't use it. 

Best Answer

@AndrewFitbit wrote:

Hey everyone,

Blaze users -

My husband is a Charge 2 owner. Your advice to refer to the Charge 2 forum is rather pointless. This thread has been closed for some time now. My husband had the same problem as I did. He has sleep stages but they aren't working regularly. The advice given to him by your customer services was that Charge 2 trackers DID NOT support sleep stages right now.

Yes they do. 

There is no way of getting any advice about this problem in the forum thread. The answer to the problem is the same as for the Blaze. Surely your response should be to post that on the closed forum and also to add it to your help section. That way your customers would not have to post on the wrong thread but could get the answers they need. 

Best Answer

Sending an active discussion to a closed thread is a horrible move.  This is the equivalent of having people navigate a phone menu only to hang up on them.  Obviously, there is a significant segment of your customer base that is actively trying to find a working solution.  HELP them.  Post something like "we know the following might help.  We know the following does not help.  There's xx% for which there is no known solution right now."  The other part of your store is a mess - try to be polite to the spillover.

Best Answer