Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fitbit life expectancy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had six Fitbit devices. In my experience, and from what I’m reading, the average life expectancy of a device is one year. I’m sure this is planned, but I’m sick of it. I will be moving my business elsewhere for my next fitness device. As soon as my Blaze dies, which I’m assuming will be any day now, I’m done wasting my money. Anyone have another brand they love?

Best Answer
141 REPLIES 141

I have had most all my devices for 3 years.

How are you charging it?

See this thread for charging best practices. If you are not charging it correctly you could be damaging the battery
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge/Fitbit-charge-battery-problems/m-p/1323307#M53291

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm going on my 3rd Blaze in under a year. When this one dies and I doubt it makes it 6 months let alone a year I'll be moving to a Garmin device. 

Best Answer

Try an Apple Watch if you’re into Apple products. The only problem with it is that you won’t be connected to the Fitbit universe. You won’t be able to participate in Fitbit challenges with friends, if that’s what you like to do with your Fitbit. Just an idea whatever you choose I hope you like. 

Best Answer

Yep you are right!  I have had my Fitbit Versa for around a year and it has died.  I have done everything to turm it back on.  It comes on for awhile and then dies again.  Now it's not coming back on at all.  I am so bummed and to be honest spending $250+ and buying it new directly from Fitbit I would have expected a longer lasting product.    It should last like a watch or phone.  What a rip-off!!  My last Fitbit died after a year too but I just thought it was a lemon.  I will never buy from this company again.  So sad as I loved my Fitbit...

Best Answer

I got the fitbit Versa right when it came out last year. It lasted 7 months and then the light began bleeding around the edges. I had it replaced under warranty, and here I am again, 8 months later, with a completely dead fitbit. The screen had white flickering lines through it, which turned into a whole white bar, then the bar of pixels died, until the whole screen died. That was all within a day. I am very upset because after spending $200+ dollars, I don't even get 15 months out of it. Plus I have a punch of accessories and watch faces I've also spent money on that is a waste unless I get another Versa. Which I am obviouslu hesitant to do.

Best Answer

I totally agree with you guys! I have to buy a new Fitbit once a year and I’m so sick of it! I’m going to miss the competitions but I’m going with the Apple Watch for now on. 

Best Answer

I feel the same about the product. I understand how to charge devices. Let them get to zero or close to and charge them to 100% always. I have had mine for about a year and it last maybe a day and a half at this point. I enjoyed the versa until I seen how bad the battery life was. I would love to keep using fitbit but not for $250 a pop.

Best Answer

I got the original Charge HR and it died after ~ 1 year. I swore off Fitbit at the time because I thought a device should last longer than 1 year. Then I caved and bought the Versa. Love it. I've now had the Versa for just over 1 year and I can't say I've had any issues with it at all. It still has basically the same battery life, I charge it every 5 days. Planning to keep it for the next year....

And I fully plan on it breaking in the next year. Hear me out. It's a wearable. If you are expecting a wearable to last anything longer than 2 years, that's ambitious. I've seen friends and my girlfriend cycle through broken or lag-ridden or poorly charging Apple and Galaxy watches every year- year and a half. Especially the true smart watches that have to be charged every day or so won't hold much of a charge after a year. That's just the reality of this product category. I know it feels like a lot, but it's meant to be a disposable product every 1-2 years. (Also, who is spending so much $$$ on these? I got the Fitbit Versa SE (I wanted the NFC payments) at Target about a month after it came out for like $179).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m beginning to appreciate old time watches that you could keep for 50 years. I have my Versa about a year and a third. I can see that the battery is going. Too bad, I really love it, but that’s not an acceptable life span. I’m getting an I watch when it totally croaks. 

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Charge 3 that had died on me - it was purchased in Dec 2018 - 16 months old - I've loved using it and love the fact that it is small and slim (unlike the apple and garmin devices) and that I can swim with it.  But honestly, I expected it to last longer than 16 months.  I won't be buying a Fitbit device again.

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Blaze. I bought it four years ago. I wear it day and night, and use all the functions daily. It’s still working perfectly. One time about a year ago, it wouldn’t switch, on and after a lot of research and trying many things, I reset it, and it’s worked like new since then. Maybe I’m just lucky.

I’m thinking of upgrading to the Versa ll, but I am a bit concerned on how long it will last.

Best Answer

I intentionally searched internet (google) to check my problem and found this website. I faced the same problem on 2 of my Fitbit Charge 2 products. Product lasted for certain period and would stop working 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Fitbit Blazer for about two years. No problem, would enjoy being well aware of my workout/health/sleep stats and all. Now, the battery won't even last a whole day. Fitbit,  you were fun, but I gotta boot it 

Best Answer

I've had mine for 4+ years as well! Everything works great, only issue is the battery is starting to need charged daily instead of every 4 or 5. I'm gonna keep mine as long as I can, he's my og. Lol

Best Answer

As an update I've now had my Fitbit Versa for nearly 2 years and it's battery life is still within ~5% of when it was new. I'm quite impressed. I really expect these more inexpensive wearables to only last 1-2 years and I think I'm going to be able to get 3 out of this one.

Best Answer

I got my Versa in October 2017...  Today, 7/10/2020, my Versa has the black screen of death with blue bleeding on the edges.  I can officially say my Versa is dead.  It lasted me 2 years 9 months which is pretty awesome. I guess i'd better order a new one.  

Best Answer

I agree. Only had my Fitbit for 18 months and completely dead. Was offered a 25% discount on a new one, big deal!

I'll be looking at other options as well.  Seems like battery issues and short life span are very common from what I am reading. Not worth those type of problems for prices charged. 

Best Answer

Same here!  I’ve had mine for 3 years and haven’t had any issues.

Best Answer
You are SO lucky! I have had 3 Fitbits in 3 years. When this one breaks
(which I've had for 9 months I'm done with their company.
Best Answer