Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fitbit life expectancy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had six Fitbit devices. In my experience, and from what I’m reading, the average life expectancy of a device is one year. I’m sure this is planned, but I’m sick of it. I will be moving my business elsewhere for my next fitness device. As soon as my Blaze dies, which I’m assuming will be any day now, I’m done wasting my money. Anyone have another brand they love?

Best Answer
141 REPLIES 141

I can see why you feel that way. Mine just died, but customer service is
replacing it although it’s out of warranty. So, I do feel lucky.
--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm done with fitbit.

Last one lasted a

Best Answer

I, too, have had a FITBIT Blaze since mid-July 2016. I have had a great experience with it, but now, despite efforts to clean the back as directed by Fitbit help line, it no longer registers my sleep stages in full. I will try one more time with the help line. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem...

Best Answer
0 Votes

They average 1 to 2 years max, and that’s following all the battery charging advice of running fully flat and fully charging through a secondary device. Really not good enough for the money!

Best Answer

Fitbit really needs to come out with a replaceable battery.
--

Best Answer

I mean my Versa was what, $120 new? Even if it only lasted a year that's ~ $10 per month. Two years, $5 per month. I would understand if it was an Apple or Samsung that cost $300+ being upset if it broke after a year or 2, but it really is a good deal given the price.

Best Answer
I've had this problem with no info on sleep from my Fitbit Versa several
times. I re-register (or setup new fitbit device) as if it is a new
device. It reconnects the sleep part of their app. I don't know if that
will work on your end though since you have a different model than the
Versa. It's a bit of a pain (especially since I've had to do it about
6Xs). Plug in your fitbit and put it on top of your cell phone with that
charging also. Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I guess I should consider myself blessed that mine turned almost
four before problems emerged.
Best Answer
You should. This is my 3rd one in 3 years. Let me know if that fix works
for you please. Take care.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Will do.
Best Answer
0 Votes

We clearly have a very different view on the value of money and quality! Personally I think throwaway tech is something that we really need to stop producing. 

Best Answer

I really doubt our views on these things differ that much. I strongly believe in using technology for as long as is feasibly possible. I have a 9 year old laptop (Asus U36) that I've repaired and replaced parts in myself. Prior to my current car I drove a 1994 Toyota Camry with 200,000 miles on it for 19 years. I now drive a ~10 year old Highlander that I will keep at least as long. I have a three year old phone that replaced a 4-5 year old phone. I avoid buying connected IoT, other home automation things, or products that are unnecessarily abandoned by their companies before their useful life expires (looking at you Sonos). I am also a strong advocate for Right to Repair Legislation in my state. BUT. Wearables are made to be worn. As such they are exposed to constant wear and tear, incidental damage whenever we accidentally knock our arms or hands into things, exposure to the elements including corrosive effects from rain or swimming in the ocean, and are expected to be on constantly. No piece of electronics is going to survive that kind of abuse for very long. I do fault Fitbit for not being more easily serviceable and repairable, but I also understand the material engineering tradeoff for having it be as resilient as it is. And regarding money, I don't think being willing to pay $5-10 a month for this kind of data makes me not value money? If you think about it as a subscription service then it's one of the cheapest I subscribe to. I think I pay more for razor blades, and I don't think that makes me Scrooge McDuck.

Best Answer
I could not agree with you more. I am trying very hard to save my now four
year old Fitbit Blaze!
Best Answer

Nope, not buying it! I don’t submerge it, I don’t wack it into stuff, it’s not got a single mark on it, so none of the wearable Wear and tear shizzle is relevant! Top and tail is the battery’s just don’t cut the mustard, encouraging you to buy another and add to landfill. If I spend £100’s on anything I expect some longevity with it!

ive had 2 of these in three years and now this ones conking out too. Poor show fitbit!

Best Answer

Hey, you do whatever works for you, I'm just speaking from my experience 🙂 I suppose YMMV

Best Answer
0 Votes

The subscription model is a good way to think about it. Makes me rethink my
criticism of Fitbit. Still it would be nice to be able to change the
battery, so we can drive it into the ground, using your car analogy. I’m a
Scrooge too.
--

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa died within a year. Luckily I bought the 2 year plan but once the replacement dies I'm switching to a different brand 

Best Answer

"Wearables are made to be worn. As such they are exposed to constant wear and tear, incidental damage whenever we accidentally knock our arms or hands into things, exposure to the elements including corrosive effects from rain or swimming in the ocean, and are expected to be on constantly. No piece of electronics is going to survive that kind of abuse for very long."

You don't think cellphones take just as much (or more) abuse on a regular basis? Apart from swimming in the ocean with my phone (which I wouldn't do with my smartwatch anyway) I see no difference in the wear and tear on other types of "small" technology currently available.

Best Answer
Great answer!! My phone goes through SO much more abuse than my Fitbit!!
This is my 3rd Futbit in less than 3 years. I've had my phone for 4
years. No problems. Even though Fitbit says the Versa can go in water, I
never ever let it get wet. I know how easily the last 2 stopped working an
neither lasted a year.
Best Answer
I agree. I am lucky that my Blaze has lasted, virtually without a problem,
for four full years. The only thing it has refused to do for the last 2
months is to show me my sleep patterns and give me a score.
Best Answer
0 Votes