Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fitbit life expectancy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had six Fitbit devices. In my experience, and from what I’m reading, the average life expectancy of a device is one year. I’m sure this is planned, but I’m sick of it. I will be moving my business elsewhere for my next fitness device. As soon as my Blaze dies, which I’m assuming will be any day now, I’m done wasting my money. Anyone have another brand they love?

Best Answer
141 REPLIES 141

I am waiting on my 3rd Ionic since October of 2019. I have never gotten to the battery issue. This time I did a factory reset as directed to correct a GPS error. In the end my Ionic became a brick. The first replacement was due to problem with updates and problem after. I will be sure to get a 2-year warranty, so I can count on a 2-year life expectancy on future purchases.  I do feel the Fitbit products should last at least 2 years as most phones do. With most product I buy, I now count the life expectancy to be what the warranty period is set at.

Best Answer
0 Votes

2 years exactly and its dead!!!what a let down

no more fitbits!

time for a change

Best Answer

My Fitbit Versa died today after two years! Worst brand ever. Why they charge so much for such a short-lasting product. 

Best Answer

My original Surge casing fell apart just after 12 months.  Its replacement failed from terminal battery failure a month before the original's 24 month warranty expired.  Since the Surge had been withdrawn I had to have a lower specification replacement Blaze under warranty.

Within about 15 months the Blaze stopped recording my sleep activity, the battery charge wouldn't last more than 12 hours and the heart monitoring became erratic.  It's basically just a step recorder now.

Even though my original Fitbit was under warranty, Fitbit offered to sell me a new one less 25% discount.  I had to escalate each claim to receive a replacement under warranty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my blaze for over 4 years and it is working just fine.  Battery last 3 to 4 days.  I have only changed the bands.  

Best Answer

My Versa of almost 2 years ran into some serious and potentially dangerous
problems. I contacted Versa customer support. They were great. They
replaced the Versa and the charger. --

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
Their warranty is only for 1 year. Did you have an extended warranty
perhaps? That's great news but that is the first time I've heard this
happening on this blog. Interesting...
Best Answer
0 Votes
That is precisely my experience. However, since May, I have not been able
to obtain the sleep score with the details about the stages of sleep, etc.
It now provides only a schematic.
Two calls to the help line have not restored the function, so I am now
forced to consider purchasing a new one.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn't.  They're too expensive to be considered a short term consumable.

I used to be a Fitbit enthusiast but not any more.  Even when my failed Fitbits were still under warranty, their first response was attempting to sell me another one.

Best Answer
Thanks for this post. Do you have an alternative to recommend?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I don't.  My primary motive was tracking my CV progress at the gym and saw little point wearing a paperweight on my wrist.  I'm well out of the fitness tracking habit now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No. My warranty was up. Maybe it was a liability issue. --

I’d try customer service again first. Maybe you’ll get a rep who will help
you. Good luck. --

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think so.  If you're able to see my post history you'll see why.  In the UK my Original Fitbit Surge was sold with a 24 month warranty.  The casing fell apart just after a year.  Fitbit only wanted to sell me another one less a small discount.  I declined and received a replacement under warranty after I escalated it.  

The replacement's battery failed completely inside the original 24 months. Fitbit only  wanted to sell me another one less a small discount.  I had to escalate my case for a warranty replacement.  The Surge had been discontinued so I accepted a replacement Blaze which had fewer features and retailed at a lower price.

The Blaze's battery life and features started to fail after about 15 months.  It wouldn't record my sleep or heart rate and battery life declined to 7 hours after a full charge.

My experience with Fitbit service is that you have to push and escalate for your right for a replacement under the warranty.  Once it's out of warranty that's it.

I won't be buying another Fitbit only to replace every 12 to 24 months.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, I will try one more time...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck to you with your Blaze, according to this forum you're the exception to the rule.  I have a work colleague who together with his son now have a collection of 8 Fitbits.   2 original and 6 warranty replacements.  

Now they're out of warranty they are looking at an alternative brand when replacements are due.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love my Blaze it is truly my favorite gadget The screen is black and I can’t see anything on it but when it syncs with my phone it has all my data. 

Best Answer

Google this. I had the same thing happen with my Versa. I thought it was
dead. But, when I googled it, I found the answer. I wish I could recall
what it was. I can’t. But, it worked like a charm. I think it involved
several steps, and I was skeptical it would work. But it did. Good luck. --

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. How did you reset it if it wasn’t coming on? I’m experiencing the same problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been using my Blaze since 2016. Apart reduced battery life (per charge), the device continues to work/sync fine. I'd have to buy aftermarket band, as the original blue band gave away in 18 months or so.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How did helpline instruct you to clean the back?

Best Answer
0 Votes