Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 not tracking sleep stages

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had my charge2 for a week and it won’t track the deep sleep rem and the stages it to track when I’m sleeping.   What do I do to fix it. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
448 REPLIES 448
Get in touch with Fitbit sounds may be faulty.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

For 3 nights I got sleep stages just fine after wearing the strap higher and tighter on my arm.  Last night it was back to not picking up stages again.  Thanks for suggestions.  I will see how it does for a few nights and then may have to try other ideas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I now suffer from Atrial Fibrillation and my Charge 2 has never detected sleep patterns (about a year)

If i swap with my wife;s Alta HR that also does not record my sleep patterns, but has never missed a day when my wife wears it.  My wife wearing my Charge 2 detects her sleep stages so it seems very likley that it is my irregular heart rather than the Fitbit device.  I have suggested to Fitbit that they market this aspect to get Fitbit users whos device does not detect sleep stages to go to their GP and have their heart checked for AF.

Best Answer
I go in and out of afib so that might be the answer. When I got my Charge 2 I was not having afib and the sleep stage problem started after

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has been working pretty well for a week except for the outage one night. But last night it was back to the graph. No sleep stages. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Saw mp GP today. As soon as he saw my ectopic beat frequency he agreed it could very well prevent ft it from getting the length between beats. So I'm going to stop fretting and just enjoy my 7 - 8 hours sleep every night!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. Check your hearts!

😊😊😊

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had this for a week now, pretty sick of it. Multiple resets haven't helped, I even had my Charge 2 replaced! The new one tracks as poorly as the old one. Tightening my strap makes it worse, moving it on my arm makes it worse. On and on and on... A new solution, please?

I've even messaged fitbit, no response as yet. Is there a lower threshold for the heart-rate detection? I've noticed it's registering my heart-rate as lower lately and I really hope that isn't the problem.

Screenshot_20180221-213601.pngScreenshot_20180221-213632.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Niksia,

Might want to try some of the workarounds mentioned in the now closed off Sleep Stages Outage thread (used to be called Fitbit Charge 2 tracking sleep like a flex before the moderators changed it). None of the workarounds are satisfactory and Fitbit hasn't really acknowledged the issue - despite the complaints from many users. The fact that a moderator had to close the thread when more users complained about the failure of sleep stage monitoring kind of gives you an idea.

One point to make is to carry out multiple resets in a row (the recommendation is 3x) of the device.

Might also want to reset the mobile device as well to ensure the syncing is functioning.

If no one has said so, welcome to Fitbit's beta testers club!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here....since Feb 15, I´ve tried like you with multiple resets, nothing....even reinstalled the win10 fitbit app...

it SUX 😞

Best Answer

I was looking for that thread and noticed I couldn't reply. Why would they close it without seeming obvious they are trying to shut us down. Or did it not fit with the name of the topic?  If the moderators are sick of us complaining then maybe the problem will get fixed. 

Last night I did my usual routine of deleting the app and reinstalling, resetting device 3x and it didn't record the first 2 hours of sleep. 

Best Answer

@steveting99wrote:

Hi Niksia,

Might want to try some of the workarounds mentioned in the now closed off Sleep Stages Outage thread (used to be called Fitbit Charge 2 tracking sleep like a flex before the moderators changed it). None of the workarounds are satisfactory and Fitbit hasn't really acknowledged the issue - despite the complaints from many users. The fact that a moderator had to close the thread when more users complained about the failure of sleep stage monitoring kind of gives you an idea.

One point to make is to carry out multiple resets in a row (the recommendation is 3x) of the device.

Might also want to reset the mobile device as well to ensure the syncing is functioning.

If no one has said so, welcome to Fitbit's beta testers club!

As previously stated, I've done the recommended steps multiple times. That includes: resetting the Charge 2 repeatedly, resetting the app, I've had it replaced with a new one even though my previous one was 2 months old, moved it on my arm, changed the strap fitting.

Yeah.

New suggestions needed. Still hasn't worked at all today, and the **ahem** heart-rate tracking updates super slow on the app compared to the sleep tracking.

Best Answer

Might want to try the following:

(1) Switch heart rate monitoring from AUTO to ON.

(2) Wear the device inverted style. I.e. the below the wrist such that the display is facing towards the ground rather than up into the air.

There's going to be a sweet spot along the fore arm where continuous heart rate monitoring is going to be the best. It means experimenting, adjusting the tightness and position of the device so that every time one checks, there's always going to be heart rate reading in bpm. This can be crossed checked on your mobile device to see no gaps in the reading. 

To calculate sleep stages, Fitbit uses heart rate variability data via it's servers. When the servers failed on the 15-Feb-2018, there were many complaints by end users on why their sleep stage data no longer appears. Fitbit at least acknowledged this and once the servers were back up, the sleep stage data was 'back filled'. But the important heart rate variability data points must be made available to the servers for the algorithms to calculate the sleep stages.

No data points means no sleep stages.Man Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doesn't work as a solution sorry.

Mine seems to have lost the ability to track any sleep stages other than last night and the night before.

Been like this for nearly a month.

It gets worse the longer you leave it between sync's - the problem I suspect here is the Charge 2's memory and the way it stores details waiting till the next sync. The longer you leave it the more it forgets - maybe it is the EERPOM that is at fault. No idea but it is terrible for a product that is advertised as 'sleep tracking, tracks your sleep' etc when very clearly it isn't doing ir and not able to do it properly.

It is nothing to do with how it is worn in my case nor how I sleep, I am careful in these respects.

This needs a major update to sort out.

Only remember last night and previous nightOnly remember last night and previous night

Best Answer

I might try your suggestion Steve of changing the HR to 'ON' and see if it makes any difference, good idea!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Doesn’t make sense to have to change how you wear the device and all that. I delete and reinstall every night and reset the device 3x. Worked great for a week then didn’t. Now working again but the last 3 nights my first 2 hours of sleep are cut off. How can that be? Starts tracking at 2am when I’ve been deep asleep for about 2 hours. 

Best Answer
Thank you for your suggestions but I have already tried both to no avail !

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

My mother has been having the same issue with her FitBit Charge 2. It worked when she first got it. Now months later it doesn’t calculate it correctly at all. I have done every troubleshooting step I could think of and even contacted support which has been no help. My case was escalated but all I have been provided is the general information I find here. We both have the same tracker but I am really thinking about going with something different. I wish I would have known before I brought hers. I used to love FitBit devices. Now I feel like we aren’t valued as customers anymore. Sleep tracking was the main reason I recommended it to her. Now it’s not doing that. Waste of money and waste of time email their support. 

Best Answer
I've now given up trying. Maybe there's someone at Apple working on this problem but so far isn't getting anywhere?

I look forward to hearing from them!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Same here but honestly Apple is not the issue. It is completely Fitbit. It’s either the tracker or their app and I’m leaning more towards their tracker. Sad they won’t actually resolve it but will send you through loops to contact escalated support via email.
Best Answer
Community has tried to be helpful, but nothing works and I have tried all suggestions. I give up until Fitbit comes through and actually fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes