Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 not tracking sleep stages

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had my charge2 for a week and it won’t track the deep sleep rem and the stages it to track when I’m sleeping.   What do I do to fix it. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
448 REPLIES 448

Hey everyone! I'm so sorry to hear that most of you have been having issues with the sleep stages. I'd like to begin by saying that I understand that this is an important topic to the everyone in this thread, but I'll remind you that our Community Guidelines ask for civil discourse on these forums. 

Also, I thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service, platform and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

As it has been suggested in this thread, there was a temporary outage for Sleep Stages (2/15) that has since been resolved. Now that our team has confirmed this outage was fixed.

Moving forward, if the trouble when receiving sleep stages persists, please check this post. You can also reference our help article for more information about how the sleep stages work. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you guys need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marissa_Jwrote:
Same here but honestly Apple is not the issue. It is completely Fitbit. It’s either the tracker or their app and I’m leaning more towards their tracker. Sad they won’t actually resolve it but will send you through loops to contact escalated support via email.

I almost convinced it's software -- what data is collected by the device (firmware), a problem syncing that data (firmware/app), the processing on Fitbit's servers, or a combination of them all. The hardware works. It's unlikely the large number of us who have ongoing issues (like me) have intermittent issues when people like my wife have very few outages. Our Charge 2s were bought directly from FB within two weeks of each other. More than likely both were part of the same manufacturing run.

An interesting data point would be from where and when were problem devices bought?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been following this thread closely as it has affected my use of my charger 2 also. I’ve not seen any uncivil discourse about this issue. Are we frustrated? Yes. Are we questioning the company and what you are doing to address the problem? Yes.   But for all the frustrations I think it’s been pretty tame. Can you give an example of uncivil discourse on this thread? Thank you 

Best Answer
Just for comparison sake, prior to having a fitbit i used Jawbone for 2 years. During this time the Jawbone never once failed to track my various sleep stages. The downside of Jawbone was that it only did track resting heart rate and not when you were active.

As i specifically wanted my HR tracked when being active, I switched to a Fitbit charge 2. Since having the Fitbit , it has never tracked my sleep stages. I will also say it is not solely Charge 2 because if i switch with my wife Fitbit Alta HR - it also does not track my sleep, and as i have posted before my wife wearing my Charge 2- it tracked her sleep stages every time.

So bear in mind - in my case I believe it is down to me having Atrial Fibrillation. However, the fact that Jawbone devices worked perfectly for me shows that the software used by Fitbit in the resting stages are inferior to those used by Jawbone.

Dr S Newman
Best Answer

@steven33wrote:
Just for comparison sake, prior to having a fitbit i used Jawbone for 2 years. During this time the Jawbone never once failed to track my various sleep stages. The downside of Jawbone was that it only did track resting heart rate and not when you were active.

As i specifically wanted my HR tracked when being active, I switched to a Fitbit charge 2. Since having the Fitbit , it has never tracked my sleep stages. I will also say it is not solely Charge 2 because if i switch with my wife Fitbit Alta HR - it also does not track my sleep, and as i have posted before my wife wearing my Charge 2- it tracked her sleep stages every time.

So bear in mind - in my case I believe it is down to me having Atrial Fibrillation. However, the fact that Jawbone devices worked perfectly for me shows that the software used by Fitbit in the resting stages are inferior to those used by Jawbone.

Dr S Newman

Dr, Newman -- this would coincide with my observations as well.

The hardware works. I'm convinced that the probability of hardware glitches causing the intermittent types of sleep stage "outages" is minimal. Hardware of this nature either works or it doesn't. The ability of the software to properly interpret the gathered data has to be suspect. I also question the ability of the Fitbit servers to handle the processing load during periods of peak demand. It seems to me the reliability of sleep stages reporting increases significantly when my first sync is outside of potential peak demands times (mid-morning instead of between 6:00 and 7:00 am).

Additionally Fitbit's algorithms don't seem to handle the wide range of physiological differences that exist in the "real world". . .

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem ! My husband an I both had our Charge 2 at the same time mine work for a couple of days then stopped !  His has always worked.  So we swapped but his did not work for me but mine did work for him !  So I have now given up as it must be something to do with me 😡

Best Answer
0 Votes
And I'm sure the problem lies with my heartbeats. That's why it doesn't work at the moment, but maybe Fitbit could make it clever enough to deal with abnormal beats as I'm sure I do get the different sleep stages. ❤️

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Suggest you see a GP to check if you have atrial fibrillation. Many people have this and do not know.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
UPDATE !!
I actually got a sleep stage reading last night for the 1st time since 14th January!!

Sent from my iPhone

Kerry
Best Answer

@steven33wrote:
Suggest you see a GP to check if you have atrial fibrillation. Many people have this and do not know.

Sent from my iPad

Not sure who your replying to --

I have no issues with my charge 2 measuring normal heart rate -- resting or active. Fitbit has indicated that Sleep Stages requires HRV data with is a subset of overall heart rate. I'm sure you probably know this! I have been told this is more difficult to measure than regular HR.

All that said -- my checkups have not indicated any atrial fibrillation issues. . .

Best Answer
0 Votes
I get quite a lot of ectopic beats, which I think could cause the problem. Had an ECG last week which sent everyone running in circles until I said this had happened before. I hope this triggers a description of symptoms such as perpetual tiredness caused by the condition, instead of just leaving me guessing!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting to read through the thread. My Charge 2 did not provide sleep stages twice in the last week, including last night.

Someone mentioned that syncing at peak times could be the cause. It just so happens that the two times I had issue this week was when I synced just before 7 a.m. whereas my husband syncs his later in the morning and his worked fine.

Fitbit representatives; could time of uploading data cause the problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back guys!  I'm very glad to hear that most of you have received your sleep stages again. Yas! Cat Very Happy

For the ones who haven't received them yet, please double check what I've provided hereRobot Very Happy Don't lose the hope! 

Well @Tessfully, I don't think so. What I've noticed is that when I sync my sleep data I need to sync twice in a row. I don't think the time of syncing would affect your data, can you try syncing twice in a row?

I'll be around guys! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't had sleep stages since Feb 14th.... Almost a month! Not even one instance of sleep stages. I contacted Fitbit but I haven't gotten anywhere, it keeps coming back to the suggestions we've had before and the issue with HRV tracking.

I hope fewer people are in this boat now, I mostly just ignore my tracker except to sync it a few times a day. I've been resetting it on charges to see if it helps but nothing yet.

Oh well.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It only worked for 4 days !!!! Not working again now !!!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine worked fine for 9 months and for last 2 weeks will not track the stages of sleep.

Very frustrasting

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has worked for over a year and just stopped 11 days ago. I've put in a ticket and all I've gotten is "where are working on it". I'm so fustrated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello. Mine appears to be ok now. I plugged my fitbit into charger. While charging held the button on the left side in, until it vibrated and the fitbit symbol appeared. It's been fine since. Mine stopped working at same time as yours and like several others from reading comments on forum. Fitbit obviously did something to cause our problem. 

Hope this works for you. My sleeping pattern is terrible, so liked to know if I was getting deep sleep.

Karen

Best Answer
0 Votes

My tracker breaks up my nicht regurlary because it monitors me being awake for a long time, which I do not was. So it breaks my night up in 2 periods of sleeping with a beak of a few hours in between.

I have already adjusted the settings of sleep monitoring to ‘light’ 

Is there more I can do to fix this? 

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Hi Sanmah

Mine was a different problem, just not recognising the stages of sleep.  I ended up contacting the Fitbit support team (can be found on Fitbit web page).  I sent them an email, detailing my problem and got a personal reply from them advising me what to do.  My Fitbit is working perfecting now (I think they must have done some updates, causing several people to have problems with their Fitbits).  It was just a case of restarting mine to solve things - plug into charger (keep plugged in and hold down the button at the side for about 6 seconds) this will cause Fitbit to vibrate and the Fitbit symbol will appear.  Only at this stage disconnect from your charger.  It's worth a try, it worked for me.  If not contact Support - good luck.  Karen

Best Answer