Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relax Guided Breathing Sessions

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

2016-08-25_BlogPosts_GuidedBreathing_Blog_730x485.jpg

Charge 2 provides Relax, an on-device personalized guided breathing sessions, based on your heart rate to help you find moments of calm throughout the day. You can choose between two-minute and five-minute long sessions. You can begin a Relax guided breathing session by:

1. Pressing the button on your Charge 2 until you see "Breathe".
  2. The two-minute session is the first option. Tap to choose the five-minute session.
  3. Press and hold the button to start.
  4. Remain still and breathe deeply during the calibration period, which lasts 30-40 seconds. You’ll see the phrase “sensing your breathing” on your tracker’s screen.
  5. When prompted, follow the guide and breathe deeply. Sparkles will appear on your tracker’s screen to indicate how closely you’re following the guide.
  6. After you’ve completed the session, press the button to return to the clock.

What's important to note is that all notifications are automatically disabled during a guided breathing session. If you’ve set a silent alarm, your Charge 2 will vibrate at the time specified.

Click here for more information about Relax, including the benefits of practicing deep breathing and safety information.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
106 REPLIES 106

Hi Beth; I am unaware of being able to set any such parameter on Charge2.  I don't think this would be a benefical function.  Two decades ago, I used a heart rate monitor when I did aerobics. I set the high and low ranges of aerbic effiency in heartrate bpm.  This worked great but I soon found the level of intesnity I had to put-out to get in that zone.  With the Charge2, you can set-up ther default display so it displays your heart rate (along with the date and time.)  If you mean that you want an alert as a signal that you are becoming 'stressed out'. I would encourage you to learn to recongize such signals and pre-cursors within your body and mind.  By the time a Charge 2 to any heart-rate monitor has told you that your heart-rate has spiked, you are already in a 'sub-optimal state'. At best, you are reacting.  What got you into that state to begin with?  I apply cognitve beahiour therapy (CBT) techqniues to keep my mind from getting hijacked in the first place,.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hear you! Wonderful advice. Thanks!:) I typically use the Fitbit breathing function before meeting with clients - as well as before meetings (it definitely gets me in a calm frame of mind). 🙂

Best Answer

@andrea444 wrote:

@Dominique sure, I understand what you're saying.  I answered someone who asked if they should get this device for the purpose of the relaxation feature and if it was personalized similar to biofeedback, which it is not.  It's a great FitBit, I love mine.  I wouldn't suggest for someone to buy it just for this one feature though.  I suggest phone apps that have audio so you don't have to hold your wrist at an awkward angle and watch a screen. 
Glad you like yours though, we all have different features we enjoy. 

@andrea444 you don't need to look at the screen, the vibrations tell you when to breathe in and breathe out. I think the vibrations are way better than audio, but that's just personal opinion like most comments on here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do many kinds of meditation - guided, body scans, breathing, etc. So even if I am confortable with the technique, I still really enjoy the Relax feature. It's grounding and helps me focus on the breathing. 

My recommendation is to have the option to increase to more than 5 minutes. 

Best Answer

"As for Breathing I saw that you can now have a vibration alert you when to go from inhale-exhale."

Where is the setting to turn on the vibration alert?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I didn't have to turn it on, it automatically does it on my Charge 2.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Agreed.  The gym I go to has a sauna, which is a great place to do a 5 minute relax session.  It got me thinking a 10 minute session would be great.  I think it would be a useful feature that would require minimal resources for FitBit to develop.

Best Answer

@Harleysmom572

Thank you, my reply was written when the Charge 2 first came out. It didn't have vibrations then. The vibrations were introduced in the recent software update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is strange becuase my Charge2 doesn't vibrate.  I do not want to pursue it as I like the visual signal and do not want the vibrations.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@john-is-my-name wrote:

This is strange becuase my Charge2 doesn't vibrate.  I do not want to pursue it as I like the visual signal and do not want the vibrations

Hmm not really sure why yours doesn't vibrate, i just got my charge2 over Christmas and it vibrates for text alerts, call notifications, silent alarm, when I meet my steps, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@andrea444 @Harleysmom572 @john-is-my-name Relax guided breathing sessions vibrate if you've updated your Charge 2 to firmware version 22.48.14. Click here to see what's changed in the latest tracker update.

Also, you can find instructions on how to update here.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

@john-is-my-name once you do the software update, you have no choice... You'll have vibrations during relaxation feature. There's no way to turn them off. 

Best Answer

Thank you Derek. Unfortunately I can never find the relax screen no matter how many times I push my Fitbit charge 2 button. The sequence it goes through is the date and my heart rate, weights, stopwatch, and notifications. My son took me through a trial run when I first got my Fitbit and we were able to get to the relax screen but since then I have been unable to find it on my own. I have watched the video in your help section and read several posts on the subject. Everything seems fairly straightforward except it does not appear on my Fitbit. Help please? Thank you so much for your patience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @st3hess, im going to assume your firmware is up to date, and for some reason the relax menu was disabled.

Lets open the app - go to Account - Charge 2 - Menu Items. From here you can enable, disable, or re-arainge  to your hearts desire. If the relax menu is already enabled, lets move one of the menus around, this will force Fitbt to refresh the the menus and the relax should now show.

This can also be done through the web in your device settings. From fitbit.com click tye gear found in the top right - then the  Charge 2

Best Answer
Thank you so much but I still can't find the relax feature on either the
Fitbit menu for my account or via the web as you suggested. I'm befuddled.
Everything else seems to be fine and I'm quite sure I have the most recent
version. I'll keep hunting - thank you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay I don't know what screen I was on and I can't find my way back to it but I did find a screen that had little check off boxes and for some reason relax mode was not checked. I checked it and now relax mode shows on the Fitbit charge 2 model. I appreciate your help. Now I just want to figure out how I found it in the first place. It's not under my - not sure why

Best Answer
0 Votes

@st3hess Do you manage your fitbit through the app? If so try going to accounts then click on your device. In the next list pick menu items and that is where the check boxes are.

Best Answer

Thanks for your concern, Andrea, DerrickFitbit, and Harleysmom572. The problem tunred out to be a faulty device as my CHrage2 died an early death 😞 . Fitbit honoured their warranty at lightening speed and I am now confguring my replacement Charge2.   In the Relax ap, it vibrates as it should 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

My breaths are longer then what the fitbit want me to breath so this just stresses me Is there a way to make the guide longer the inhales and exhales ?

Best Answer

I had a similar issue. What I do now is just breath in every two vibrations, and do the same for breathing out. Works for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes