Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Altimeter / Floor Counter for Charge 5?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Does Charge 5 have an altimeter or some other way to count floors climbed? I bought the Luxe without fully investigating all the specs and want to make sure. 

Best Answer
238 REPLIES 238

Had I known that Fitbit was removing flights from the Charge 5, I never would have gotten it. If you only want to track steps - go cheap.  Premium isn't worth the price. Not at all impressed in the 5. More money than my charge 4 was and it does less. Oh wait - it has a color screen.  WHO CARES!!!!!

Best Answer

@RocketJSquirrel as with anything we purchase, it's a good idea to research it to read the specifications and features. Sorry you're not happy without the altimeter function, but not everyone tracks flights of stairs. I don't and none of my real life Fitbit using friends do. A color screen is nice and bright.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
Such a cop out. This Fitbit is missing a feature that most people expect to be there because it was in every version before it.

People aren’t complaining because they didn’t research their purchase, they’re complaining because the latest and greatest version is missing a key feature of every Fitbit they’ve owned previously and had no reason to expect to have been removed from the newest version.

For many people it’s an essential feature and now they’re stuck with a device they’ve paid for that doesn’t do what they had every reason to expect it to do.

Cheers,

Andrew
Best Answer

That’s a bummer. I just got one as a gift. I have an older charge that does track my stairs and will be using that more often. 

Best Answer

From a consumer perspective the Charge 5 is perceived an upgrade to previous models.  Taking away the accelerometer algorithm for counting floors which has been a core feature on all Charge products since at least the Charge 2 is very disappointing.  I can no longer track my floors and earn badges for hitting floor milestones which I've been doing for over 6 years. 😞 

It's disheartening to not have seen floor count as well all activity tracking features made more clearly visible on a product comparison chart on the web site.  When core features are removed (sunset) from a product upgrade they should be called out and customers offered an explanation to assist in making a product selection and purchase decision.

Although the Charge 5 has many new features that are helpful for tracking health and fitness it's misleading to state on the device description "Meet our most advanced fitness & health tracker".  Removing a core feature that many customers have become accustomed to without a reasonable explanation is a sign of misguided decision making and poor judgment by the Charge product team.

I've returned my device purchased on Amazon and will stick with my older Charge 2 until this feature is reinstated in the Charge 5 or implemented into a future Charge model.  I may consider the Charge 4 but this experience has me wondering if I should remain in the Fitbit ecosystem.  What other core features will be removed in the next generation Charge product?  I shouldn't have to worry about this and shouldn't be told to read the full product description and determine for myself what features have been removed.

Best Answer

I need to replace my Charge 4.  As much as I want a Charge 5, I don't think I can do without the altimeter. I walk, bike, hike, and run up hills all the time. Knowing home may flights of stairs I've done is a key component of my exercise. I get that they can't squeeze everything in. I was surprised to see this dropped. I suspect it isn't use heavily by most people. 

Best Answer

Absolutely mate, I am shocked. I am looking at replacing this **ahem**ty device by something else. What a joke

Best Answer

So I paid MORE for the Charge 5 and it doesn't count stairs/floor, whereas my Charge 4 did? If I had known that ahead of time, I sure would have thought twice before buying the Charge 5. 

Best Answer

Is your Charge 4 working ok? If it is can you return the Charge 5? I really wanted the new Charge 5 especially with the color screen but I want the stair counter more. Hopefully Fitbit will bring the stair counter back 🤞

Best Answer

A **ahem**ic move to remove floor counting. What is next ? Stop counting steps? Did they ever conduct a survey of users? Perhaos, the product is adding features to payable services and keeping the basic for free. I am done.

Best Answer

Yes it’s all very strange I shall now being buying misses a Charge 4 instead just for stairs counter. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to share all your feedback about the Charge 5. 

As you all mentioned earlier, this device does not include the option to track floors. The Charge 5 includes many of the features available with Fitbit smartwatches at a more accessible price, but the option to track floors wasn't included with this specific device. You can find all the features available with this tracker on the Charge 5 Product Manual and on the Fitbit Store

Thank you again for sharing all your comments and your experience with this; this is always useful to continue to improving the quality of products and services. Although the possibility to include this feature on the Charge 5 is Not Currently Planned, I do recommend that you vote for these ideas posted in the Community forums: 

This is helpful for the team of developers to continue to track popularity and demand over time. 

Have a good day. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Hi and thanks for listening to us. Hopefully in the future a new Fitbit with a color screen and a stair counter will be included 🤞. I’m sure we will be watching.

Best Answer

Sorry but if we wanted smart watches we would have bought smart watches. I have been with fitbit since dang near day one. This is one of the biggest disappointments fitbit has ever laid on us. have a redo and get it back on the charge style units. 

Craig Raper

Please remember to mark posts as solved if you got the answers you needed. If you didn't find them here please tell us what did work. Also please if you find posts and remarks helpful vote for them.

Best Answer

I have been counting floors since I got my original Fitbit One.  I am also extremely disappointed that Fitbit omitted the altimeter from the Charge 5.  My daughter's Charge 2 is still going strong and I have offered her newer devices.  When I told her that Fitbit released the Charge 5, but left out the altimeter, she looked straight at me and said, "Then I don't want one."

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks for these links to vote for feature. 👍
Due to limited space inside the device, if I had a choice of color screen or stair count, for my purposes, I would choose the device with stair count over color screen.  

It must be challenging / interesting for the engineers, developers & decision makers to choose (trade-offs) what fits in each new / updated fitbit!! 🙂

Best Answer

For those who don't use Apple products, this is a non-answer/suggestion. And, I don't need a smart watch as I already have a watch that works just fine (self-winding automatic). If I had 3 arms, maybe I'd consider it. Meanwhile, a Charge Tracker is just right—exvept for the loss of the altimeter/stair tracker.

Best Answer

To no include an altimeter in the Charge 5 is a complete step down. Very disappointing!!!!

Best Answer

Hi everyone, I understand this can be frustrating to many users, so thank you again for all your comments about this. I'm sure the team of developers will take all this feedback into consideration. 

Have a good day. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Get the Charge 4 it has it. That’s what I’m getting. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer