Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.61

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

7/13 Update: We’re continuing to roll out this firmware for the Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.61, and expect more customers are able to update their devices. This is a progressive rollout and all customers can expect to have it within a few weeks. We release updates in phases so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. If you don't see the option to update, don't worry - you'll have it soon!

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.61 for Charge 5 will be available soon! Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here. For more details, please 
see this Community Blog post.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,167 REPLIES 1,167

I have the older version of the firmware listed on my app also saying it is up-to-date Approximately a week ago when syncing my device I was prompted that a firmware upgrade was available and was implemented. I cannot recall what the number of the firmware was.  That’s when my Fitbit charge 5!began its erratic behaviour. all troubleshooting steps have been tried, and nothing has brought my Fitbit back to life.

Best Answer

I’m so done with Fitbit. Recalls on 2 different models and now my Charge5 is blank and won’t reset. I think I’m done with trackers in general…

Best Answer

Well, my Charge 5 is still functional, but practically unusable since it is down to 2-3 hours of battery time after the firmware update. Why are you at Fitbit not communicating the progress to fix your firmware mess? It is such a poor brand management. Soon I will give up on you and turn elsewhere.

Best Answer

Agreed!  I cancelled my subscription and went with a different brand after my fully functional Charge 5 bricked with no help from Fitbit except for a 35% discount....

Best Answer

Agreed. I reached out to Fitbit's customer service regarding my non-functional Charge 5 after a firmware update. Unfortunately, the device is completely unresponsive despite following all the instructions given by the support team. They assured me that they would escalate the issue to their review team and get back to me later. However, they have a limited window of 24 to 48 hours before I start considering alternatives to the Fitbit brand. It's disheartening because I've always been a fan of Fitbit's charge wristbands, having owned and enjoyed the Charge 2 and 3 models. The Charge 5 was particularly exciting for me due to its vibrant display, built-in GPS, and impressive battery life. But now, with this unfortunate bricking incident, I'm seriously considering exploring other options.

Best Answer

My Charge 5 is dead after the update. I only had it since March 2022. 

Best Answer

My charge 5 went dark two days ago, on July 15. No warning and no screen to choose settings and restart the thing. Plunging it into the PC hasn't helped. Is there anyway to fix this? 

Best Answer

I spent $129.99 for the Charge 5 in November of 2021. The failed update left me without a watch, without a fitness device, and without my constant reminders throughout the day. If you read the forums, you'll see that there are likely hundreds of users with dead devices - maybe more. Some can get a warranty replacement, and others, like me, are out of luck.

Best Answer

It seems to be the same thing every time with a firmware update. People here are postings complaining about it. Although I haven't yet gotten the latest update, I'm curious about those that have. Is it ok? Please post if so.

Aria, Charge 5, and Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (Android One) user.
Best Answer

I am trying to update the firmware for a few days now but the tracker would not turn on. On pressing the USB button while charging would make the device vibrate for a second and flash the Fitbit logo and then the display turns back to black. I finally removed the tracker from my app (remove device) and tried pairing again (while the tracker was charging). Now, when I try to set up again, my fitbit app on the phone recognizes the tracker but to connect, it asks for a 4-digit pin which is supposedly being displayed on my UNRESPONSIVE tracker with a black screen.

Is there a way to get the 4-digit pin via email so that I can try to update the firmware which hopefully would be the miraculous solution?  

Best Answer

Can anybody report that they got the new firmware and don't have any issues? Of course it's hard to tell how widespread this problem is. People without problems aren't likely to post . I have fortunately not received the update yet, so everything is working fine.

Best Answer

I told support I’m not going to use a 35% discount towards another Fitbit especially if they can’t guarantee it won’t happen again. Why are we expected to purchase a new tracker when the damage was not done on our end? This reminds me of all of the confusion during the Ionic recall. If there is no fix, just say so but be realistic that most won’t purchase what was a perfectly working tracker before the firmware. Maybe Fitbit is the new pebble…

Best Answer

Mine won't update, no matter what I try. But judging from the issues people are having, maybe that's best. 

Best Answer

@mikey_pdx @It sounds like some were updated automatically, that’s what I’ve gathered from this. @chilehead you are correct, I only come here if I’m having an issue. Most won’t come here to say everything is great. It would be interesting to know a percentage that have issues to those who do not. 

Best Answer

I've had my Charge 5 since December 2021, I paid $150 for it, plus bought multiple different straps and extra chargers. Up until now, it has worked pretty well with no major problems. But my device completely bricked on July 1. It does not appear to be something I did, but Google/Fitbit are taking no responsibility and expecting us to just buy a new device with a small discount. So of course I'm here to complain, because I absolutely have every right and reason too. I am out several hundred dollars for something I DIDN'T DO! This is insane that they would do this to their customers. 

Best Answer

I did the update ~10 days and my Charge 5 has worked fine and has normal battery life. I see the new workouts listing (with recents at the top) and the app shows the new version, so I know that the update was installed. The only "problem" I have is that the new watch faces are not showing up. However, I contacted Fitbit and was told that the new faces won't appear until the update has finished rolling out. I'm not sure whether I should say that is an issue or not, given that Fitbit support isn't always accurate with this kind of information -- the delayed availability may be part of the plan, or may be a bug.

Best Answer

@adamweiss  this happened before after an update where all features didn’t appear and was told they appear gradually until all devices have received the update! And this was before google took over. What a convoluted way to do an update. When Apple Watch has an update it goes to ALL eligible watches with ALL the newest features. I don’t have the latest charge 5 update yet and have never had an issue with my device. Once I heard there was one rolling out I came on the forum to find out why I hadn’t received it yet. 

Best Answer

I contacted customer support and they offered me 35% off a new device. I clearly did nothing wrong as this is affecting so many people in the same way.

Best Answer

I've not had the update, I'm in the UK and my firmware is 57.20001.188.58.  I have no problems or issues at the moment (fingers crossed it stays this way).  What I do know is that if you're in the UK and have this issue out of warranty you need to contact Trading Standards as I know that as Fitbit broke the product they will have to replace it.  

Best Answer

I have the older firmware (188.58) and still, my battery drains in 7-8 hours since last sunday (july 16). WITHOUT any update.
I've had the same issue a few months back, they gave me this one and now it's broken again. At this point, i'm starting to believe that the problem is sistemic, since even my previous fitbit inspire died the same way last year (out of warranty).
3 devices out of 3, two different models, with the same problem. Dudes, you'r doing it wrong.

Best Answer