Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 black screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We have a Charge 5 that's only a few months old. This morning it stopped synching. The screen is black. We have tried the reset and it only flashes the Fitbit logo and does nothing else. Not sure what else to do.

Best Answer
336 REPLIES 336

They offered me 35% off so I could think about buying another defective product? They should figure out root cause and recall these units no matter how old they are for a replacement. 

Best Answer

I had the same problem. I went for a quick swim and my Fitbit Charge 5 screen went black. I tried restarting it and nothing worked. It was tracking my steps and it vibrated when I got a text. I put it away and now two weeks later it appears to be working. 

Best Answer

Your Charge 5 screen now working again?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

no choice to get it replace 1 to 1 from fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No it's dead still. I will never buy another one of these, or any of their **ahem**ty products again. Getting 35% off something that will die in a few months is ridiculous.

Best Answer
No.

- D...
Best Answer
0 Votes

It literally said in the original question that the restart doesn't work. Lol, I've tried it eight times now. Do you have an actual answer, or is it time to switch brands? Good products don't stop working only a few months after purchase, and it seems that lots of people are having this issue. 

Customer Support has offered me a replacement since I contacted them through the FitBit app. I wanted to delete my initial reply since the issue is technically resolved for me, but it doesn't look like I can. Anyway, consider this an update from me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you open up these Fitbits? I have one with the usual black screen of death syndrome, and thought maybe I'd open it up to see what's inside. Is it just adhesive holding the display on the case?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

The support team number is a US number. What if I live in the uk?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine too. There was definitely a software update because mine had over 50% when I went to bed and then it was dead today. That only happens when an update happens.  Ow my screen won't light up. It is syncing because I can see that in the app but cannot see anything on the screen. Ugh.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve had 4 fitbits now from charge 3 through to 5 and the hardware always fails within 18 months. I’m not having another. It’s Garmin for me now!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
They do seem problematic. I wonder if anyone knows why this happens when
such regularity - almost as if it's designed in for guaranteeing ongoing
sales revenue, if it's something that has to do with firmware, but that
would probably be a risky tactic if unearthed 😉
Just real odd that it's still a recurring issue with all the different
designs and models they have. You'd think someone would have been able to
determine the failure mode and correct it by now, instead of simply
offering replacements when they fail and a sale price discount when they
fall out of warranty.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Precisely, looks like it's the update that's caused this, then when not try and fix that? 

I had the same issue this morning, updated the app, and then charger screen went blank.

I had an Inspire HR for 4 years before this and no issues, this one is less than 6 months and already packed up according to support, who have as other offered a replacement. 

If it is

Best Answer

Dear Support,

my Charge 5 is 18months old and it broke. There is balck screen and condensation/water on the inside and i have always had water protection on and i never went to swim with it! I really like the App but the charge 5 is not a good quality.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s exactly what happened to me.  Quick swim and the screen went black.  What pisses me off is that this is the 2nd Fitbit I’ve had this issue with.  Might be time for another brand.

Best Answer

MIne has just gone black screen. Tried the charger button reset. That makes no difference. Doesn't charge and will not sync with phone app.

15 months old.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here's something weird.  I just took a toothpick to the connector electrodes on the back of the watch.  Cleaned them out.  Magically, the screen came back on.  It's worth a try ...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, Fitbit customer services, this black screen issue isn't isolated cases.  So many people have it.  How can you claim the 50 meters water resistance if it can't stand a splash??  

Best Answer

Today (31/05/2023) my fitbit (the replacement unit, see earlier post Nov 23) experience another blank screen. I haven't contacted the customer support. I am going to email them and paste their response here....

So far, the replacement unit has lasted more or less 5 months. I've been really careful with this one, including taking it off when taking shower or washing hands -- although I also use it when swimming. 

Best Answer