Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 black screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We have a Charge 5 that's only a few months old. This morning it stopped synching. The screen is black. We have tried the reset and it only flashes the Fitbit logo and does nothing else. Not sure what else to do.

Best Answer
336 REPLIES 336

Go into your profile (icon at top of dashboard), then click "view account settings", then click the "notification" tab on the left. Here you can specify what, if any, emails you want to receive

Best Answer

Your link to chat online is broken [https://myhelp.fitbit.com/s/errorpage?language=en_US]

Best Answer
0 Votes

Flat end??? A Charge5.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Brand new out of the box today and I have the same issue!!  Charged to 100% and then went totally unresponsive!! 

Went through all the suggested steps and no change. Went through the same steps with an agent online, still unresponsive. 

Now I have to return a brand new product to the technical team before they will discuss a replacement!

Even more frustrating as my old Charge 5 started doing the same thing and I assumed it was just because it was getting old.....but maybe not!!!

Really doubting whether I want a replacement device which may last a few months only to do the same thing again.....by which time they may not be so willing to offer a replacement! 

Very disappointing! 

Best Answer

I finally found that button when you said it was by the USB port. (I kept looking underneath the flat part that connects to the watch, abs found no button until your helpful comment!). However, my watch just vibrates three times, and I still cannot get any reaction on the black screen. According to the app, mine went down to

30-some percent. Hoping after charging it a bit longer, some additional action will occur.

-------------

How are you even able to see the click face? I pressed the button 3x (at the USB port) and felt three short vibrations on the watch device, but still have no action on the screen. It remains totally black. Can’t change watch face if I see nothing on it. 🤷‍:female_sign:

*Sorry! That should say *Clock* face—not *click* face. Lol.

Best Answer

lol, same here at first

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey I am having the same problem.
The screen was black and unresponsive. 
I put it to charge and have some vibration feedback.

Nothing changed.
I've reset by pushing the button 3x 1sec. Then started the flashing Fitbit blue icon.
Not it's stuck in an error screen with a red circle and an X inside. 

Best Answer

Was yours in warranty still or out of warranty? I am having the same issues as many. Thanks 

Best Answer

login online and check with fitbit CS

Best Answer
0 Votes

This seems to be a common problem with the Charge 5. Mine crashed after abt 3-4 months. CS was prompt and sent me a replacement without too much fuss. however I'm wondering if this is going to happen again, after the warranty expires?

Best Answer

Hey there! Thanks for your note! I tried going through the app and changing the style of clock face. That got mine out of the error mode… but! Something is still making the battery go down rapidly “behind the scenes!” Finally I called support and the are going to replace my less-tha-a-year-old watch. I just need to find the emailThey sent me that authorizes this! 
It’s a bummer that there doesn’t seem to be a fix. In the meantime, I charge it all the way up, wear it a few minutes, and it actually gives me some steps (they don’t increase on the app unless you manually sync), and then the battery goes back down to zero. So like I’m showing only a few steps a day… 🙁

--------------

Hi there! Mine is still under warranty. They said they will replace it for me. Hope yours is still under warranty, too! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Going to get a replacement that won’t work

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went for a swim today and it started doing a similar thing, now it just shows the fitbit logo and flashing lights on the back. Can’t turn it on, off, or restart it. Got this watch 4 months ago… 

Best Answer

Just another customer with a dead Charge 5. I contacted support today. After verifying that I followed some troubleshooting steps, they said an email would be sent supplying the next steps. I purchased the device over a year ago so I imagine my warranty is probably expired. Anyone here received help after warranty expiration? Love my Fitbit but certainly cannot buy a new one every year!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue. I did the reset as per the instructions, it vibrated after few seconds but nothing appeared on the screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And chat will refer you to something you have to pay for first? Why should I pay for a problem Fitbit caused in the first place? This is ridiculous!

Best Answer

Charge 5 definitely has serious design / build issue.  I bought 2 Charge 5 and both died within 2 years. I contacted the support. They only suggested to do the same steps and quickly concluded that it's not recoverable.  Then immediately proceed checking the warranty status.  It really make me feels that they know that it is a broadly common problem.  

All they do is to give a discount coupon for replacement unit.  Who would trust Fitbit again to buy replacement if the quality is so bad?  

Best Answer

And what should I do if that doesn't work? My girlfriend has a Charge 5 and pressing the button on charger does nothing..?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Follow up --- Customer service checked my warranty and offered me a 35% discount on a new device. They are friendly and doing their job as best they can, but it's very obvious they know there is an issue.

Best Answer

Take the 35% discount offer from Fitbit to buy another one which will likely turn bricked some time soon.  Or buy from other brand.  I am going to get a Samsung Watch 5.  Bye bye Fitbit.  Thanks for the disappointing quality.

Best Answer