Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 stopped working after getting wet

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m so frustrated.  I had an Inspire for a few years and loved it so much I decided to upgrade to Charge 5.  Everything was OK until I went in the pool with it.  And I’m talking wading, not even lap swimming.  I sat in the water for maybe 15 minutes and my watch just died.  All it does is flash the Fitbit logo on the screen, and the moment I try to reset it, it goes dark.  No response whatsoever.  I must say it happened about three months ago (I have had it for less than half a year) after showering, but back then I was able to restart it no prob.  Again, I am so, so frustrated, because otherwise it was working just fine and I really loved it.  What can I do? Sadly, I don’t have proof of purchase anymore 😞

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56

Hi there, @Monik66. Thanks for stopping by in the Fitbit Community Forums and sharing the details about the issue with your Charge 5. I understand how you must be feeling.

If your device got wet, it’s important to take it off and dry it well before putting it back on. On the other hand, if your device has come into contact with any liquid other than fresh water, you should clean it with fresh water and a soap-free cleanser and dry it with a lint free-cloth.

If you've done the above but to no avail, may I know if your Charge 5 vibrated during the restart process? If it didn't, I'd recommend trying the steps below:

• Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?
  • If the error "insufficient power source" appears on your device's screen, remove other devices plugged in to your power source, or plug your device in to another source.
  • Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.
  • Check the alignment and try reconnecting your device to the charging cable. For more information, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  • Restart your Fitbit once again.
Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done it all, and no, no vibration during restart, because it simply did not restart. Flashing logo on the screen and then goes black as soon as I try to restart. 😞

IMG_8728.jpeg

This is what I see, and it’s flashing.  

Best Answer

Same happened to me however mine vibrates when I restart but don’t see logo and screen won’t turn on.

Best Answer

Hi mines done exactly the same as yours, I’ve got mine in a bag of dry rice at the moment. Putting me off buying another. Supposed to be water resistant up to 50 metres. 

wonder if Fitbit will send us out a new watch. Not our fault their product has failed is it 

P.s. I think I’ve reported your post by accident . 

----------

If it doesn’t switch back on soon I’ll have to cancel my premium

----------

Exactly, not our fault.  We’ll see if tomorrow I’m able to talk to someone.   I was really surprised to see how many people have had the same problem! 

Best Answer

Exactly, not our fault.  We’ll see if tomorrow I’m able to talk to someone.   I was really surprised to see how many people have had the same problem! 

Best Answer

Set to swimming mode. The water lock was in lock position. Proceeded to swim for 40 minutes. Got out of pool. Rinsed the Charge5 with fresh water. Dried thoroughly. with towel. Tabbed hard on screen twice per instruction for unlocking the device. Nothing happened. Screen stayed black.  Connected to charger. No sign of life. Changed different charging port. Nada. Deleted Charge5 from Fitbit phone app. Tried adding device. My phone Bluetooth couldn't detect a Charge5. First time to get it wet per instruction and it is dead. 

----------

I tried all the steps you listed. Still dead.

Best Answer

I know it’s pathetic, I would have got a charge 4 that’s totally water proof if I’d known the charge 5 was this bad. Surely they should replace them

What is a water lock? I never did that with mine or put it in water mode. I just went swimming with it and mine won’t come back on. I just get a logo come on then go off. 

Best Answer

Hi Danny,

If you have the Charge5 user manual 1.2, it is stated on page 17 and 18.

There are two places to access the function. 1. from the clock face scroll down until the water lock. 2. scroll left (I am guessing here since my device is dead) to the swim activity and it will automatically engage the water lock function. 

I love my Charge5. Never try swimming with it until today. Should have visit the forum first before i took the swim.

There are two places to access the lock and unlock function. One is from the
clock face. Scroll down until the water lock function. The other is from the
swim mode in the activity app. No matter, Fitbit has a water resistance
problem. I love the Charger5, but always in the back of my mind whether I
should trust its claim of waterproof. It took me almost a year to try to
swim with it. I should have visit the Fitbit forum before taking a swim in
the pool.

Best Answer
I’m in shock looking at how many cases there are!
Best Answer

Just back from swimming. The charge 5 lasted about 30min, went to check the time and found it to be unresponsive, black screen. Washed it with fresh water and now that I’m home I’ve placed it on charge. A few minutes later it was vibrating continuously, becoming annoying to the point my kids were wanting to destroy it 🙂 Did some googling and found out about the three press restart. This seemed to settle the vibrating down to a soft/weak continuous vibration and I now have the logo flashing. I’m not able to have it progress from this state. Contacted support and awaiting for there feedback.

Best Answer
There must be a flaw somewhere in the device. Mine still won’t charge after 3 days in dry rice. Just the logo coming on and straight off again 😞 I would have bought a charge 4 if I knew this would happen.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I’m right there with you. That is exactly what mine is doing.

Best Answer

Mine was plain dead. 

The company is kind enough to offer a 35% discount on a new purchase. If I decide to get a new one, I would not swim with it again. Lesson learned.

Best Answer

This is exactly what happened to me after using it while swimming for the first time. It won't even recharge now, and is too low (21 pc) to even do the tracker update.

Best Answer
Contact support… They are very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Thank you Monik66.  I have contacted the customer support. Mine is out of warranty. Received an email from Fitbit support for a 35% discount of a new purchase online. Very generous of the company.  However, I am debating whether to get another Fitbit that claim to be water resistant or looking for a better alternative.

Sorry to hear that. 

I trusted the Fitbit brand. Despite warning from my dear wife not to swim with it, I took the plunge. 

Editado por moderador: Merged replies 

Best Answer

This could be related to the firmware update bricking the Charge 5s.  Check out the threads

Riz

Best Answer

I have read all of these horror stories. I have the exact same issue as listed dozens of times above. Has anyone received any resolution?

Best Answer
Perfectly understandable when it says it’s waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer