Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won’t keep a charge Charge 5

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve tried all the recommended fixes (charging fully, disabling tracking features I don’t use, restarting, and I’ve never had the display “always on”, software was all up to date according to my app, and I even tried a factory reset; nothing worked. Now my Charge 5 is dying as soon as it’s disconnected from the charger. If I plug it back in it shows the Fitbit logo and starts charging from 1% again. It doesn’t matter how long it was previously charging or what % the battery was at when disconnected. I called the support number and was told to keep trying for a couple days before calling back, pretty sure that was not helpful advice at all!  

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

My fitbit has started to suddenly lose its charge too.  It used to last a week or so and now just days. Starts out fully charged and the battery drains fast. Mine is a year old.

Best Answer

Mine is maybe 6 months old and it holds no charge! Pretty sure my only solution is a replacement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @Chittyychan.

Thank you for sharing all these details about the inconvenience you've been having with your Charge 5 and for confirming that you already tried a few troubleshooting steps. 

I've been informed that you were able to get in touch with the Customer Support team again for further assistance with this and it seems they've shared some instructions with you. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed. 

It's good to see you around the community for the fist time as well, @Jenniferarndt3. Before considering other options, please let me know if you've tried all the recommended steps listed in this article to improve or extend battery life. You can also restart your device using the charging cable as described here

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you; I reset my fitbit and went through the steps. It is fully charged today so let's see how long it lasts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this a big problem with the 5 ? I have been having same problems with the 5 and not sure if should trade in or not?

Best Answer

Same issue since last week - went through whole list of exercises to no prevail.....from changing clock face to how to extend your battery life. 

Outcome is the same - it doesn't keep it's charge once unplugged - back to 1% immediately.

"You have to stop communicating these troubleshooting options as if it resolves the issue of immediate draining after charge - the Charge 5 is not able to keep its charge and Fitbit users have been very clear in the issue.  Customer service did the same with me - pointing I am at fault here because I do not how to use my Charge 5. Again - trace back what has changed to cause this behavior for so many users"

Recommend to stop communicating these suggestions and start solving the issue. Rather say

"Fitbit has recognized our end-users experiencing serious battery issues with the Charge 5 and is working towards a resolution. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and trust you will stay with us while we are working hard to get your Charge 5 back to normal"

Best Answer

I talked to customer service, my charge 5 is still under warranty and they’re sending me a replacement!  Totally understand your frustration!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the same problem started with me yesterday. How do I reset it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can try resetting it via the charger and holding down the button on the usb port for a sec, three times or on the Fitbit, go to settings and restore it from there. None of those options worked for me, I had to call customer support 

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing that you're having the same problem with your Charge 5. 

@Jenniferarndt3 No problem. Thanks for your reply, let me know if you continue to have the same problem. 

@Jenna295 @Poedel @Zangler In addition to the steps mentioned earlier to improve battery life, please make sure to try the steps listed here below to resolve issues related to the display: 

1. Follow these steps in case you're having trouble to charge your device. 
  2. Sync your device in the Fitbit app by tapping your profile picture > Charge 5 > Sync Now.
  3. If you  can't sync, tap on your profile picture > Charge 5 > Tile to see if a firmware banner appears. 
  4. If it's still unresponsive, please try changing the clock face as well and check if you're able to see anything on the display.

@Chittyychan Thanks for sharing your experience with this! It's good to know that you'll be receiving a replacement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently went swimming, it held a charge for multiple day before that. I now have to charge it every 10 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The instructions for restart Charge 5 is just a picture which I can’t figure out what it means. Can we please have instructions in words as to how to restart with charging device??  I don’t know where this button is supposed to be. Infuriating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello & welcome @Bev31 

Click here for instructions and picture on: How to restart Charge 5 

You will need to use the charging cable that came with your Fitbit. There is a small inset button on one side of the USB end of the charging cable that you will need to press 3 times for the restart process. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums. 

Thank you for confirming that you're experiencing the same inconvenience with the Charge 5. 

@Raveniam It seems that you were also able to get in touch with the Customer Support team and they've provided you with some instructions. In this case, they'll let you know about the options available for you. 

@Bev31 Let me know if you were able to complete the restart with the instructions @RiekoC provided earlier. You can find a picture on how to complete the restart and where to locate the button here below: 

1. Buzz_lineart_restart.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same exact problem. One day it was holding a charge for 6-7 days. Then, the next day it only holds a full charge for less than 12 hours. I have tried all recommended fixes with no success. I hear that something that Fitbit pushed to the watches has caused this!? If so, why can’t Fitbit reverse it or send out a fix like Apple does! Instead, there are a lot of people very upset knowing that Fitbit knows they have an issue, yet do absolutely nothing to resolve it. I was offered a 35% discount to go buy another Fitbit watch that will most likely have the same issues! Very disappointing at this price point!

Best Answer

Same problem w blank screen too. Only 14 months old! Was given discount code 35% off good for a month. Well I tried using it two weeks later and it said it was no good! So I call. Guy says ok I’ll resend that right away. So five days later no new discount code! Service! Fitbits I guess are only made to last 12 months. Nevertheless I just ordered an inspire 3 from amazon so I could get it fast cause I’m starting a walk for health challenge in a few days. What in the world. 

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me a little over a week ago. I came here to see multiple other people experiencing a similar issue. I contacted support. When I finally got a response, was told many factors go into how long a charge lasts, like screen always on. Explained that over night it went from holding a charge for ~week to less than 6 hours. They checked and told me, "Yeah, something seems up. But you're out of warranty, so nothing can be done. Would love for you to 'stay in the family' so you'll get a code for a discount." Still waiting on that discount code.

I know no product will last forever, but this is my third different Fitbit that stopped working right around 15 months. Enough to be past the warranty date then over night something major happened. Main reason I stayed was because when I had had the issue with the first one, I was able to get a replacement still. But last two have just been tough luck. Very frustrating overall.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I was able to perform the reset but that didn’t help. I think I discovered the problem. On the back of the watch there are four round golf contacts. One must have fallen off, as I now only have three. That’s probably why it wouldn’t take a charge. I ordered a new Fitbit. 

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
It really is horrible!! I guess we’re paying $100 or more a year to get weekly reports and so on. Badges and stuff. Unheard of!

Sent from my iPhone
Robert Carlson
Best Answer
0 Votes