Support Food Plans with a weight gain goal

Not everybody wants to lose weight. Some want to gain weight and build muscle.

Moderator edit: added label

157 Comments
Evo
Jogger

I was really disappointed to find out that weight gain is not supported. Feels like everything is about loss or maintenance in the application 😐

a_sinno
First Steps

I agree. Need to support gaining weight too !

Burgandy
Recovery Runner

I agree that this is important. 

I'd also like the option of "Weight Irrelevant"  where goals are measured by fat percentage or measurements without any regard to scale.

ghchinoy
Jogger

+1

A tile on the dashboard to indicate how many calories need to be consumed to maintain or exceed my daily weight would be great. A graph (line/bar) that shows how many calories that have been consumed (minus the ones I've burned) relative to a weight-gain goal would also be helpful.

laxNsurf
First Steps

I agree a weight gain goal would be very helpful. Most athletes I talk to are either trying to maintain or gain weight/muscle. I was pretty bummed out when I learned weight gain was not supported.

Cassian
Runner

I actually started tracking my food because I have a chronic illness and struggle to eat enough calories in the day. Sure, a lot of people are trying to get healthier by losing weight, but there's a lot of people out there that are trying to gain weight, and not all of them are trying to get muscle. Overeating isn't the only food problem out there.

hawkeyext
Jogger

Right now if you set your goal to gain weight, it says this:

"Your Food Plan is set to maintain your weight.

• We currently do not support Food Plan's with a weight gain goal."

Does Fitbit ever plan on supporting this? Basically all it needs to do is allow me to change my calorie intake goal from 1800 to 2200. Currently when I go over, as I should since I'm underweight, it goes red as if I'm doing something bad.

Meg1234
Jogger

I have a friend looking to gain weight and suggested using fitbit. We noticed that there is no option to increase weight through the food plan. There should be the ability to modify the food to gain weight not just look it.

Thanks

Status changed to: Duplicate
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for posting this suggestion! I'd recommend joining this established post with a similar idea, and offering your votes and comments to express interest.

I'll go ahead and close this one as a duplicate.

MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you for posting this suggestion! I'd recommend joining this established post with a similar idea, and offering your votes and comments to express interest.

andyluvv
Stepping Up

You guys have helped me lose all the weight I needed,but I was really surprised to find out that there is no "surplus" option for weight gain!

I'm on a bulk now and I can't figure out how to make my fitbit work with my MFP account. It's just rendering the device rather useless, since I'd like to keep track of how much I'm losing calories in order to eat more and avoid falling back on maintenance.

A lot of us need help gaining weight, so add the option! Shouldn't be too hard to integrate it with MFP's gaining option, right? 😄

onionne
First Steps

This would be particularly helpful for pregnant women, like me.  I'm having twins and need to put on 40 pounds.  In addition, BMI isn't particularly relevant to me while I'm pregnant, so it just shows up as me being fat, which, hey, I'm not.  

pixeldimensions
First Steps

Hi

The fitbit Aria is perfect to control your weight and losing weight is rewarded with badges. But I am trying to gain weight and I think it would be nice that fitbit could support that too.

You should have the possibility to choose 'loose weight' of 'gain weight' in the interface.

Thanks!

Weaverdh
Stepping Up

Totally agree, weight gain is just as valid a use of the dashboard and I am very surprised that it is not an option!  Almost took the device back immediately when I discovered this.  

CaroMC
First Steps

I made an account just to suggest the weight gain option and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who needs this! I'm a skinny girl who lifts weights and takes muay thai, I want to build muscle, not get even skinnier. 

AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thank you for posting this suggestion! I'd recommend joining this established post with a similar idea, and offering your votes and comments to express interest.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Great suggestion! We'll be sure to pass this along to our team. 

hassi2k7
Base Runner

Hi! When I weigh 140lbs and I add as goal that I want to weigh 160lbs, the app shows me "hold weight" whats totally wrong. - "gain weight" would be the better solution. Furthermore it would be nice, when the calories are calculated for the weight gain goal too (so a calorie surplus is calculated and not a zero value)

best, daniel.

hassi2k7
Base Runner

Great idea!

I currently weigh 140lbs and set the goal to 160lbs. But my goal stauts is "hold weight" - looks like a bug to me - hope that it would be fixed soon. (Windows Phone 8.1) 

Maranda
Recovery Runner

Please consider adding a weight gain goal option to the food planner. People using FitBits have all kinds of different health and wellness goals, and that includes weight gain. Right now I need to set my calories to maintenance and then go over every day, which doesn't give me the feeling that i am succeeding. I also have to do my own calculations about when I will hit my goal weight. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Any news on this?

hassi2k7
Base Runner

totaly agree Smiley Happy it seems like a bug when i add a goal of +20lbs an the app told me that i have to eat the same kalories as for holding my weight.

the kalories should be right calculated for a weight gain goal too

Mogsy
Recovery Runner
Although many people use the Fitbit fir weight loss I need to gain weight. Therefore the daily calorie intake based on my current weight is ridiculously low - telling me I've eaten way too much! Hopeless to get a realistic calorie estimate
EricainHI
Recovery Runner

Have you set a goal? I believe it will more properly estimate calories if your goal says you are trying to gain.

Weaverdh
Stepping Up

When are you going to allow for weight gain in your diet plans? Lots of people want to gain healthy, clean weight as part of their training but you do not support this. It's a big omission that means I have to use other software for diet tracking and not the Fitbit software that should do the job in conjunction with my Fitbit device. Very disappointing.

At the moment your diet planner is a weight loss only planner.  Weight loss is not always going to equate to any kind of fitness and being able to plan for your gains as well as losses is vital.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.