Allow Music transfer from phone

In the near future, please incorporate the ability to transfer music directly from your phone library. Preferably, this feature would even be available offline.

One grievance I have here is that it can only be done, online, with a computer installed with the FitBit software.

It seems minor, but, there are plenty of reasons this feature is troublesome; for example:
-can’t be installed on a computer (administrative rights on a work computer?)
-or not being able to connect to the internet (when traveling)
-or the connection is terribly slow.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

305 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please! Linux user here with no option for getting music on to Ionic. Incredibly frustrating.

OggyC
Recovery Runner

Hi, you can ask your workplace/school admin if he/she can install it for you.
Also if this is done offline then bluetooth would have to be used (Or a ionic hotspot *Without Internet connection* would have to be made to preform the transfer)

TwistSplice
Recovery Runner

Thanks for the input, however, the main problem is the restriction to a computer still. As above, Linux users still have difficulty. 

It's not a matter of getting the process going on a work platform, rather, the serious limitations that exist using only a computer interface to complete this. Bluetooth transfer, while slower, would at least be a viable method of doing this.

OggyC
Recovery Runner

Hi, yeah the fitbit application does not support the Linux OS

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Even if Linux was supported, why force people to run home to update their media? With the prevalence of "unlimited" data plans we should be able to tether our Ionic to our phone to download new songs/albums/podcasts while we are out and about. Or even simply transfer media from our phones directly.

Heck at this point I'd be happy with a USB-C port on the side.

Rafster83
Jogger

I would love to transfer music from my phone to my Ionic and not do it from my computer.

Jorkal
Tempo Runner

Yes 👍🏻👍🏻

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please! I no longer own a computer/laptop and this is the only thing I'd like to do that requires one!

OllyBuxton
Recovery Runner

at  a bare minimum get rid of the need for a desktop PB.

Also provide software that works - I HAVE a macbook, i have wifi and I have bluetooth and I still can't get it to work. Really poor software in this day and age.

Jorkal
Tempo Runner

I have Mac and everything works flawless, so there are other things that involves good working!

mrboingo
Recovery Runner

Please work on transferring music from a smartphone to the ionic and add other music services (Spotify).  The whole concept of this watch is to do more while on the go. If the marketing is "go workout without your phone", why would I need a computer to make that happen?  I can leave my phone home when I run but I better drag my laptop with me just in case I want to change my playlist on that run?  I appreciate the effort that was put into this device and this is my third fitibit device in about as many years, however I am disappointed at the implementation of this device. It seems that it was rushed to try and compete with the other big 2 companies releasing their products. You can't keep depending on the loyalty of your customers and not give them polished products.I own other devices and the innovations are there but the community is not. The community is what keeps me buying fitbit, but at some point innovation will be what either keeps me or drives me away. 

TwistSplice
Recovery Runner

Fitbit admin... any smoke signals on this?

Yofarbs
Jogger

I fully support this.  The whole idea is to not use our computers, but just phones and Fitbits.  

pb131293
First Steps

Cannot believe that in 2017 a brand new product like this would be released that requires a PC for full connectivity.  Honestly, you already have an App on peoples mobile devices.  Allow music transfer directly from the mobile device.  

That you released this product and your internal QC didn't catch this is mind blowing.  *please* update your app for direct music transfer from mobile devices to the Ionic.  

cgray2017
Jogger

I don't have access to Itunes and listen to my podcasts through podkicker. I won't be buying the wireless headphones until an app is added where I can download podcasts etc directly to the watch as I will still need to run with my phone.

Jarvo3
Jogger

Exactly the suggestion I made. Or could they not install amazon music app alongside the Alexa app. Let’s hope enough people complain to encourage them to move forward with this.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree with this feature whole heartily. Additional 3rd party music integration of apps (Spotify,AZ Music,Slacker,Google Play, Apple Music) etc.. would be very welcome.  I have a feeling that not all third parties would necessarily want this integration but the customer would benefit as well as the third party because only the paid service would be permitted to integrate identical to Pandora. 

boyddl
Jogger

I am won’t notme73. No Windows or Mac in the house so I am SOL on music

gwattula
First Steps

Yes to all of these comments. Can't believe this item cost $300 and I need to have a desktop to add music. Also really bad form to only be able to use the $ version of pandora or windows music. Get with the times and add Google Music or spotify. This is just ridiculous.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@OllyBuxton what version Macbook do you have, does it have BT 4.0?

TwistSplice
Recovery Runner

@Rich_Laue

I don't believe this matters, it's wifi based. 

Mr-Eko
First Steps

Yes I agree, I no longer have access to a computer or laptop Fitbit need to update so can load music playlists straight from yr mobile device, it’s safe to say the majority of Fitbit users mainly use a phone in conjunction with their Fitbit devices n seems silly tht can only upload music from a computer 

EmmA1470
First Steps

Yes please.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@TwistSplice since we don't know what problem @OllyBuxton has it just might matter.

Sybwazz
Jogger

Just got my ionic and can't believe how difficult it is to transfer music..I'm an Amazon music user..haven't used windows media in decades..not to mention the stupid passcode that I can't rid myself of..and yes I've read up on how!! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.