Compatibility with NordicTrack app

I noticed that recently Fitbit now syncs with Peloton.  That's AMAZING!!!  However, I have a Nordic Track and it uses the iFit App.  Would love for FitBit to have compatibility with this app as well in order to sync workouts and other data.  (iFit schedules workouts and it would be great if these workouts were delivered to the Fitbit as a reminder. You could schedule, re-schedule or skip a particular workout just by the touch of your phone.  It could be another window on the dashboard that alerts you to a pending workout or allows you to adjust your workout activity. I hate wearing 2 activity trackers - I'd rather just wear only my Fitbit.).

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

59 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Apples420, thank you for sharing your idea. I'm glad to hear that you like the recent changes on Fitbit. I hope a lot of people like your idea, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.  Let's wait and see!

MidniteSun
First Steps

THANK YOU for this suggestion.  It seems that with each year NordicTrack becomes more popular as the go to in-home brand for exercise equipment.  In fact, 6 NT treadmills are in the Top 100 of Amazon sales for treadmills and two of those are in the top 10, as of this writing.  Given the price point of these machines, it is no small feat.

The fact that FitBit has not created a partnership with iFit and/or NordicTrack has prevented us from purchasing the equipment since 2015.  No more.  LISTEN FITBIT!!!  My wife and I just purchased the NordicTrack s9i elliptical.  If you don't get integration in the near future, 6-8 months, we will be dropping our Blazes, and selling them for a competitor that does integrate.  You all have sat on this too long.  It is time to innovate and integrate with home gym equipment.

Apples420
Jogger

This was a fantastic e-mail! I couldn't have said it any better.  In fact, when I was researching treadmills, I saw that NordicTrack was at the top of the class.  That was how I chose the treadmill I have now.  That coupled with the streamed video workouts along with workouts you can do all over the world with Google Maps got me.  If they can do it for Peloton, I don't see why it can't be done for NordicTrack, a leading brand in fitness?  I thought it would have been a simple ask...

Thank YOU for voting!! 

MidniteSun
First Steps

You are most welcome.  Unfortunately just the two of us wont get on the programmers' radar.  I find it hard to believe that there aren't 100's to 1000's of users wanting this feature.  I can't wait to get the elliptical tomorrow and start using it.

Peaware
First Steps

You are absolutely correct! It takes many comments and suggestions to make a programmer take notice! Hope more individuals would like to see a Fitbit and Nordictrac marriage 

Apples420
Jogger

I totally agree!  I would think a lot of other people would like to see this integration as well, but just wondering if they even know to come to this forum to vote.  I didn't even know about it until my FitBit broke and I contacted FitBit to complain that just after a year my Fitbit went dead.  Then I asked Customer Service if they could escalate a suggestion and they gave me this link instead.  When I saw this was based on voting, I figured a lot of people would want the same thing too.  But when there were no votes, I was just about ready to give up... 

K-Tejas
Stepping Up

Me Too!

I am about to buy a NordicTrack Freestrider FS9i, and I have been trying to figure out all the costs of having an iFit account. It would be a good selling point for Fitbit to have an App that connects a Fitbit to the rest of the exercise equipment world. Connecting everything Fitbit, or any other fitness monitoring device, to any connected Exercise equipment is one of the best ways Fitbit can stay in this Market, and stay in business. Not working to keep Fitbit competitive is the fastest way to find Fitbit on the long list of businesses that have gone out of business.

The Internet Connected part of the Economy is the fastest growing, and the fastest changing section, and if Fitbit can't keep up, they will fall by the wayside. Just like people that want to exercise, but find it hard to stay self motivated. Having exercise data to look at while you exercise is a good way to stay motivated, and one of the best things about Fitbit, but there are other tracking/watch type of devises we could buy, if our Fitbit doesn't do what we want it to do.

I like my Fitbit Ionic, and it does things that I find very useful in my exercise routine, but often it would be better to use some kind of exercise equipment, instead of going outside for a walk, or run. Being able to have my Ionic connect to my iFit equipment so I can have my Fitbit data be used by/in/with iFit would seem to be worth the time, and money for Fitbit to make this happen, if for no other reason than to add it to the advertising for Fitbit.

I can hear it now in ads for Fitbit: "...Fitbit, now with support for most any type of exercise, and with connectivity to the top selling connected exercise equipment...", with a list of types of exercise, and devises scrolling in the background.

I bet that would cost a lot less than the revenue coming in from new customers. Think of the Market Share for Fitbit. What does Fitbit want? Less, or more Market Share? How bad does Fitbit want to still be here, and growing in 10 years? 5 years? 2 years? 6 months? Take this exercise challenge, and to quot another advertiser, "Just Do It!"

Like the lack of support for an app for Kayaking, this lack of support for an app to crossover to the iFit system, is making me think about spending my hard earned money on a new device, and giving my Ionic to some less connected person, if I could find one.

A satisfied/unsatisfied Customer in Texas

MidniteSun
First Steps

Good News/Bad News

I've only had the iFit membership for 2 days.  It came with the NordicTrack Elliptical S9i.  Here is the Great aspect:  Using the heart rate monitor chest strap and the on-board programs you get a really accurate picture of what your workout is like.

The down sides:

1.  FitBit steps do not match miles traveled on elliptical.  They come out far short.

2.  iFit food logging and phone app (Samsung Galaxy S8) leave a lot to be desired!

Up Sides:

1.  FitBit Heart rate monitor on Blaze is closely matched within 3-8 heartbeats of iFit chest strap.  These heart rate monitors are both good depictions of what your body is experiencing during exercise.

2.  FitBit Food Log and phone app is SUPERIOR!

The best option in my opinion is to use the combined heart rate monitors, chest strap during workout, Fitbit during workout and everyday activity.  I m also a subscriber of FitStar by FitBit.  iFit workouts and tracking through the included tablet on the elliptical are superior and have a greater variety than FitBit.

The iFit HR Axis I received is cheap and flimsy compared to my Blaze.  The Blaze is superior and I will keep it.  

The best thing that could happen is for FitBit/iFit/NordicTrack to have a marriage and work together combing the best qualities of all three!  A FitBit watch + iFit workout programs + FitBit app + NordicTrack = PERFECTION!

Apples420
Jogger

Midnite Sun,

Yes, that's correct!  When I run/walk/jog on the treadmill, my fitbit steps do not match the iFit - and it sucks!  On iFit, when you do a particular workout, the treadmill will elevate and/or speed up & down according to the terrain you are on.  The iFit compensates for this while the FitBit doesn't. I did find the heart rate also to be somewhat in sync, give or take.  Hence, the need for integration. Unfortunately, I abandoned the IFit app and just go along with Fitbit, even though it means less steps.  But that's ok (for now) because I love my Fitbit.  And, I totally agree:  the wearable is a piece of junk. Plus it is just too clunky to wear.  I tried to give it a 2nd chance (twice) and I just couldn't deal with it.  I just stopped wearing it.

So yes, if Fitbit could incorporate your workouts in iFit, schedule the workouts per calendar with the option to change if you like, alerts you to new workouts, keeps tracks of them (Pretty much everything IFit does), adjust the steps to match the intensity of the workout, etc.  I think alot of us would be happy campers!

By the way, the iFit membership is only temporary with the equipment for a certain amount of time.  Then you have to buy it. I think that's just ridiculous to pay for membership after you pay an exorbitant amount for a piece of equipment.  Maybe this is what is keeping Fitbit from integrating?? Or maybe Fibit can develop something similar to the IFit that will work with NordicTrack and doesn't require a monthly/yearly subscription??

Apples420
Jogger

K-Tejas,

This world is becoming more and more digitally inclined and the more FitBit is associated with all different branding out there, the more of a leader they will be in the fitness world and perhaps beyond.  They must realize this at some point in the game.  I have to say, I was not motivated to move until I got a FitBit.  It's been the greatest motivator to get me to start working out and get moving.  Now, when I miss a day there is such extreme guilt.  Leaving home without my Fibit is like leaving home without my watch - I am totally lost!  But, get this! - Fitbit has a device(s) with a clock interface!  So now, I no longer need a watch - I have my FitBit that not only tells time, but tells me the day & date along with other stats! Love, love, love it!!!

That's why I think this voting on an idea is just plain nonsense and a waste of time.  If there is an idea that would be deemed useful for the rest of the world, why not work on implementing it rather than base it on a voting system to verify its popularity?  I mean, if I worked at FitBit and some one purposed the idea to integrate with Nordic Track, I would jump on the idea all because I would think, "hmmm...Nordic Track... one of the biggest names  and leaders in fitness... we could do great things together..".  (Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying this because it was my idea.  I'm just EXTREMELY surprised no one before me submitted this idea..)

FrinkenVlad
First Steps

Just got my new elliptical and would love for my Fitbit to sync with it and the iFit app.  

Also I see where some received a iFit wearable with purchase of gear and the year subscription.  I did that too but not sure how to get wearable.  

Apples420
Jogger

FrinkenVlad,

I also had an issue with getting the wearable.  I had to contact Customer Service at least twice before they actually sent it.  When I did finally get the wearable, it didn't even work.  They had to send me another.  When I did finally get a good wearable, I was actually upset with myself for going through all that trouble because the tracker really isn't even worth it...I wore the tracker for at least 2 weeks and right now, the iFit wearable in sitting in a drawer.  I am basically using my FitBit to track.  (I do have to say that the iFit wearable, unlike the FitBit, does take into account how difficult the workout is and accounts for this in its step count.  That's the only reason I like the wearable).

JRbrt
First Steps

@Apples420 wrote:

I noticed that recently Fitbit now syncs with Peloton.  That's AMAZING!!!  However, I have a Nordic Track and it uses the iFit App.  Would love for FitBit to have compatibility with this app as well in order to sync workouts and other data.  (iFit schedules workouts and it would be great if these workouts were delivered to the Fitbit as a reminder. You could schedule, re-schedule or skip a particular workout just by the touch of your phone.  It could be another window on the dashboard that alerts you to a pending workout or allows you to adjust your workout activity. I hate wearing 2 activity trackers - I'd rather just wear only my Fitbit.).

Moderator edit: label.

Getting FitBit to intergrate with IFIT would be a huge advantage and would make my life a whole lot easier.

Finest
First Steps

I am thinking about having me an IFit device instead of my fitbit HR. I want an compatibel device with my IFit Pro Form Power 995i and I mis the Dutch version to see my food habbits on Fitbit! 

Cfraddell
First Steps

Another vote to connect Fitbit and IFit.com

DonBM
First Steps

absolutely need a better integration with Nordic Track. I've been a Fitbit fanatic for 2 years but I am seriously thinking of dropping it in favor of something that gives me a better step count on the treadmill and that will sync my heart rate to the machine without using a chest strap

Apples420
Jogger

Don BM,

I found that when I wear my Fitbit on the treadmill, that yes, the step count isn't accurate.  But, what I did was purchase a clip so that I can take off my Alta HR, insert it in the holder and clip that to my shorts/jogger.  It's pretty accurate that way.  I did notice though that the iFit calculates  and gives you more steps for the more difficult workouts, which Fitbit doesn't do.  I think more difficult workouts should get more of a step count than just merely walking as you are burning more calories.

Tharpmo65
First Steps

Please integrate iFit with FitBit.  Both have great qualities and lack where the other is successful.  The marriage of these two apps would be great!

section08
Jogger

I cannot believe that Pokemon Go integration has 2,000+ votes while NordicTrack/iFit integration only has 24. Now 25 Robot tongue

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Dear community members, thanks for sharing this suggestion. Our web API and smartwatch SDK are open which means that the service you are wanting can actually integrate with Fitbit! We’d encourage you to make your suggestion to the service and direct them to our existing API and SDK and resources such as the web dev API community. You will likely be able to email them via their contact us page or customer support, or they may have their own ideas board like this. Or encourage them to reach out to Fitbit directly! Thanks for your participation in the Feature Suggestion forums, we look forward to making Fitbit more useful for you.

Rhauer
Jogger

Another vote for integration. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

New owner of the Nordictrack Commercial 14.9 elliptical and I would love to see this integration as well

efellefred
First Steps

YojanaFitbit are you saying we need to find and go to norditrack and make this request?
Arrimb
First Steps

I just bought an elliptical - wish at least I could use my Fitbit as the HRmonitor....but full integration would be best.

lmoldowan
First Steps

I got ifit set up on my Nordictrak eliptical.  What a disappointment to find out it didn't work with my fitbit.  This would make me think about purchasing other manufactures in the future.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.