Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
erikvisser
First Steps

Living in the Netherlands and in a city biking is my transport of choice. Sadly flex doesn't register biking. I have to put that activity in manually. This is very time consuming.

Isn't it possible to tab the flex a few times and then it's in biking mode? We can do it for sleep so why not for biking?

PorterAnderson
First Steps

Agree, Matthew,

Same for me with the elliptical machine at the gym -- I do an hour a day on a very fast PreCor Elliptical and then have to log in the setps manually. It's very time consuming and irritating.

W-p
Jogger

I agree. I was going to suggest the same. My idea is:

Everyone has their own pet sport. Rather than a cycling mode have a custom mode as well as sleep. On the dashboard you set up the sport for this. When it synchs it takes start and end time and dashboard info to work out calories etc.

erikvisser
First Steps

Hello W-p, you are right it should be a custom mode. And the stats should be included in the dashboard.

voxorg
First Steps

the true problem with logging these types of exercise activities is "how is the unit going to know this is going on?"

Cycling doesn't have a great deal of wrist movement (Force user here), so there isn't a good way for the unit or the dashboard to gauge intensity.

erikvisser
First Steps
Why can?t I tell the device what?s going on like I do with sleep? And If this is absolutely not an option make it easy to add this data. Now it?s quite complicated, time consuming and only possible trough the browser. Or better yet let me import specific info from apps like moves.

The market is moving fast. All the big brands showed their version this January and there is still great stuff still to come. Fitbit will have work hard to stay in front of the game. The flex and the fitbit as a QS service is slitly disappointing.
Kevalicious99
Tempo Runner

I support individual activity tracking .. and you can do it on your Fitbit (Force and One at least do this). but honestly .. we cannot expect there to be a bicycling mode. Like you know the gymnastics, football, swimming, sex and every other activity possible people would want their activity tracked too. Sorry ... sounds like people are getting pretty lazy.

4PetesSake
First Steps

I assume bit bit relies a a number of tables using height, weight, and accelerometer readings.  I think it would be nice if in the future fit bit had a second mode.  Maybe you tap it 3 times to set the mode.  In this "cycling" mode you would put the fitbit on your ankle (tucked under your sock?) and it would use a different set of tables based on cycling data to give a measure of exercise. Unfortunately I can't think how it would differentiate between flat ground and up hill etc. but I don't think it can do this for walking either so no big deal.

ADM
Base Runner

Yes, it would be very helpful to add a biking option to the Force & other Fitbits.  Without the addition, I've got to rely on the odometer attached to my bike and then log in the data thru my iPhone app (means time not riding) or wait until I get back home to my laptop.  Yet the Force is right there during the entire bike ride!  If the Force can measure floors climbed, steps taken, plus distance, why not measure something as 'straightforward' as biking?  It would be great to have a bike riding feature included without the additional 'steps' (puns intended).

TBRich
Jogger

I got this idea from an android app I have that allows you to record the time you spend driving, then when finished, uploads it directly to your account so that it automatically corrects any unusual activity recorded. 

So I've recently been having some knee troubles when jogging/walking and am considering other ways to exercise that are easier on my knees, such as swimming or biking. Now I am aware that on the dashboard there is a way to manually log activities like swimming and biking, but it would be great if there was an app to download to my Android phone and activate immediately before starting a bike ride, for example, that would then upload and sync the data of the bike ride directly to the dashboard without having to go in and do it manually (much like the app I have for logging time spent driving).

I'd like to know if there are any plans to develop something like this. I feel it would greatly add to the effectiveness of your product.

gzs3
Jogger

like this idea. would also like to see an interface to lfconnect to capture the stationary bike activity data

Terriest
Premium User
First Steps

Flex user wishes that the selection of elliptical under activities could incorporate an optional recording box for #steps and distance. (I believe most elliptical models show distance, time, and steps and calories burned.) . Presently, elliptical only has calories as an optional box. For myself, I am presently most interesting in the number of steps I take each day. I bought the Flex mostly to help me attain step goals. I am a retired senior, and sometimes it is simply not feasible for me to engage in walking outside the house and I would like to see the elliptical steps that I take incorporated into my daily steps database dashboard.

Moderator Edit: Format

KingCong
First Steps
If it cannot log biking at least sync with Strava. Strava is by far the best biking and running app. It does a great job and if it could stance then over ride the steps the fitbit records when I ride that would work for me. My Force never over rode the steps when I did a manual entry. The basis b1 is a wrist wearable tracker that recognizes biking automatically.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend
Some people put the flex in their pocket when biking, mileage wise it would depend on what gear, what would be neat I'd a biking mode and a Bluetooth senser on the wheel. That option could be implemented in software, but would use the battery up fast.
Hclemo
First Steps

The iOS app update that now includes gps tracking for running should also include a choice for cycling.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

pattylee
First Steps

You read my mind.  I had emailed this suggestion to fitbit and they directed me here.  I bicycle a lot so this would be a great addition.  Thanks for posting

GrannyGaGa
Jogger

Yes, it would be great to add cycling.

Auralie2014
First Steps
Totally agree!
gayleannette
Recovery Runner

I love the new Exercise logger on the Mobile App, but there is no way to add any other activity basides the run walk hike there. It would be nice to be able to add other activities and time like you can on the computer app.  I am not always by the computer when I am doing something I should be able to at least track the time and what it is, even if it required follow up later on the computer for accurate calorie tracking. Thanks.

_M_a_n_d_y_
Premium User
Recovery Runner
Defiantly needs.
Sargd66
First Steps
Absolutely!! It dumb founds me that this wasn't already added. Why should we have to manually input it when it could be automatic under this new gps feature.
ddrake888
First Steps

I fully agree,  it is an activity that many use and even if it was not a direct connect to the app but something that would take distance and activity from another app, that would be cool

GlsonnHouston
First Steps
I have been using Strava to log my bike ride in the morning, but if FitBit had a 'cycling' section in the GPS instead of just 'running' I could leave my Strava and do it all w/FitBit.
GlsonnHouston
First Steps

Oops...I duped this thouught above. I use Strava to log bike  miles/speed, but would rather use one device.

RyanFarley
First Steps

I came here to post this exact same suggestion. Please add cycling!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.