Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
Gahi
Jogger
Would be nice to track on the flex like we can for a walk,jog etc.
kempie
First Steps

Please add a cycling tracker option to the log.

Logging the ride afterwards does not meet the needs of riders, just as logging a walk or run afterwards does not meet the needs of runners and walkers.

I want to know my mile splits and be able to track my ride in the same way that I could track a run.

It should be easy enogh to add a formula for distance and speed to calculate calories burned.

FitBit is missing a huge market.  Please add this feature.

p-w
First Steps

How about adding a fitbit charge indicator to the dashboard to see how many days we have left before the fitbit needs charging? 

Cristi
Recovery Runner

With Fitbit One is fixed to the shue or socks I am sure that it can detect pedal cadence and many other thinks.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have also been searching for this solution....please add bike to the GPS tracking!

Roxann
Jogger

I would also like you to add bike riding! Will you be doing that any time soon?

Tahw14
First Steps

Bike tracking would be awesome!

ChrisCA
Sprinter

@kempie wrote:

Please add a cycling tracker option to the log.

Logging the ride afterwards does not meet the needs of riders, just as logging a walk or run afterwards does not meet the needs of runners and walkers.

I want to know my mile splits and be able to track my ride in the same way that I could track a run.

It should be easy enogh to add a formula for distance and speed to calculate calories burned.

For cycling, it is far, far more effective to use a different app, geared (no pun intended Smiley Very Happy) specificaly for riding that will have a LOT more useful data, such as a map, splits, heartrates, elevation gain.loss, etc.

Digifit, MapMyRide, Endomondo, Everymove sync with FitBit.

Use a heart rate monitor with these to much more accurately figure calories burned (rather than simply guesstimating based on speed & time).

Roxann
Jogger
How is this solved?
kecrow
First Steps

I would love to be able to GPS track a bike ride with the iPhone Fitbit app. Right now when I go in to choose they type of activity that I am tracking the only available options are run, walk, and hike. I tracked a bike ride the other day so I knew how far I had gone, but it entered the data as a run and told me I had run 11 miles and added the equal number of steps I would have taken. 

I can log a bike ride but have to use my Garmin watch to track the distance.

Thanks!

savage09
First Steps

I agree!  There should be a bicycling section on the GPS exercise tracker.  I really like so many of the functions of my FitBit Flex, but was seriously disappointed to learn I couldn't track my cycling as an exercise considering a GPS tracker is added for distances like Walking, Running, and Cycling.  I too use Strava, however for my Flex to be a more well rounded and complete Fitness tool... this feature should be added.  FYI - On the FitBit website there is an option to ADD the information from your bike ride that you tracked on "another app" (you can even add swimming information).    FitBit - PLEASE PLEASE ADD BICYCLING!!!!   

jrfit
Jogger

Ditto.  I cannot believe there isn't an option to track cycling.  As it is, I just track my cycling as "hiking". I also put my flex in my sock then put a strap over the top of my sock so it doesn't fall out.  This works, but there should be an option to track cycling.

STate12
First Steps

PLEASE do this. I cycle twice a day, yet run never

ktown919
First Steps

This seems like it would be such a simple feature to add. It should just track the calories burned, miles cycled and time and not count the steps. I hope they can add this feature soon. 

DJ1704
First Steps

After using the GPS to track my bike ride under the RUN option, it gave me kudos by saying "You were born to run" which is untrue.  However, if I could track biking, it might say, "You were born to bike".  I would like to see bicycling given as an option under GPS tracking on the fitbit One!

heylookatlane
First Steps

This would be great. I cycle every day, but I don't run. I would be happy if they'd just integrate with Strava, which I'm already using. They wouldn't have to build a separate cycling tracker from scratch.

Status changed to: New
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

This is a great idea! Thank you for posting!

kecrow
First Steps

Seems like a popular idea to me! 🙂

AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this suggestion! Because Fitbits are optimized for step-based activities, they may not accurately track cycling. If we have any new information in the future, we'll be sure to post here. 

AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for your suggestion about tracking cycling! We appreciate the feedback. If we have any new information, we'll be sure to post here. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add cycling to the app! 

Especially once you have heart rate data... at that point you should be able to derive calories from HR... then plot my bikr route on the map! Do this and I can delete Map My Ride!

GregTheGr8
First Steps
I want a Surge when it's released. Unless it's dead weight like my Flex. I swim, bike, and run and the item/app is currently unable to track 2 of them that apple claims otherwise. Will be tough to keep my fitbit loyalty.
kevin63
Jogger

Fit bit is great at tracking exercise ffrom walking, hiking, and running. When I go cycling, I have to track that exercise using other apps. the Fit Bit app should include a way to enter other types of exercise through the Track Exercise option on the app. this would be a grreat improvement and make the experience more universal.

Moderator added labels

mrKaqz
Jogger

Yes, totaly agreed with this, Simply way just add Cycling in MobileRun GPS tracking then we good to go.

Cycling pleaseeee.

DrJuice
First Steps

Cyclists: I have the same problem whan using Stair Masters and playing squask racquets.  Solution is to wear the FitBit on your ankle during these activities.  You can link the large and small bracelets together to get one large enough.  But I have an even better idea.

I have written to FitBit encouraging them to integrate two fitbits so that both types of exercise can be sensed.  Idea is that they compares the upper and lower body activities and record the one with the greatest activity!  I for one would be willing to purchase a seconf FitBit if this feature were available.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.