Track Macros in App (daily carbs/protein/fat intake)

The browser log shows a breakdown of your macros for the day, and this is extremely useful, but it is absent in the app. For many people, including myself, it's not only important to track your calorie intake for the day, but also your macronutrient intake (carbohydrates, protein, and fat). When I'm considering my next meal or planning my food for the day, I want to know how much of each macronutrient I have eaten so far, so I don't go overboard. As a busy individual, most of my food logging is done through the app. However, I can not track my macronutrients through the app, which makes it hard for me to regulate my intake.

Here is an example of the "daily totals" macro tracker on the Fitbit browser log:

macros.png

Extremely helpful. Not only does it show how many grams of each macro I've consumed for the day, but it also shows the percentage of my daily consumption for each macro. The aforementioned is a fabulous feature because I split my daily macro targets into percentages (ie; 30% carbs, 35% fat, 35% protein). This allows to see me where I'm at so far, or even log everything I INTEND to eat and see where that would leave me. Then, I can make adjustments. Really a great feature.

But, again, it's not available on the app. And I think it's really important that this be added, for several reasons:

• A lot of people log most of their food through the day via app because of time restrictions/lack of access to a computer.
  • Real time macronutrient tracking helps everyone to meet their goals and adjust planned meals based on where their macronutrients currently stand.
  • Macronutrient tracking is just as important as calorie tracking. We need a balance of macronutrients to be happy and healthy.
  • Easily accessible (app) macronutrient tracking will help people to see patterns in their diet which are causing them to fall short of what they need, therefore helping them improve their diet.
  • Diet and what you eat is just as important as how many calories you consume. Being able to see the macronutrient numbers alongside the calorie numbers will help people become more aware of their diet.

Please give us macronutrient tracking in the app! It's such a wonderful feature of the browser log, and should definitely be prioritized for including it in the app log. Fitbit is an amazing product and can really help people turn their lifestyles around for the better, and adding the macronutrient tracker to the app will only further help those who need direction in the area of diet.

Moderator Edit: updated subject for clarity & Labels

873 Comments
RickMND
Jogger

This is an awesome idea. Body Bugg had it and I miss it since using FitBit.

MrKep
First Steps
Sorry I may have mis-worded that paragraph. Only the "lose it" app has a pie graph dispaly of macros. The fitbit Web app just displays it in percentages. But I recommend using Lose It to log all of your meals. It has a much larger food library, an easy way to view macros and can work in harmony with fitbit. The food data entered in lose it transferes over to the fitbit app. You'll find in the lose it setings an option to work in paralell with fitbit.
drreichwein
First Steps

Agreed.  I would like an easy way to view this information on the mobile app.  Currently it only shows calories in vs calories out by day.  For those of us focused on gaining muscle or adhering to some diet, the macronutriet level, and perhaps other key nutritional metrics like fiber, would be very useful.

kareneh
First Steps

as an insulin dependent diabetic, the carb count is essential, so please consider it. I will figure something out, but it sure would be nice if you added it..I bet at least 50% count carbs..thanks for considering..

MeowSpace
First Steps
I would love to be able to count carbs instead of calories. Net carbs as well as full carbs. I've been asking MyFitnessPal to do this for a while, to no avail. I'm taking a "fitbit" class so I am now using Fitbit, at least for the next couple months. Give me a reason to stay with Fitbit after that!
cris-mc
Stepping Up
It would be great if the food log broke down the nutritional data of the food that's logged so we can keep track of protein vitamin sodium for those of us that need to monitor those things for medical dietary reasons
TabithaButler
Jogger
Could we have a summary of the nutrition facts of our food so far? I like keeping track of this but I cannot with the fit bit app and I have to use a different app. You can see the nutrition per item but a summary list would be wonderful!
katiem1941
First Steps
On the app add that we can see protein, carbs and fiber. It's on the website so please put it on the app as well. Very frustrating as I must use 2 apps. The second being just to see those few things...
chickdinner57
First Steps

Agree. I have used my fitnesspal and that keeps track of these nutrition balances along with a recommended daily goal. It was very helpful to see what I needed to carve out of my next meal for planning for the next day. I hope this attachment is visible, but I took a snapshot of what the screen in myfitness pal looks like.Nutrition.jpg

Leigh2L4
Recovery Runner

Love this idea.  I would love to see a summary like the Daily Totals on the app.  One glaring exception is that there is no way to track the Amount of Sugar consumed on both the log and the app.  I don't understand how fitbit could've missed this - especially since sugar consumption can be the biggest barrier to loosing weight for some folks.

Please don't forget the sugar!

Akmonster
First Steps

I agree! It would be so convenient for all of us if the Fitbit app tracked macros as well. An all in 1 app would be great, and we would appreciate being able to use one app instead of several.

mrsidaho
First Steps

PLEASE add a carb tracker!  I count carbs more than calories and my daughter is type 1 diabetic and also counts carbs for her insulin.  This would be a fabulous addition! 

ednicholson
Base Runner

I too have had great success with a net/effective carb reduced diet.  I initially followed Primal Blueprint which is a Paleo lifestyle interpretation and lost over 30 lbs of fat in first year and I feel great.  When I first got my fitbit, I attempted to use the calorie counter, but soon realized that despite the amazing ease and success of entering and tracking calories with this method, that counting calories didn't work for me in terms of fat loss.  I foung no relationshilp at all between gaining or lossing fat and counting calories.  However, I'm convinced that if fitbit was to track net/effective carbs, it would work for me and probably many others.  Note that tracking total carbs is not the same. 

Please add this feature to track net/effective carbs/day as an optional alternative to counting calories.  Thanks for considering this option.

RuiAAPeres
First Steps

Great idea! I am using righ now MyFitnessPal, so I don't really feel the need of having it there, but it would be nice.

scholl
Base Runner

I came to this part of the FitBit website specifically to ask for this in the app.

I'm glad to see others are asking as well.

I started with my FitBit when I was 200lbs and getting 10k steps was a challenge.

I'm running my first half-marathon in 2 weeks. The FitBit did a lot to get me started on this path.

My nutritionist has me on a minimum amounts of protein and carbs each day, both in grams and % of my diet for the day. I find myself opening the FitBit website on my phone to track these things instead of using the app. It'd be great if we could get that detail in the app as well.

KrissyR
Jogger

The above would be great in the daily totals but it also needs:

Total Fat in g: Saturated Fat in g: and it also needs Sugar in g. I always look at these totals throughout the day. It's great to be able to monitor Cals, Carbs & Protein etc but it's also crucial when planning that you also look at the above three. Too much Saturated Fat & Sugar can = to weight gain. To have a comprehensive daily analysis would be brilliant. Thanks. 🙂

aprilsong
Recovery Runner
I would really like the macros as on the Fitbit browser dashboard, with sugars added, similar to the premium report view, on the iOS app. I rarely use my Laptop anymore, and hate to log into the browser dashboard on the iPad when the app works so well...except for this and premium services.
elma041
First Steps

I'm doing the carb diet and only care about wasteful carbs.  The Dashboard needs to break down between fiber carbs, sugar carbs, and alcohol carbs.  Right now it is really difficult to see how many carbs I can still eat during the day.

Keith8693
Jogger

I really would like to see the daily nutrition that is shown in the log on the IOS panels as a bar chart that can be exploded to show the items/quantity that made that section..

For instance protein explodes to all the names/grams. 

I need to track sodium, fats, and it is better to look at the dashboard during the day and PLAN what to eat next instead of retroactively seeing it later.

Keith8693
Jogger

"Try linking your Fitbit to the "My Fitness Pal" app.  You are able to see totals for a bunch of nutrients (protein, carbs, sugars, fats, vitamins, etc).  It uploads to my Fitbit app so I still can see all of their stats too!" 

My fitness pal just put all their stats behind a premium pay-per-view wall. 

Come on fitbit.  Start showing us nutrition values on the dashboard.

jgenov
Jogger

Agree need to add carbs totals to dashboad  

helicopper
First Steps

I too had hoped that The Dashboard would simplify tracking my carb intake while on the Atkins Diet, but was surprised to find that the program tracks only total carb content on the Atkins products, rather than net carbs. You have my vote to enable tracking net effective carbs. That would make it so much easier to see if and when I'm  approaching my daily carb limit.

Omar-Jet
Recovery Runner

It looks like there is a lot different request for counting Net Carbs.

Erinrb
Jogger
itd be great to be able to see a breakdown of macronutrients in what you've added to your calorie counter. Percentages and grams would be awesome!
Bitfitthom
First Steps
Yesssssss! Macros are so important.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.