Kayak app on Versa series

Is there any plans to create a kayak app on the New Ionic. It would be great to record paddle strokes as well as your heart rate and GPS route. I have had a surge for a while now but not being able to use it for my sport is a bit of a downside that has made me consider other watches. But with the ionic being useable on the water is a game changer for me. Please think about it. Not everyone's gym is indoors. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

99 Comments
ROC_9999
First Steps

I moved to the garmin fenix for its ability to track kayaking. Would love to see this feature in the new ionic. 

MSWhitaker
First Steps

Seriously, is there any plans for a kayaking app? Have a Surve and seriously looking at the Ionic as i love Fitbit ; can you comment on this?

Ringsman
First Steps

I hope someone sees the applicability of the motion sensors + GPS tracking + time elapsed to rowing (sculling) as well as kayaking and can turn it into one of the "Exercise Shortcuts" on the Ionic.

It would not seem too much of a stretch to turn the repetitive hand motion into stroke rates.  

Emz941
First Steps

I do flat ware kayaking for both marathon and sprint. I would love to see a kayaking sport option, much like running that can track HR, pace and GPS location etc. Even if it was a sport I manually started this would be great, currently I have been tracking as run but the app will not allow me to change the category 😞 

Ringsman
First Steps
Now, all we need is to find a bored programmer...
RM
Kilt
Recovery Runner

I think it is safe to assume someone is already working on it.  I mean, take a look on the fitbit developer homepage and you see KayakTrak.  Probably being beta tested or something.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

SvA
First Steps

I am really missing a kayak +GPS tracking feature on my Fitbit Ionic. Fitbit team please add this feature.

Ringsman
First Steps
I have been able to get the GPS tracking by using the hiking, walking or
biking trackers on my Ionic.
I had hoped, however, for some arrangement of sensor inputs which could
capture arm strokes during rowing (or kayaking) as well.
Sadly, I am totally NOT a software engineer.
I fear we are left hoping some eager young soul with a computer-informed
brain will take our needs into account.
JM
amymac54321
First Steps

I got the Ionic specifically because it's waterproof, and would really like an app that tracks stand up paddle boarding and/or kayaking

Crackers58
First Steps

Come on Fitbit programmers well over 12mths since the Ionic’s release and almost 12mths since this idea was suggested. Surely we are not asking too much to get a tracking exercise for Kayaking/Paddleboarding etc. Cheers guys & gals.

decayedchain
First Steps

How was the waterproof feature heavily advertised with this, and there is only a swim option?? Please add Paddling!! 

@Spud01 wrote:

Is there any plans to create a kayak app on the New Ionic. It would be great to record paddle strokes as well as your heart rate and GPS route. I have had a surge for a while now but not being able to use it for my sport is a bit of a downside that has made me consider other watches. But with the ionic being useable on the water is a game changer for me. Please think about it. Not everyone's gym is indoors. 

Spud01
First Steps
I gave in and jumped ship with the Apple Watch 3. Waterproof, make calls and I uploaded the paddle logger app.

Peter
Makule_Strong
First Steps

I am a Regatta Canoe paddler in Hawaii. I have the FitBit Versa. Please create an app that can track strokes per min. Distance of each pull. Distance of training and time. Link to Heart Rate stats. I have a whole crew of paddlers that would buy a FitBit if this app was made available.

Mahalo

Makule_Strong

rceskavich
Recovery Runner

Please create a Kayak app for the FitBit Versa. I just purchase mine and kayak regularly. 

LHofs
First Steps

I just recently got the versa hoping it would have an option to track kayaking, since it is swim proof. I am an avid kayaker, and this seems like a pretty useful feature to add, since so many active people kayak and paddle board. 

Codyman
Jogger

Seems as if many requests submitted for a kayaking app with little results. Is one being worked on and, if, when is anticipated release? I have a Versa so am most interested in getting one for that!

mzeller
First Steps

I (too) am an avid kayaker and would love to see Kayaking / Paddling added as an Exercise Type on the Versa, and all other Waterproof Models. 

Unfortunately I drowned my Fitbit Charge 2 last week, which led me to purchase the Versa, I love the additional versatility, including music,

and the bigger screen.  Fitbit Pay is also cool feature as I often buy coffee after kayaking on the river 😉

Codyman
Jogger
Thanks for confirming others out there kayak. It allows such freedom
! Now if Fitbit would just give us an app!!!

Again thanks.

Sandy Smith
ckborchardt
Jogger

Hi how about making a kayaking sport mode where the screen is locked in manual mode so water won’t affect the “touch” functionality like swim mode but the gps is on. The bike mode works ok but maybe make the gps sampling less sensitive 

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @ckborchardt ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

Cazzee
First Steps

Hi there, myself and my partner have recently bought a fitbit versa each. We are both big water sports enthusiasts and spend a lot of time doing different sports such as, Stand up paddle boarding, Kayaking, canoeing, wakeboarding, sailing, rowing etc. however we find it very difficult to track these sports with the current apps/workouts. Ideally we would love an app that can track out heartrate, calories burned, active mins etc, while we are enjoying these activity's rather than attempting to input them manually.

fegerandrew
First Steps

I planned on buying an ionic however I see after years of people requesting kayaking and watersports it continues to fall in dead ears.  I've loved my charge but need to upgrade and will have to go with Garmin as I see no future changes coming. 

Codyman
Jogger
Unfortunately I believe you are correct in the fact that the request has fallen on deft ears. Too bad! Enjoy the new watch.

Sandy Smith
Spud01
First Steps
I have already left Fitbit. I went apple 3 watch as I have apple devices and it does what I need.
Enjoy the kayaking.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.