Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

@SantiR @Oncyou turn your wrist to scan the barcode, the Fitbit screen switches off black. Make the barcode stay and not disappear

Best Answer

Great app. Can you add a feature to add QR codes too? Thx!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kawong22 wrote:

Great app. Can you add a feature to add QR codes too? Thx!

There is already a QR code app in the gallery. Creating apps with duplicate content is against the App Gallery Guidelines.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And yet the barcodes 2 app was approved, a literal fork of your work... 🤔

Anyway glad to hear a fix is in the works for the screen wake settings, that's the most useful thing I can think of that's currently missing! 

Other than that I think the layout works really well on the Sense, except maybe the buttons would be more visible of you put them top right and top left instead of top right and bottom right.

Something like this: 

Edited_20201024_031844.png

Best Answer

The QR code app you are talking about is slightly different - it generates and stores new codes. It is impossible to upload an already existing code, e.g. from supermarket card. 

It would be really great if you could add QR codes functionality to your app, for sure it wouldn't be a duplicate. 

Best Answer

Did you ever get a reply for this? I'm in the same boat and not sure what to do..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, @Gcoy22 - I have not received a reply. 

Best Answer

@malgoska86 wrote:

The QR code app you are talking about is slightly different - it generates and stores new codes. It is impossible to upload an already existing code, e.g. from supermarket card.  

You can upload an existing QR code. Just read the data stored in the existing QR code and input the data into the QR code app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using Barcodes app for years.  Today I went into the app to add a new barcode, to my shock the 3 I had entered are gone. I checked my Versa3 and they are still there.  Do I need to re-enter them into the app?  Can you help me to figure out why they disappeared on my Fitbit?

thanks and have a great day

Jim 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really great app, works perfectly. Do you think there's any way you could add a setting so that when you use a specific barcode it flips the code? For me at least, trying to angle my wrist so that the barcode hits is pretty awkward and just think it would be a cool feature. Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, it doesn’t work with Versa 3. 

Best Answer

I've had no issues lately on the Versa 3, hence not much development on Barcodes 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It doesn’t show up if I search for it in the store. I manually had to enter the link to this app, it shows me that I cannot install it. I want an app to display qr codes (to pick up parcels from easy boxes/lockers) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree a great app. Except that the display turns off when you rotate your wrist so the supermarket scanner can read your loyalty card. The app should have the bar codes display for some number of seconds regardless of the orientation of your wrist.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! 

Need help, it’s write it can go up to 17 digit code and letter count double.

I got a code with 3 letters and 7 numbers but they said it’s too long… it’s only 13 digit code

Thanks for help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. 
What do I do if I don’t have the watch logo on the top left. I have a different logo. When I press on it the apps logo appears but it doesn’t contain the apps I have on my watch. Just a few  set up options like day to start week etc.  Thanks Rachel. 

Best Answer

A quick note if you're getting the "Code too long" message - make sure your code has no spaces in it. At some point, spaces were added to the barcodes in my app and caused this issue.

Hope this helps! 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

I don’t have any spaces..
I send you a picture of the barcode[cid:CF7E85B7-41E4-4C85-8A45-DC19DC7298B4-L0-001]
I Dont know what to do!

Thank tou
Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you PLEASE try to change it so you can put a photo of the barcode. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, it looks like a Fitbit app update broke the ability to access the barcodes app settings. 

There is no "apps" icon in the Fitbit menu. I can access installed apps, but only have links to the store now. 

Is there a fix to add new barcodes?

Best Answer
0 Votes