Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

Also, the "contact developer" link goes to this thread. So I hope the developer is reading

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no means of adding a barcode to this app as there is no gear icon next to it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a little different on my Versa 2. You need to click on the name of the app, then the option under "uninstall" says "settings". It's not super obvious. (I'd post screenshots, but apparently I don't have permission to do that.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

In step 3 I don’t have the apps button, cannot find the apps setting for barcodes at all, I have a Fitbit Versa 3

Best Answer
0 Votes

Changer de fitbit versa 3 causes défectuosité. Sur la précédente versa 3 j'avais déjà installé barcodes et je savais dans les options orienté ke code bare sur la montre. Pourquoi c'est plus possible ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a fitbit versa 2 When i go into the app on my phone and i click on my firbit it wont display apps it only displays gallery

Help plss!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love this app on my versa.  I now have the versa 4.  I don't see it.  Is it available for the versa 4?

Best Answer
0 Votes

> Are there any plans to update this for the versa 4?

Never mind, I was trying to help my son get the app installed on his new verse 4 but it seems to effectively have been neutered by Google. No 3rd party apps? WTF?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes.  Versa 4 is supposed to be an upgrade but the versa 2 has more features.   We got ripped off by fitbit.   My next watch will not be a fitbit.   No apps...no music....no barcodes.     Wtf 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned my Versa 4.  I (like many others) feel robbed and cheated with the way they handed us all "Duds"

Best Answer
0 Votes
Smart move. I still own mine and ot sits in a drawer as I went back to the versa 2 that has more features I use

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S22+ 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be nice if this app accepted qr codes

Best Answer
0 Votes