Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

Would love to see an app that I could add my gym membership card to my Ionic.  Something like the CVS app that is currently offered that you can load so the barcode is displayed on the screen of the Ionic,

Best Answer

Hello @AndieJ I did a quick search and found a request to add gym membership through NFC

I also found a request to have the ionic store shopping and membership cards. This would be an ideal choice that a third party could easily write. I added my vote. 

The board we are in is where Fitbit users help each other out The feature suggestion board is where users let the developers know their thoughts. 

Best Answer
Best Answer

Loaded it. It synced floulessly. But the real test was when I got to the gym. It scanned perfectly and shocked the attendant because they thought it was too small of a barcode. Thanks so much for setting me up.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Loaded it. It synced floulessly. But the real test was when I got to the gym. It scanned perfectly and shocked the attendant because they thought it was too small of a barcode. Thanks so much for setting me up.

Andie 
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmTe wrote:

Try this one and let us know if it works:

https://fbgallery.cpfx.ca/#/app/20ba8b5a-f3f9-4f8c-a5a3-10d9eacbd846

I can’t see that listed in the Fitbit App Gallery.

Best Answer
0 Votes

True that's why a link was posted., of which you quoted. Simply click on the link then tap install. This is a private link. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah saw the link but ever the sceptical, I chose not to click on it but rather look direct. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm, does not work for me.

After clicking Install, i get:

Directing you to Gallery in Fitbit mobile application

And then nothing happens????  

Phone: Xiaomi Mi5 OS: Android 7.1/Lineage 14.1
Watch: Ionic
Previous watches:Pebble, Pebble Time, Samsung Gear Fit2
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's a direct link https://gam.fitbit.com/gallery/app/20ba8b5a-f3f9-4f8c-a5a3-10d9eacbd846

The difference with this link is that it doesn't give you a preview of the thumbnails, unlike the aforementioned one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope, same message: Directing you......

I'll have to wait untill it is in the real app list.

Thanks for the try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Elot, I got the same response until i used the link in the original post, not the quoted one.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s there now in the General and Utilities category under View All.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmTe that is because it has been loaded into your tracker 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

@EmTe that is because it has been loaded into your tracker 

No, it's now available in the app gallery, I was able to install it this way without using any links. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gunnerp245 wrote:

Elot, I got the same response until i used the link in the original post, not the quoted one.

Thanks, that worked, although i had to install the app on my Windows laptop first.

But i got it.

I missed that one since a few months, since i switched from Pebble to Samsung (temporary) and now Ionic.

Hope it works as good as the Pebble version i had.

Best Answer

This app doesn't work for me .  The ionic app says " go into app settings on your phone to add barcodes " So I add the barcode number in the phone I hit save, but it doesn't transfer to the watch. I tried also to sync and a new install of the App but nothing. Any ideas out there?  I use iPhone 6.

Best Answer

@MassiP wrote:

This app doesn't work for me .  The ionic app says " go into app settings on your phone to add barcodes " So I add the barcode number in the phone I hit save, but it doesn't transfer to the watch. I tried also to sync and a new install of the App but nothing. Any ideas out there?  I use iPhone 6.

I initially had an issue, but I force stopped the fitbit app and then reopened it and the Ionic vibrated and the barcode had loaded on to it. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Thanks, but still nothing . I also tried with an Ionic reset and to switch off and on the Iphone.... 

Well, it is not that important. Maybe there will be an update of the App, someday.

Best Answer
0 Votes