Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

@oobabydolloo3 wrote:

I have tried all of the above and the app still won’t sync the cards to my ionic. Really frustrating!!!

@Rich_Laue wrote:

After 5 days I still can not get any barcodes into the app. 

@gibbyhome wrote:

Same thing happens to me, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled but still keeps saying to create barcodes from app that I all ready did

Uninstalling and re-installing should have no effect. When the barcode data is updated it will immediately push the settings to the watch storage and the watch app will pick up the settings immediately, or the next time the watch app is launched.

Some steps you can take are:

1. Make sure the watch app is running and the watch is near the phone (put on the same table), and update the barcode data. Wait 30 seconds and see if the barcode app updates.
  2. If that doesn't work, exit the watch app, then relaunch the watch app. (To exit the watch app, just exit to the clock screen.) Wait 30 seconds and see if the barcode app updates.
  3. If that doesn't work, exit the phone app (go to your phone's home screen), then relaunch the phone app and change any of the barcode settings, for example, change the color. Wait 30 seconds and see if the barcode app updates.
  4. If that doesn't work, repeat step 2.
  5. If that doesn't work, restart your watch and try again.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I figured out my issue with the barcode app and its now working, it was nothing to do with the software but I did not have a color selected, You must select a color or you barcodes will not sync. Maybe I can request a app bug report and have a default color selected so stupid people like myself 🙂 know to select a color... LOL Great App..
Best Answer

My app loaded and synced flawlessly too. But the bar code scanner/reader at my gym did not read/the barcode on my ionic. The number on my gym card is five digits. I entered these, but i have to admit that the barcode on my ionic does not seem to resemble the barcode on my gym tag. Any ideas anyone?

Best Answer

Try a barcode scanning app on your phone to see if the resulting numbers in the scan is the same as what you inputted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just noticed an update available for the barcode app.  After the update, my 19 character card now appears properly (previously said it was too long)

Nice!

Pixel XL Oreo Ionic Airpods
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have added several loyalty cards onto my ionic successfully.  However, when the merchant tries to scan there is no response from the watch.  Have you found out anything?

@Drakermom wrote:

My app loaded and synced flawlessly too. But the bar code scanner/reader at my gym did not read/the barcode on my ionic. The number on my gym card is five digits. I entered these, but i have to admit that the barcode on my ionic does not seem to resemble the barcode on my gym tag. Any ideas anyone?

Best Answer

No luck I’m afraid. I’ve tried again. When I hold the ionic under the scanner at the gym the red line (for lack of a better description) seems to slide over rather than register and turn green as my gym tag would. The attendant and I had decided maybe the scanner technology was old. But I haven’t tried any other cards. Maybe I should but I don’t want to look foolish standing in line at the grocery store!!  Btw I don’t have any cover or protective film on my device. 

Best Answer

Mine now also works with 19 chars.

Great work.

Phone: Xiaomi Mi5 OS: Android 7.1/Lineage 14.1
Watch: Ionic
Previous watches:Pebble, Pebble Time, Samsung Gear Fit2
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there a barcode app for Windows 10 desktop that does not require a smart phone?  Or is a smart phone necessary for this type of app to work?

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can only get my barcode scanner to work at Hair Cuttery.  The scanners at Harris Teeter and Wegmans can't seem to pick it up at all.

Update: it works at Harris Teeter if the cashier uses their scanner gun but doesn't work at the self checkout

?
Best Answer

Just as a  follow up. I have tested at 4 different merchants.  Any time a handheld scanner is used, the app performs correctly.   At self checkout scanners or pay at the pump scanners, no success.  Not sure if this is an Ionic hardware limitation, or type of scanner issue.  Would love to know.  Sure would like to get rid of my loyalty cards from my wallet.

Best Answer
One thing ive noticed is sometimes i need to set the brightness up all the way for it to read. It would be nice if the developer could adjust the brightness automatically so its at its brightest when in the app.
Best Answer

@Knox1 it is probably more of a scanner issue .When it comes to reading bar codes on a smart phone hand held scanners seem to work well, the scanners built into the counter almost never scan a barcode on a phone. 

@genericscissors it might be worth contacting the developer terry_fitbit@outlook.com about this. 

I'll have to try the app again in the past iIwas unable to get any barcodes loaded on to the app. 

Best Answer

@CADAVER Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for posting your question regarding the barcode scanner.

There is currently not an option on the Fitbit dashboard for Windows 10 app for desktops available. A smartphone is needed to use the barcode scanner for food items. Check this helpful article for more details.

I was also able to find an app for Fitbit Ionic and Versa that lets you store barcodes like supermarket and gym cards for you to use. This is how it looks on the Fitbit App Gallery:

BarcodesBarcodes

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
Thanks so much for the reply.I am not sure we are on the same page.You
say a smartphone is needed to use the barcode scanner for food items.I
am looking for a barcode app that will substitute for the supermarket
card at the checkout.What you might call a member’s card.

Your third paragraph seemed to be referring to such an app, but there
was nothing to look at or click on, just the word “Barcodes”.

I had downloaded an app called “Barcodes” but the instructions
referred to setting it up using a phone.

I will take another look at the Fitbit App Gallery.If you can add
anything after my comments above, please do.

Thanks again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CADAVERwrote:
I am looking for a barcode app that will substitute for the supermarket card at the checkout.What you might call a member’s card.

I had downloaded an app called “Barcodes” but the instructions referred to setting it up using a phone.

But you previously mentioned you wanted an app for your Windows 10 desktop. If such an app would replace your member's card, how would you take it to the supermarket? I assume you are talking about Windows 10 installed on a portable PC like a laptop or tablet? You aren't physically going to carry a desktop computer with you just to show the member's card app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no idea how a barcode app on a Fitbit watch works.My question was
if a smart phone was needed for the app to work, and if not, was there
such an app that would work with a Windows 10 desktop-synced watch.It is
apparent now that a phone is needed, so that answers my question.

Thanks.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CADAVER Thanks for your reply and for providing that information.

The app called "Barcodes" that I recommended on my previous post does pretty much what you are looking for. Once you download it you will need to go to the phone (but just to add the cards), and then they should sync to Ionic and they should remain there without having to take out your phone. Check the app's description below:

BarcodesBarcodes

If this app doesn't really fills your needs or what you are looking for; I'd recommend posting your idea on the Feature Suggestions Board. This is the best place to ask for future apps you'd like to see on Ionic or Versa. Fitbit and other developers often check this board so it is good to post there. 

Please let me know if you post any new suggestions.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

i believe I stated early on that I don't have a smart phone. That was
the whole purpose of asking for an app that does not require (owning,
not holding-in-hand)) a smart phone.

I'll go to the Feature Suggestions Board.

Thanks.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CADAVER Thanks for your reply and for your interest in posting on the Feature Suggestions Board.

Please let me know once you have posted there, that way I can put a link to your idea here for other users to find it and vote for it. The more votes, the better.

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer