Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding bar-codes to the Barcodes app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This step-by-step guide will tell you how to add bar-codes to the third-party Barcodes app for the Ionic and Versa.

Step 1:

First, manually sync your watch to the phone app. Syncing should clear the communication buffers to accept new data.

Step 2:

Tap on the device icon located in the top left of the Fitbit phone app.

2135.jpg

Step 3:

Tap on the Apps icon.

2136b.png

Step 4:

Tap on the Gear icon located on the right side of the Barcodes menu.

2144.png

Step 5:

Fill out the name of your barcode. You can use the name of the store.

2145.png

Step 6:

Fill out the barcode number. Leave out spaces and dash marks.

2146.png

Step 7:

Scroll down and tap on the Save button. Your watch should vibrate immediately to show it has received the data.

2148.png

Step 8:

Compare the barcode on your watch with the barcode you are copying. The order of the thick and thin bars should be the same. If they don't, tap "Encoding" and choose another option and see if the resulting barcode looks closer.

tesco_real2.jpg

Troubleshooting:

If you get a "Code too long" error, it means your barcode has too many characters and the app cannot generate a barcode that can fit on the screen. You will need a device with a larger screen (let's hope the next Versa will have a 4.5 inch screen Heart) to fit the whole barcode in it.

Conceptually when a "Code too long" error occurs, the barcode runs off the edge of the display therefore rendering it useless (unreadable). Conceptually it looks something like this for a 17 digit code:

code_too_long.jpg

It is worse for barcodes containing letters, because each letter takes twice the amount of space than numbers. Conceptually it looks like this for a 10 letter code:

code_too_long2.jpg

End of Guide

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity/Format

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

I've worked out how to sideload the app to my Versa 3 from here: https://github.com/tyuen/fitbit-barcodes-app

Needed a few updates to get it working and as people are finding out for the Sense I can only access one barcode.  When I get more time I will try and tinker further.  But for me this works the same as I used it on my Versa 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please update the app for Fitbit sense

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried loading it to my Sense from the Github site link, and it says it's available for 5 devices, including the Sense, but it still isn't working on my Sense...I believe thte Versa 3 and Sense use the same OS, Fitbit OS 5.0, so if it workes on your Versa 3, it should work on my Sense...Not sure why it isn't working...

Sense, Versa 2, Versa, Ionic, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Aria
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to rename resources/index.gui to resources/index.view and resources/widgets.gui to resources/widget.defs.  Also had to change a line in widget.defs to .defs instead of .gui.  Updated the package.json file using Fitbit Studio.  I've forked the original code so if I get time, I'll try and get it working properly for the Versa 3 and Sense.  For the Sense it should show up in the Fitbit App catalogue (nearly working).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately I haven't written code since I wrote Basic on a TRS 80 back in the early 80s (I'm thinking about learning to write Fitbit code though), so I only understood a little of what you did...I'll wait until you, or the developer, updates it for the Sense...Thanks for the reply!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmTe hasn't updated the code on the GitHub site for 2 years so I'm not sure how it's even showing up as available for the Sense.  I'm learning as I go, never programmed in Java script before.  Ada is my language of choice.  Hopefully I'll get something working and keep you posted here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks bro! Maybe I'll get around to learning Java script myself...On the Sense, the first barcode does appear, but there is no up and down arrow on the right to switch the barcodes...When you tap where the arrows should be the screen does illuminate faintly, but nothing happens...So, I can use it for one barcode, but that's it...

Best Answer
0 Votes

With the help of @Swdecord and his son, I have updated the Barcodes app to work on the Sense and Versa 3.  You can now tap the white space between the bar code and the title to cycle through the barcodes.

The following link will allow you to install the new app if opened from your phone:

https://gallery.fitbit.com/details/58726c9d-92b2-4a76-b7f0-5f591c27cdf0

Best Answer

Thank you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please add to versa 3 !!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please add to versa 3!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes
Awesome thank you!!

Thank you
Eleni
Best Answer
0 Votes

One of my favorite apps, any plans for an updated version for improved compatibility with the Sense/Versa3?  Thank you,

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is this not compatible with the VERSA 3.

It work great on the 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great! Many, many thanks.

It works - only minor comment is, that while the App starts with barcode #1, tapping the invisible button advances backwards to the last barcode defined. It then continues down to #1.

But again, you did a great job.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah ok.  Thanks for letting me know.  I'll sack my QA team, I only use 2 barcodes.  I've started a separate post.

I'll start a list of expected improvements on that post.  Sort of a todo list...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Edwin49 wrote:

I upgraded from Versa to Versa Sense and now I cannot scroll to the cards anymore. There is no such arrow button on the Sense as mentioned by Leaz. Please add a way to scroll through the bars such as swipe or tap on the screen.

The Sense/Versa 3 uses a new API which is not backwards compatible with the one on the Versa/Versa 2/Versa Lite. Anyway, the latest version appears to fix the bug and the scrolling is back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EmTe There seems to be an issue with Fitbit's App Gallery in that the Sense seems to have got added to a lot of the 4.x API apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes