Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Golf experience

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The Microsoft Band 2 had a great app that used the accelerometer and GPS along with Course maps to give you current yards to hole, tracked your swings and such, any news if there will be a golf app for the fitbit Ionic?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
637 REPLIES 637

When I attempt to use the Game Golf app and launch a course I've downloaded, I receive the error "No GPS Connection". I can see other exercise categories under the "Exercise" module, with options to turn GPS on or off, but I cannot determine how to do this for the Game Golf app.  What have you smart people been doing to get the GPS working? Should it occur on the fly, or do I need to do something on my end?....I have searched the user manual and the only reference for GPS I located is in reference to troubleshooting. TIA!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a thought, but do you have everything ticked on the permissions section of the app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see a "Permissions" section anywhere. When I goto "Apps" and look at the "Settings" for the Game Golf app there are no switches for GPS that I can locate, so I assumed the GPS function occurs automatically when the app is started? 

1. Have you been doing anything manually to engage GPS when using the Game Golf app?

2. Do you know of a way to edit the GPS settings in general on the Ionic?  Maybe I'm over-looking something...

TIA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry! I see the permissions section. Yes, everything is checked, already.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is your “location services” turned on on your phone?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I am talking about the Game Golf app on the Fitbit App on my Iphone. Are we in the same place? That has 2 sections, Settings and Permissions. I tried to play yesterday and the GPS didn't work because I didn't have everything ticked in permissions specifically (I think) Location. I'm no expert though so don't trust my advice!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine connects automatically after I begin the round on the watch. No GPS settings to turn on/off. It does take a few minutes to connect though, and I have to be outside obviously.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Duggameisterwrote:
Is your “location services” turned on on your phone?

Yes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, quick question because I'm thick. Do you need to have your phone with you for the Game Golf App to work given that the Ionic has built in GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Psmith20wrote:

Mine connects automatically after I begin the round on the watch. No GPS settings to turn on/off. It does take a few minutes to connect though, and I have to be outside obviously.

Thanks, maybe I'm being too impatient. I'll allow more time to connect. My prior attempts were less than 30 seconds before I deemed it a failure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Appinwrote:

Ok, quick question because I'm thick. Do you need to have your phone with you for the Game Golf App to work given that the Ionic has built in GPS?

No, you don't have to have your phone with you. Ionic will utilize it's own GPS...

Best Answer

Mine connected right away too. Location service on phone is on, I loaded my course in advance , got to the course, chose my course on the app on the Ionic and it worked. It took me a few holes to figure out the 2 lines at the bottom of the screen are to advance to the next hole or go back to prior hole. Otherwise it worked great. I have a Bushnell rangefinder and found Game Golf to be very accurate.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Duggameisterwrote:
Mine connected right away too. Location service on phone is on, I loaded my course in advance , got to the course, chose my course on the app on the Ionic and it worked. It took me a few holes to figure out the 2 lines at the bottom of the screen are to advance to the next hole or go back to prior hole. Otherwise it worked great. I have a Bushnell rangefinder and found Game Golf to be very accurate.
Thanks Doug. When you say yours connected right away, about how long does it take for the GPS to find a connection?  Is it usually instantaneous, or does it take minute or two?

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes
It took under a minute on my ionic.
Did anyone had a problem with front, center and back of green readings?
I only played one course with the ionic so far and the front to green reading on the watch match the distances to center reading on the sprinkler heads on the course.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Crizzlewrote:
It took under a minute on my ionic.
Did anyone had a problem with front, center and back of green readings?
I only played one course with the ionic so far and the front to green reading on the watch match the distances to center reading on the sprinkler heads on the course.

Much earlier in this thread someone mentioned a similar issue. Although several other folks with alternate range finders were pleased with the Ionic's performance when checked against other ranging tools...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think ist was me who posted the issue last week :-), I just didn’t get an answer and thought now that more people used it, they might maybe had the same issue…
Best Answer
0 Votes

The app works without you phone. The app uses the gps of your watch, the gps permission is for the phone to search the courses.

Best Answer

I'm thinking we've hammered this to pieces, pretty sure if you're having technical type problems the questions should probably be directed to the designer of the app which is under the app info on your phone. 

With regards to the app, it's basic, and I will continue to use my garmin s20.  It shows on my phone after the round syncs all my round stats, distance of each shot ect.  I think this game golf app is for the person who just wants distance and that's it. 

Little disappointed as the watch has the memory and the screen to do something really impressive.  I understand they're target audience is probably the people who are looking for a watch while they work out and that's fine.  It's a great watch for that.  But.....what you offer apps like this for golf why not go that extra mile and make it really impressive.  They had the opportunity to get people to sell their garmins or bushels to purchase this watch and have the best of everything on one device. 

Is what it is.  Hopefully they make some updates and can possibly wow us with their golf app.

Tim.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think it took a minute, not long, I mean it wasn’t irritating or anything. I really liked it. I had winter gloves on so I had to take them off to hit the hole advance button, but it worked great. My course is in MD.
Doug
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just in case. I have a medium/long delay where it says no gps. But once
it kicks in, it works. How long have you waited while it says 'no gps)?
Best Answer
0 Votes