Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather app Fahrenheit only

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does the weather widget display Fahrenheit only? Or am I missing something?  No way to change it? 

Best Answer
206 REPLIES 206

AS a programmer, I know that it should be a simple change. At the moment it's probably an 'if then else' situation i.e. if the units are miles then the temperature routine is fahrenheit else it is celsius'. All they have to do is add an extra variable that holds temperature units separately and add an input entry to ask and store the result.

I bet that fitbit don't do or understand the programming and it is done in the far east alongside everything else. The change should take no more than ten minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DenGolding,

While I agree that this should be addressed, I think you're over-simplifying the problem.

I'm a programmer (and no, not for Fitbit) as well and have experience dealing with managing data.  Yes, locally, as in within the Weather App, it's just one more variable.  Realistically, it's a bit more involved than that...

The real fix is to add another setting for temperature under your profile settings for units.  Though if they're going to do that, they should also address the length units issues with locales like Canada (English units for height and metric units for distance).  In order to do this (I'm assuming it'd require at least this):

• They'll have to change the schema to their database for user profiles and add another column for unit setting for temperature (and as mentioned above, one for height).
  • They'll need to establish a 'reasonable default' for which units people will use.  This will probably be based on the length units as it currently is.
  • They'd need to change the schema to the above table to make that column non-nullable.
  • If they have backup databases, then their IT needs to figure out how to conditionally populate this column... that is if the backup happens to have the column or not.
  • There are many places where you can set these preferences.  The online dashboard and the many versions of the Fitbit App (Windows: phone, tablet, laptop, desktop; Android: phone, tablet; iOS: phone, tablet)…  That's nine versions; you'll need to update them all.
  • You'll need to verify that all the updates to the website and apps look sane and sensible.
  • You'll need to implement and verify that all of the UI updates are sensible for all languages (not just English).
  • You'll have to coordinate the release of each of the versions of the above apps.
  • All references to read and write to the database will need to be tried and verified.
  • Oh, and naturally, the Weather App will need to be updated.

I don't know about you, but that sounds like far more than 10 minutes to me.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why can’t I control the temperature units separately from the distance units?? 

I live in the UK where we measure distance in miles but generally use Deg C for temperature!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not really a great solution though?! I would like to see miles and Celsius, which is how most of the UK works! Can we suggest improvement for users to be able to choose F and C too please?

Best Answer

I totally agree!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Martin1909 @steventyson_uk @SteveP55 @ManviB @DenGolding Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for your interest in having an option to change the weather units independently.

If you haven't done so already, please cast a vote for the following feature suggestion:

You can also leave a comment there to show your support for the idea. The more votes, the better.

@PureEvil I hope you're doing well! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It does sounds like it will take more than 10 minutes to achieve.

See you around! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have downloaded an app that you can manually change the temperature to Celsius without switching the distance to km.  It's called WeatherCast by Chris Spooner. It's a shame Fitbit haven't done anything on their default weather app for us UK customers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I switched to kilometres and now my temperature is in Celsius.....yeah.

Best Answer
0 Votes
? That’s not the point!

Thanks
Phillip

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any update yet as to Mikes & Celsius for the UK?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jdav0509 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! No updates yet. Please stay tuned on this Feature Suggestion for updates. 

@Rosierunner I hope you're doing well! Where did you find that app? Did you downloaded it to your watch? 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found it by going into the fitbit app and then click on all apps. It's a shame the weather on the front screen is still in Fahrenheit which means nothing to me, but at least I can open the new app to find out the weather. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rosierunner Thanks for your reply and for sharing that valuable information. 

Yes, I think this could be an alternative to use in the meanwhile Fitbit decides what to do with the suggestion posted above. Thanks again for sharing your experience. Keen to hear if any other users have used this app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit My fitbit whether app is still showing Fahrenheit instead of Celsius though I had change my settings from Miles to KM

Also when I turn on my auto location and automatic time zone/ automatic location at advance setting it is not taking India & mumbai but taking some other country

Best Answer
0 Votes

That doesn't work for people in the UK. The nation has standardised around Celcius for temperatures and Miles for distances.

Best Answer

Well that's a STUNNING piece of customer service. We've been asking you to fix this _BUG_ since August last year. And now you've closed the "feature request".

I've been a loyal customer since the Fitbit One. I've owned the One, the Surge, the Blaze, the Ionic, and the Aria. I've personally bought your products as gifts, and recommended them to others as I believed they are the best activity tracker on the market. And your customer service WAS excellent!

That's over. This shows an utter and complete disregard for UK users.  I will never buy, or recommend, Fitbit products again.

Best Answer
Please, please, please fix this bug... it's been 6 months of unusable weather app.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all! Thanks for your interest in having the weather shown in Celsius units. 

If you happen to live in a region which utilizes a combination of metric and standard measurements (Miles and Celcius) I recommend casting a vote for this feature suggestion, as this is the best way for our team to gauge interest in the implementation of changes to our products. 

@IonicSyncink Thanks for reporting that. What country is it showing? What current location is the Fitbit app showing?

Hope this helps! Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Already done it months ago

Thanks
Phillip

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the posting on this thread regarding the weather to be shown in Celsius units.

I just wanted to recommend a clock face I want you to try. It is called "Weather Land" and it seems that it has the option within its settings to select between Fahrenheit and Celsius. Could you try?:

• Open the Fitbit App.
  • Go to Clock faces > My clock and press the gear icon.
  • Within those settings, search the temperature scale to be used.

Please try this out and let me know if this works for you. If it does, you can use that one for the moment.

Best Answer
0 Votes