Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384
You are not alone.
Best Answer

I am just furious with this change!!! Totally unacceptable and you CLEARLY are not listening to your customers.

A year ago this thread started pointing out the absurd hoops we had to jump through to get more than a month of data exported: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Export-more-than-31-days-of-data/idc-p/3072306

Note that they removed the text that said:

Your data belongs to you!

Now you take away the functionality to export just my weight?!?!?

To have individual .json files, not a standard .csv or Excel file.

What were they thinking @KateFitbit?

My confidence in FitBit is gone and I won't be buying another Fitbit product again for me or my family. Was actually was going to be getting a new one at Christmas since mu One is over 5 years old.

I suggest everyone that is staying with them call 877-623-4997, ask to speak to a supervisor and give your complaints like I did. Doubt it will do any good...

P.S. If you want to get vocal on Twitter here are some people to tag: @parkjames @emich @amybmcdonough @FitbitSupport @FitbitDev

>Fitbit One and Aria scale user since 2013.
Best Answer

Ummm.  Where do I begin?  This change is CRAP.  I loved the ability to download either via CSV or excel my food log as well as body (aka weight).  I used this information on a weekly basis to send to my trainer.  Restore the previous ability back or Fitbit will be losing lots of customers.  What good is data when it can't be opened or shared?  Poor move guys.  Better fix quickly.

Best Answer

Besides all the drawbacks outlined here by others I also point out that this change was introduced without any notice to users, which speaks of a fundamental disrespect for its customers by Fitbit.

We should have been advised in advance about a change as jarring as, with a clear explanation of the new system and how to use it. This did not happen.

I suggest that changes be made to allow users to download only those parts of their data that they wish to have at any time, instead of supplying everything at once. This ability was formerly available; it should be restored. The old system wasn't broke so why was it "fixed"?

Best Answer

I'm upset!

This "improvement" is a big step backward. I don't understand why it's necessary to take away all of the good things for average users including choice in "File format (.xls or .csv)", ability to select specific "Time periods", and the "Dataset" of interest.

Please give us the choice of using the old or new exporter until the new version is ready for primetime.

Best Answer

Per a twitter reply of about 20 minutes ago from @FitbitSupport they currently do not have an option to change it back to .xls nor .csv.  I suggest we bombard their @Fitbit and @fitbitsupport with our complaints.  They are reading Twitter at least.  I suggested they read the Fitbit community comments.

Best Answer

@roboqueen68 wrote:

Per a twitter reply of about 20 minutes ago from @FitbitSupport they currently do not have an option to change it back to .xls nor .csv.  I suggest we bombard their @Fitbit and @fitbitsupport with our complaints.  They are reading Twitter at least.  I suggested they read the Fitbit community comments.

I took your advice and added @Fitbitdesign and @ Fitbitdev. Let's see if it helps.

Best Answer

Here's hoping.  I've never seen a company make such a change so drastic like this.  I use the export option on a weekly basis for my trainer.  Hope they see the error in their thinking.

Best Answer

@roboqueen68 wrote:

So they are responding on Twitter but ignoring people on their own community forum. It gets worse!

Best Answer

According to Rhea who was as helpful as she could be (not much):

Rhea: Yes, Les. They're already working and taking care of this issue.

But earlier she did confess:

Rhea: I'm really sorry if you feel that way, Les. To be honest, we're also waiting further instructions from our higher tier about this issue.

So my fourth customer support chat in as many days ends in futility.  Not I might add because of the agent, they seem to be as much in the dark, but due to Fitbit's complete lack of communication and understanding.  Not sure I have experienced anything like this before.  Their timing, just before the holiday giving season, is insane. 

If you are out there, Fitbit execs, enjoy your last few months because once this gets out, the defections will mount.

Best Answer

Tweet @parkjames (Co-founder of Fitbit).  I just tweeted him asking when they were going to fix the data export utility.  Should be interesting.  Let's add him to the bombard mix.

Best Answer

I think I may have managed to email Jonathan Oakes (SVP Product). We'll see what happens.

Anybody on LinkedIn Premium? The executive are on there and you will be able to message them if you are a premium subscriber

Pete

Best Answer

This is a horrible change.  I want to download just last week's activity  in CSV format the same as I've been doing for years now.  Instead I get 1,976 .JSON files with minute by minute data in Java Script format.  I appreciate having access to the more detailed data, but a very small percentage of your users can use the data in this format.  Please allow us to choose which format we want to download.

Best Answer
My Guess is the server was overloaded by people doing on demand downloads.
Probably a quick fix for that
Best Answer

I'll echo everything here. I was looking at a new Fitbit for BlackFriday for me and my wife, but I can't take the chance now without having .CSV data export access. 

Can you confirm this will be back before I make a purchase decision this week?

Best Answer

Wow, this is some bull**ahem**. The earlier export function really sucked - the one month limit was not only ridiculous in itself, it was poorly implemented - but this is flat-out insane. It is clear that Fitbit is not at all interested in making customers' data available to customers, even though they fulfill the letter of the law (when it comes to the EU's GDPR).

I've been very happy with my fitbit in a technical sense, but if this doesn't get any better I will absolutely not get another fitbit when this one's lifetime is over.

Best Answer

** Warning** Rant following.

I would strongly disagree with the word 'improvement'.  This is definitely a retrograde step - changing from a simple, easy to use and understand, parameterised export tool to one which is all-or-nothing and for your whole Fitbit life. Might be easier for Fitbit but I can't see how it would be better for users.  Would probabl discourage people from using the tool as well - maybe that is the intention?   From reading this post, Fitbit's approach seems to be 'if you don't like it, bad luck'.  Was anyone asked whether they would want this?  Especially instead of the old tool, rather than as an additional option.  I don't really believe that anyone would set up 'new' functionality that required the same data to be downloaded time after time after time, whenever one wanted just the latest.  I used to download a week's data every Monday and add it to a spreadsheet, but if this is Fitbit's option, I guess I'll stop using it.  Definitely changes how I feel about Fitbit as a whole if they are prepared to do this with no warning.  Would definitely point out this if anyone asked for a recommendation.

Best Answer

I would like to join the other voices saying this change to export data is dreadful.  I used to be able to export the past week, and only the data that I wanted.  Now, I have no idea what's going on, but I certainly don't want all the data in a zip file as someone has suggested.  This could be enough to make me move to another fitness tracker.  

Best Answer

@NotThatBob

I feel like you could make some money by building a script to export all these json files to csv

Fitbit clearly doesn't care to.

Best Answer
0 Votes
But that wouldn’t address the bad/missing data. See my post number 96. And there is at least one missing table that was pointed out earlier today.

Sent from my iPhone SE.
RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes