Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

The new data export tool is awful....the old one worked fine, although it was limited...very disappointed that the process has been made so much harder and now we have limits on how many downloads we can get.  I'm all for change when it is positive, but this one is terrible.

Best Answer

I'm a member of a wellness program at work and I have to send my monthly data to them to receive my rewards.  I exported my data and received the zip file with data I can't open or convert to send to them!  If there's an improvement here, I literally can't see it.

Best Answer

@bmc511 Thanks for the bug report. I haven’t been able to test the Fitbit Data JSON to .csv File Converter tool in every way. The alert/warning that appears is something that you are describing I added last night from previous feedback. At this time the tool isn’t able to merge different data types. 

When you tried to merge 8 or so files of the same type, what data type was it? 

Pulse Watch, export your Fitbit heart rate data
https://iccir919.github.io/pulseWatch/public/index.html
Best Answer

When I exported the data, I got 749 json files.  After getting the error message trying to combine all of them I picked the 11 files that were all of the type "calories-2018-xx-xx.json", where x = a number from 0 to 9.

Best Answer

@bmc511, apologies about the inconvenience. I believe I fixed the issue. You can now again merge files of the same data type with the tool. It may take 30-60 seconds for your browser to process the files.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@iccir919 -

I first tried a group of food logs - no joy.

Then a single heart rate file, again nothing.

I waited to reply so I could forward a single 47KB food record to my work email address (something I normally do not do) so I could try a Windows 7 / IE 11 combination. Waited for ten minutes and nothing,

Turned off my anti-virus policy and tried again - no output.

Tested handing the converter two different data types the JSON file and a text file to see if it would error - no alert box. JSON file and an Excel spreadsheet - no alert box.

<<edit>> made sure the file was not being "blocked" from use by Windows - re-ran - no output.<<end edit>>

I guess my environment isn't playing well with others.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have not tried this lately, but I had a MyFitnessPal (MyFP) account earlier this year and linked Garmin Connect to MyFP and MyFP to Fitbit.  It was kind of circuitous, but, if I remember correctly, I think I was able to sync my step and other activity data logged on Fitbit with Garmin through MyFP. Unfortunately, I found the food tracking on MyFP to be really crappy to use so (not to mention duplication of effort since I was already doing this on Fitbit dashboard), that I discontinued after a day or so.  I've since un-linked MyFP from Garmin and Fitbit and deleted my MyFP account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv the file merging tool was not working from last night up until a few seconds ago. Adding the alert window for merging different data types temporarily broke everything else, of course. It should be all good now.

I am sorry you are not seeing the alert window. I see from your signature you have an Apple computer like me. I tested on an Apple and it looked all good in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

Are you using an Apple or Microsoft computer? What Internet browser are you using?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This data export "upgrade" is a blatant cash grab attempt by FitBit. Almost 2 full weeks since the change went live and still not a meaningful reply from a member of the FitBit staff. Yet when you go to the premium page you can do a 1 time free trial of the old data export feature. Your data belongs to you.. if you want to pay 49 a month! I work in a research unit that has 3 studies using FitBits right now, about 120+ trackers going at a time. We can either pay 49 on top of the 80 - 150 we pay per tracker per participant to get the data the way it used to show up, or settle for converting all these terrible json format files from the beginning of time with no ability to set date ranges. And for each one we need to send a request from that participant's login. Then go into their email and accept the request. Then go back into Fitbit and download the request. Then wait for it to get downloaded. 

What a slap in the face. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pscg7530 thanks I'll check it out

Best Answer
0 Votes

The thing is, I wrote a simple javascript to add up the data in json file. It doesn't even add up! Since the json is showing me step data every few hours, I add up all the step in single day for all days in that json. It does not match the data in my app!!! wtf?!! Is the date in different time zone>?!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stvding -

Steps reference GMT, as do Distance, Exercise and Heart Rate

Calories and Altitude reference local time, in my case PST.

See my post number 96 from 11/17/2018 at 20:14 PST for other inconsistencies and omissions.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarv wrote:

@stvding -

Steps reference GMT, as do Distance, Exercise and Heart Rate

Calories and Altitude reference local time, in my case PST.

See my post number 96 from 11/17/2018 at 20:14 PST for other inconsistencies and omissions.

Add GPS data to the list of omissions. Like it or not if this full data export is to meet the GDPR obligations they aren't complying it as they have the GPS logs

Best Answer
0 Votes
@stvding - I had the same problem after converting json to csv and using
Excel. The numbers match after corrected for time zone. I only did the
step files.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think we've lost this thread to "developer corner", if we want fitbit to take complaints seriously then using it to tell them we have found/are finding a solution is only going to make them ignore the issue more. Perhaps start a new thread with the development stuff in there so this one can be left to put pressure on to get a proper solution.

Hope this doesn't offend those who are working hard on this, but every email I see now is nothing to do with the task at hand of getting the owners of the product to sort out the mess they have created.

Best Answer

@eglons -

I would agree except for two things:

1. At least one other thread about this has been merged into this thread and locked.
  2. But most importantly, I believe it is the missing data that is the biggest issue and that is a developer issue, unless you mean the discussing how to convert GMT to Local and milliseconds to hours and such.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The latter... missing data can be solved once we have access to it in a way it can be used.

I'm going to drop off this thread now and hope that the mods can wade through the noise and find the real issues.

Best Answer

@iccir919 -

ThinkPad T430 running Windows 7 and IE 11.

Alert on mismatch of file types now working.

Single food JSON file conversion still not working - even with Virus Scan Policy disabled in case that was the issue.

I'll try it again tonight using my Mac.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@craigvan existing users can continue to use Premium, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Am I understanding this correctly. If I pay, I can have MY data in a usable format as it used to be? Christmas is coming. Wife wants to know what to buy me. Would have been a Charge 3, will probably now be something beginning with G. 

Best Answer
0 Votes