Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

Another disappointed user here.  Please go back to the way things were previously done, or at least provide both options for customers.  Makes me wonder if this change was done for the user, or for internal reasons because it made the programmers job easier somehow.  Very disappointed.  Like many others, this data was being shared and manipulated so that it fit and suit my needs.  Not having immediate access to what is MY information is very frustrating.

Best Answer

Hi - I agree that this change in data export is very negative. I will have to bin my Fitbit Charge 2 and find an alternative tracker from another company unless Fitbit go back to allowing me to export just the files I want and into a spreadsheet format.

Sorry about that, but it seems Fitbit taken another step backwards instead of forwards - change for changes sake? The weekly summary also used to be helpful but the current version is useless for the likes of myself who can only synch every few days or so - not everyone has a 24-hour mobile signal or internet access! I have not received a weekly update which has included data all seven days since that change was introduced.

Can you please re-instate the spreadsheet version for data one can select oneself.

Yours in hope

Best Answer

Help!  I can no longer download my data into Excel.  What happened?  Please fix this ASAP.  I have been downloading my Fitbit data into an Excel spreadsheet where I have set up graphs to track my progress to goal.  I have been doing this using Fitbit for years.  Suddenly this feature is no longer available?  This is terrible!  Please fix this ASAP or I will have to begin researching fitness trackers from other companies.  I must have my data!  Please, Please, Please put it back the way it was before, so we can download into Excel.  

moderator edit: capitalization, punctuation

Best Answer

Maybe I can drive up (it's only 400 miles from Orange County) and give a "Data Extract 101" class...

followed by "Creating standards and living by them" class

followed by "Incomplete data is worse than no data" class

followed by "How to keep your customers happy with easy to understand and use extracts" class

I could start by taking my beautiful Charge 3, placing it on a table and striking it with a sledge hammer, showing them pretty much what they have done to it with their extracts, as their old one wasn't much better.

Not to mention - aw heck - that's enough.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Not saying we should have to do this but for those familiar with Excel you can use the Power Query Add In to create a useful table out of the JSON files.  When you overwrite the data for updates any tables you made should update as well.

Best Answer

@ThatDude2099 -

Good idea - unless you are running a Mac - Power BI is still not available for that platform - at least that is my impression.

And discrete investigation into any tool from Microsoft to import/attach to/extract from JSON into Excel has been met with "not available for the Mac" warnings.

At least that is my experience. And once I quit developing for the Windows platform and also had no need to be running virtual machines for database, data warehousing  and web development, I turned to the Dark Side and jumped on the Apple bandwagon like everyone else in my house. Simpler to support one platform per family.

--- edit ---

From support-dot-office-dot-com:

"Excel 2011 and Excel 2016 for Mac

Get & Transform (Power Query) is not supported on the Mac."

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

@ThatDude2099 wrote:

Not saying we should have to do this but for those familiar with Excel you can use the Power Query Add In to create a useful table out of the JSON files.  When you overwrite the data for updates any tables you made should update as well.

I like to think I know my way around Excel, but being old school have never used power query. I fumbeld about a bit and got it going but its a bit complex to just play with so a case of "if all else fails read the instructions"

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/getting-started-with-power-query-7104fbee-9e62-4cb9-a02e-5b...

I've yet to get something sensible out of it but it does look powerfull. I'm guessing not for everybody, whatsmore if they do tidy up and standardise the data formats (as @MrMarv has been advising) or change it in any way whatever you have set up may need rework.

Good luck

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

https://json-csv.com/ will turn your JSON files to Excel - some are huge though as we now have all the data including minute by minutes steps, calories and heart rate data.  The ones you want are the smaller files probably which you can convert for free with this online tool.

Best Answer

I cannot see how anything about this new download is an "improvement."  Improved for whom?  This is a terrible change.  It's awkward and time consuming.  Multiple emails are required, it takes a long time to download because it apparently downloads everything every time, and when the data are finally downloaded the files are in a format that is not easily used.  And do we really have to attempt to open up a file for each activity for each month?  I doubt I will ever bother to download my data again. 

Best Answer

Thank you for the suggestion Reydoog, unfortunately, to convert a month of calorie data you have to upgrade to the pro version: $10 per month. I don't think so.

Best Answer

I started experimenting with it last night. It’s not simple. Programming experience helps. Extracting sleep data was especially complex. Worse yet, the extract is the entire history and yet days come in files with batches unlikely to match your own preferred frequncy. 

Best Answer

Signed up for Community just to complain.  Please bring back Excel downloads.

Or just change the dashboard so I can copy and paste.

Best Answer

@Reydoog wrote:

https://json-csv.com/ will turn your JSON files to Excel - some are huge though as we now have all the data including minute by minutes steps, calories and heart rate data.  The ones you want are the smaller files probably which you can convert for free with this online tool.

The problem with this option is the file size limit: 1MB (standard) / 50MB (pro). My file is over 56MB.

Best Answer

@nightowl1016My exports are 147mb.....

Edited... I had trouble posting this and it was coming up with errors to correct and not being shown.. Result 2 x posts

@nightowl1016 wrote:

@Reydoog wrote:

The problem with this option is the file size limit: 1MB (standard) / 50MB (pro). My file is over 56MB.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: It's a very lively conversation here! While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.  

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

@KateFitbitThanks for chiming in...  I had a reply from Support which follows your thinking but more in the line of the new Export Tool.. No reason as to why...the dramatic unworkable change..

Especially having to download a lifetime of data every time.

@KateFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: It's a very lively conversation here! While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.  

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

JSON file are *not* a commonly used file format as very clearly stated in my rights to access and control my data. I am emailing info@dataprotection.ie about this. 

What was wrong with the previous method of downloading our data? Was it too convenient for us??? @KateFitbit Additionally, we were not notified of this change at all! And this has a huge impact on the usefulness of a fitbit. What use is it to me now? 

Best Answer

Oh the irony.  Our HR dept in collaboration with the Health & Wellness folks buy Fitbits in bulk to sell at reduced cost to employees at our large institution.  They go on sale on Monday.  My plans for a 3rd upgrade are obliterated by this file type downgrade.  I started researching other devices this afternoon and will suggest to the powers-that-be we investigate new and more user friendly devices for the next round.  Seriously big mistake was made by Fitbit here.  Lack of response to this long thread is not encouraging.   Stating that some folks have difficulty with the new download format completely misses the point and doesn't begin to acknowledge the frustration level of the people responding.  It's not difficulty with the file type, it's complete ignorance as to what that file type is and how to even begin to work with it.  

Best Answer

It is very simple. Reverse the changes you have made and we will all be happy!

I have purchased two fit bits in the past three month and find this to be an ideal gift for my staff. I will not make another fitbit purchase until you can address this download issue!

You will loose a real fan!

Best Answer

Hi,

another vote for returning to the old format.

I have a spreadsheet of my steps, weight and sleep going back over three years. It would be very annoying if I couldn't update this going forward from simple CSV files.

To be honest, if I have to start again then I may as well start again with a different fitness tracker.

DC

Best Answer