Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

This quote in Forbes today seems timely and relevant to this discussion board: "According to Fitbit CFO, Ronald Kisling, 'too much data can be just as useless as too little data.'”

I need to make a decision about whether there's going to be a workable solution here. I use the daily-level data, importing it each week and then combining it with other sources that Fitbit doesn't track. I have the ability to write scripts to import JSON files but I don't have the time, especially when there are other solutions out there in the market. From reading your company's response to another user on Twitter, the message is that it's not actually possible to restore the previous export format. If that's the case or there's absolutely no chance you'll consider restoring it, I'd like to know that so I know my options. Likewise, I'd like to know if you're committed to keeping the JSON format so we all know whether figuring out how to use it will be worth the investment in time and effort. Finally, I thought there was previously text on your website that "your data" will always belong to you. I can't find it now. Has that commitment changed, or what is the commitment for the future?

To summarize: 1. Is there no chance of restore the previous data export format? 2. Are you committed to keeping the JSON format? 3. Is there a commitment to users that they will always be able to access their data?

Best Answer
There are Web sites that can convert json to CSV XLS but I didn't find the
food data very helpful even then
Best Answer
I tweeted again. They aren't reading the posts. Thinking social media is
the only way.

Here's my recent tweet

@Fitbit
@FitbitSupport
@parkjames

You guys have a major issue on hand about users unable to download usable
data. Word is getting out. Black Friday is near. NEED TO FIX.

Hope they see the light.
Best Answer

There is now a thread going on the "Feature Suggestion" part of the Fitbit support site. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Restore-Feature-for-Data-Download-CSV-file/idi-p...

I think its best to keep echoing messages here, hitting them on Twitter and voting for this "feature" to come back. 

Best Answer
Zero nutritional value for custom foods. See my post number 96.

Sent from my iPhone SE.
RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarvThanks for your help again... I have my posts sorted by Newest to Oldest which affects your #96 post number which is variable in my case, your post is currently number 52 on the 4th page in my sort sequence.. . #96 is correct if you have the posts sorted Oldest to Newest..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

We need to hit them on social media.  They sent me a private tweet asking about their customer service.  Told them to fix the CSV download then we would talk . They are reading Twitter. 

@Fitbit

@fitbitsupport

@parkjames

Best Answer

@roboqueen68 wrote:
I tweeted again. They aren't reading the posts. Thinking social media is
the only way.

Here's my recent tweet

@Fitbit
@FitbitSupport
@parkjames

You guys have a major issue on hand about users unable to download usable
data. Word is getting out. Black Friday is near. NEED TO FIX.

Hope they see the light.

and @fitbitdev

Pete

Best Answer

@Colinm39 wrote:

@MrMarvThanks for your help again... I have my posts sorted by Newest to Oldest which affects your #96 post number which is variable in my case, your post is currently number 52 on the 4th page in my sort sequence.. . #96 is correct if you have the posts sorted Oldest to Newest..

Another bug in their system. Their thread should keep the post index # whatever order you choose to sort them.  Amateurs?

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbitThanks for reading the posts..

We are now averaging 21 posts/day on this issue and this must be raising the red flag somewhere in the Fitbit organization..

When are we going to see a red banner on top of our Dashboard view, warning all of the users that Fitbit are aware and working on the issue..or a statement of the future of "our data".

I can survive because I still have my Premium account, but the HR data in this new export is useless to me because it's being exported in GMT and non CSV format.

I can't even get answers from my emailed Support about this problem.

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@MrMarvI would definitely mark your post as a solution because you have described and documented the problem..

Then the disgruntled Fitbitters can click on the Solution and read your breakdown of the export file issues.. Don't have to worry about the post number then.. Just a bevy of posts complaining it's not a Solution...

Way to go...What do you think ?

Best Answer

@MrMarv wrote:

@SunsetRunner -

Did someone already take the name TonEighty?

@MrMarv
Marv
Smiley Very Happy I didn't check. Doubletop has a particular relevance

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 -

Wouldn't bother me - I wonder how long it would be allowed?

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes
You suggested I put my post as the solution….?  Can I do it myself?    This is actually the first time I’ve posted a problem but I see I’m sure not alone!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrMarvWith your signature... my issue.... ignore the export data..  solved...

I use PulseWatch and SquashLeague for my HR data.

So it helped me.... Let's see what others think..

@MrMarv wrote:

@Colinm39 -

Wouldn't bother me - I wonder how long it would be allowed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fear there could be a disadvantage of marking any previous post as a solution. The Fitbit forum moderators might not monitor this thread as much, thinking that it's a done deal. Until the problem has been fixed, I'd leave it unsolved.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

@GondwanaYes.... Many of us have tried to get responses, so my Smiley Tongue would not help the situation.

Let's see how long it takes Fitbit to respond with a positive answer.

@SunsetRunner  You can't mark your own posts only others.. That's why I mentioned @MrMarv post because it stopped me wasting time...

@Gondwana wrote:

I fear there could be a disadvantage of marking any previous post as a solution. The Fitbit forum moderators might not monitor this thread as much, thinking that it's a done deal. Until the problem has been fixed, I'd leave it unsolved.

Best Answer
I hope I get a copy of their response… 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Was considering purchasing a fitbit for my girlfriend for christmas because I loved being able to play around with the data in excel. Will definitely seek out an alternative if this issue is not resolved.. it is a major hit to the value of all fitbit products!

Best Answer

I agree with other Fitbit users, bring back the Excel download function please.  This facility was a big attraction to myself and wife and very disappointed to see it removed.

Best Answer