Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track bicycling

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
How do you trac bicycling or other non walking activities
Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

@dadams14 Cycling can be tracked with the Fitbit Surge and Blaze once that has been released in March. If you're not a Surge user, the only option available is to manually log your activity.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

It is probably not too accurate, but putting the fitbit flex into my pocket does register activity, however it is not easy for me to put the flex back onto my arm...(that little clip, who designed that?)

Best Answer

logging is a second best solution (I think).

I have purchased the "ONE" three days ago, very happy with it, but I already miss a sophisticated cycling tracking option and a sleeping tracking action based on heart rate and body temperature. Can not find these option in the more expensive devices of fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I put my fitbit flex away.  I don't need the primative method of moving my hand counting them as steps.  This is not accurate.  I think one  could be working at a workshop with their  hands all day and never  walk a step and meet the  10,000 goal.  I will no longer use it until it becomes more accurate.  I don't know what that all intails, but somebody has to figure it out before I buy again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done some searching on the internet. Bicycling is a totally different movement than walking. So devices as Fitbit that track walking and from walking derived movements like running, are not suited for bicycle tracking. A very cheap (10-15 US$) and simple bike odometer gives already more info than a fitbit ONE. More sophisticated bike activity trackers use a dedicated sensor, attached to your foot or bike pedal. But I am satisfied with a cheap odometer. I am just a normal guy without supersport ambitions.

Best Answer

I have no trouble with cycling logging. I have a cylcemeter on bike, it records distance, ride time,etc. I just take off handle bars when get home and record it on to my fitbit dashboard (go on to the + icon,enter bike ride under my bike heading) Job done, nice and simple and very accurate. The Fitbit flex is really for tracking step, not peddles.xx

Best Answer

The Cyclemeter doesn't translate the cycling effort into steps.  It has a built in GPS and records elevation, temperature, speed, distance, etc. so it has a pretty good estimation of calories burned and miles traveled.  It's much more accurate for a bicycle than the Fitbit's pedometer function. If I ride 21 miles in 1:45 hrs it gives a pretty good estimation of energy expended.  I then log the exercise into my Fitbit website on the computer. You can't log it into the phone app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Olive and S.Buster for your breaction, but I am happy with a smple odometer, it suits my demands. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t really worry about the steps from my cycling, I am still using up calories and adding to my active (forgot what the box is called? Active/energy used?) total. It is all good for me!!xx.

Yes, that’s what it is meant to be for-walking/run log. I don’t worry about converting cycling into steps, was just saying that I can log cycle and get active time for my efforts.xx.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dadams14 I suggest confirming that you're following the wearing instructions for Flex, found here.

@Deen I think that would be an awesome suggestion for our Feature Requests boards!

Also, the Fitbit One is not ideal for tracking cyclling. I recommend checking out the Surge or Blaze, which both come with "Bike" exercise modes. You can learn more about exercise modes for Surge and Blaze here. Another option is to manually log your cycling as @olive114@soddbbuster pointed out above.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

I attach my One to my shoelace as well and from what I can tell it tracks just about half of the steps.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got this for Christmas and am trying to follow the directions to log bicycling.  I go to the dashboard (on my phone), but don't see "log".

Best Answer
0 Votes

Type in Bike in the activities. it comes up automatically

Best Answer

We can't get our biking to log on to the Fitbit.  When we went to the dashboard, we did not find log as suggested and the only activity I found was goals.  When we scrolled to the bottom of the activity goal page, it did not have a place to type in anything.  We have the Fitbit Charge 2.  My husband is in an activity study at MD Anderson and we wanted to be sure he is credited properly for all activity he does.  Yesterday after biking, it listed how far he went and today it seemed to be like a stopwatch telling him how long he rode.  Is there any kind of manual for the Fitbit so we can learn how to do all of the functions?  Thank you,

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the Charge 2 because it was tracked multi-sport tracker with connected GPS that automatically logs select workouts including cycling. However, if I’m understanding the solution provided, there is no way to connect the GPS data from the phone with the auto-logged workout?  Is that correct? Is that information clear in the specifications, and I just missed it when doing my pre-purchase research?

Best Answer
0 Votes

A reply for "jogger". I simply go on to my "dashboard" on laptop, click on the activity bit, click on the + sign at the top of page(when it has changed to the activity page) then I have a small list-swim,garden,bike,dance. I click on whichever 1 I want to log and fill in the chart that comes up-start, finish times etc. xx Allyson xx

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I enter in my biking it only allows time. When I do this, it doesn’t accurately show the distance I actually biked. I feel this would impact calories. Is there an automatic conversion going on? I use cyclometer to track the ride and then enter into fitbit manually. Thanks-

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I track "bike" I get a bit after time started and time stopped a distance bit. When I put in "cycle" or "mountain Bike" I don't get the "distance option. Try tracking under a different heading. xx
Best Answer
0 Votes

There's no place to key in additional activities like cycling on One. Only walking, running and hiking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes