Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps/Miles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My goal is 10,000 steps a day which is 5 miles. When I reach my goal my miles count is not 5 miles, I have to take 13,000 to reach 5 miles in order for the bar to turn green. How can I fix the steps and miles count.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The Flex does not actually measure distance as it has no GPS capability. Instead it calculates distance based on the number of steps taken times the stride length. If you have not entered your stride length, then it will calculate an approximate value based on your height, weight and gender.

Make sure you have an accurate stride length entered and the distance accuracy should improve.

Hilary | UK

Charge, Aria, iPhone 4s, Mac

If this answer is helpful, please vote for it and/or mark it as a solution.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60

10,000 Steps equal how many miles? I am wondering

Best Answer

I'm not totally sure but I think it's around 3/4 miles

Best Answer
0 Votes

10,000 steps is roughly 5 miles. 

Here is a blog post that talks about why 10,000 steps:

http://blog.fitbit.com/the-magic-of-10000-steps/

Please remember to vote or mark the response that helped you as solved.
Fitbit Charge 3/ Samsung S20.
Best Answer

Doesn't that depend on your stride?

For me 10,000 steps is approx. 7.3 km which equals 4.5 mi.

Best Answer

@packgirl13 The answer to that question will completely depend on your stride length. On average, most people take between 2,000 and 2,500 steps over the course of a mile, meaning that the default goal of 10,000 steps is approximately 4-5 miles.

You can find information on how to measure and input your own stride length in this article - this will help your tracker ot determine distance more accurately.

Best Answer

I think it was Mathew who said there was an article about strides in a step. Could you give a website? Nothing came up when you mentioned "an article" it came up as a privacy thing. 

thanks linda

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the privacy error too. I bypassed it and copied the article. Here it is:

How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. By default, stride length is determined using your height and gender. If you feel that your distance measurement isn't being accurately tracked, you may want to adjust your stride length:

1.  Go to a track or somewhere that you know the exact distance of.
  2.  Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3.  Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.
Your running stride can be calculated the same way, only by running a known distance rather than walking.

To adjust your stride length on your dashboard, please do the following:

1.  Log into your Fitbit.com dashboard.
  2.  Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your dashboard and select "Settings."
  3.  You will see a field for Stride Length and Running Stride Length. From here, you can manually enter your personal stride length. If you leave these blank, your profile will estimate these values based on your height and gender.
  4.  Click the "Update Profile" button to save your changes. Note that a sync will be required to update your tracker with your new stride measurements.
Best Answer
It depends on your stride. For example, I am very short and had to shorten my stride. So far today, I am a bit over 6,000 steps. My FitBit shows 2.1 miles.
Best Answer

@woodbury @betpchem We recently changed our help site - you can safely click through that Privacy warning message.

The link to the stride article is here - hopefully that helps!

Best Answer

The Flex does not actually measure distance as it has no GPS capability. Instead it calculates distance based on the number of steps taken times the stride length. If you have not entered your stride length, then it will calculate an approximate value based on your height, weight and gender.

Make sure you have an accurate stride length entered and the distance accuracy should improve.

Hilary | UK

Charge, Aria, iPhone 4s, Mac

If this answer is helpful, please vote for it and/or mark it as a solution.

Best Answer

A mile is 5,280 feet, so five miles is 26,400 feet.

To do that in 10,000 steps you would need 2.64 ft / step (2 feet 7.7 inches)

That is a pretty big step.  You would need to take big steps - perhaps because you are very tall - to do 5 miles in 10K steps

The default step is 0.413 * height, so to get 2.64 ft step you would be 6.39 feet or 6' 4.7" tall

13,000 steps would each be 2.03 feet, so your height would be 4.9 feet or about 4'11" tall.

That's apparently how tall the flex thinks you are, if you are using the default.

Wolf : Right Here and Now

Charge | iPhone 5 | Windows 7

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hilary 55,

Thanks for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for this that about 2,000 steps for 1 mile however if that is the case than WHY does fitbit not count the  miles correctly. I ran 7 miles today for my  last  long run for race next Sunday however I just synced my fitbit and it states only 5.76 miles. I also just got back home from running errands and at least walking another mile on the trail with son at a birthday party. It also states I only have little over 13,000 steps. If that is the case shouldn't I have at least 14,000 steps. Hmmm. Is there a way to caliberate your steps for the fitbit because I know everyone is different but when my Garmin states a 7 mile run I know I ran 7 miles.

Best Answer

@Yoredbull See my post, right above yours, for information on measuring and implementing your stride distance. This should help improve the accuracy of your distance measurement.

Best Answer
Thank you Matthew
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is probably based on the lenth of your step.   10,000 steps for me is a little under 5 miles.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is probably based on the lenth of your step or stride.   My 10,000 steps is a little under 5 miles.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me anyways its approx 2200 steps in a mile so approx 4.5 mile

Best Answer

there is 36 inches between each foot step, How can a set the tracker one for those inches between each foot step, so that I  get the total distance when I put it in?

can I set the 36 inches between each foot step in the surger watch also?

Best Answer
0 Votes