Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps not being tracked when using a walker.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't think that my steps are being accurately counted when I use a walker and don't swing my arms. Does the fit bit count steps even if your arms are not moving?

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
53 REPLIES 53
I shall try the pocket when using a walker.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

Hey there @aquanutkkp, it's nice to see you here sharing your thoughts. 

For better accuracy, make sure Fitbit knows which wrist you wear the tracker on. For more information you can see How accurate are Fitbit trackers? Note that loose fitting use may cause variations in your activity stats since it moves more freely throughout the day. Cat Wink

Thanks for posting and I hope to see you chatting around enjoying the Forums!

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer

I had a spinal fusion and a big part of recovery for me to walk, and increase the steps I take. My husband bought me an Aria (the special edition rose gold & purple, my 2 favorite colors). First I used a walker for the 3 months the PT told me to.

Then suddenly I was hit with several neurological symptoms, including getting dizzy & falling several times a day. We bought a $400 walker so I can quickly sit down if I need to.

My husband did not buy that expensive, LE fitbit Aria just to buy ANOTHER fitbit, the ONE. I use the walker everywhere, including at home, so taking it off and on would be more.

My neurologist isn't sure what's going on, but after thinking my major recovery would only last 12 weeks, now I have these symptoms leave my husband STILL unable to work, as I can't do my job as stay at home mom to 6 kids

Best Answer
0 Votes
if I want anything to recognize my steps with my walker, I put the
phone on my ankle or in a hip pocket.
Karen Packard

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Honest, I do not understand this statement. Phone on leg? In back pocket?

What am I missing.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You don’ t get movement when the arm is still holding on to the handles , but in your pocket or in your sock gets movement !

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I realize that and am putting my Fitbit in my pocket. It would be nice to
have a larger strap available to put around my ankle while I wear
compression socks.
Best Answer

my husband has a rocking chair and it also adds steps on his  Fitbit! 

Best Answer

I had the inspire with out heart rate before and would put it on my runner shoelace / tongue but I upgraded to the HR and I want to track my heart rate so I keep it on my wrist. I got the credit for active minutes and some of the steps. When I do water exercise twice a week it does record the arm movements and the increased heart rate 

Best Answer

This response is well over a year old. I bought my sister a Fitbit to track her rehab and general walking. She uses a walker. It’s not working just as others said. And compression socks. Has Fitbit done anything more to address use by senior citizens?  They don’t offer the One anymore. The only clip style is the I spite and that doesn’t even count stairs. Very disappointing in them ignoring a lot of people’s needs. 

Best Answer

Bought my Mom a fitbit.  She was so excited, though she is slow to accept technology

Very disappointed when steps were not recorded with a Walker

I vote for programming fitbit for walkers

When I ride my bicycle, fitbit records my "Outdoor Bicycle" activity automatically

When I dive into the pool, fitbit records my strokes and knows that I am swimming automatically

Fitbil should develop application for using a Walker

Best Answer

Maybe use a couple of big safety pins?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a great solution on Amazon.  It is a stretchy, adjustable ankle strap that is interchangeable with my Versa 2 wrist band.  If you check it out, I'm sure they will have similar ones for your specific device.  The step count is accurate andcwirking great and it is very comfortable.  I did find it best to wear it slightly loose to get an accurate step count.  Here is the link: Adjustable Elastic Armband or Ankle Band for Compatible with Fitbit Versa 2/Blaze/Versa/Versa Lite/Versa Special Edition Smartwatch, Stretchy Band for Men and Women (Aztec Design, Medium) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PTX9DZ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_P2B3786MGJHNGV65T58T?_encoding=UTF...

Best wishes!

Best Answer

I ordered one of these—from another source, but the same thing. I was so annoyed when my new all terrain rollator caused my Fitbit to give me a fraction of the steps I’m taking. Especially annoying since the rollator allows me to go three times as far!

Best Answer
0 Votes