Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2,018 Miles in 2018

Hi all!

I've seen a lot of these groups on Facebook and thought that those of you without Facebook (or even those with Facebook) might like to join me in a challenge.  The challenge is to walk or run 2,018 in the year 2018.  It is open to everyone in the Fitbit Community, and you can post your updates here either weekly or monthly, whatever works for you!  I'll start:

Week 1: 7.46 miles so far

Who's with me?

So what does this mean in numbers:

Miles a month: 2,018 miles this year/12 months a year= 168 miles a month

Miles a week: 2,108 miles this year/52 weeks a year= 38.8 miles a week (or 39 if you are rounding up)

Miles a day: 2,018 miles this year/365 days a year= 5.5 miles a day

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187

I am a little baffled by it @Baltoscott. I thought it might be because of some kind of lag in the info update, but my steps and active time are updating regularly, it's just the distance that doesn't seem to be correct. App now says 147.26km, leaderboard says 92.25km. Big difference. Active time and steps almost correct. Might email support and see if they can offer any insights. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Best Answer

@Tracy303 -- Just calculated distance in my app by adding up the weekly totals.  Had to remember to remove December 31 from my first January week.  The total is the same as the leaderboard shows.  Not sure what is going on with your account.   Weird.  Email to support might make sense.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Hi, as a latecomer I hope you don't mind me joining the group

I got my Fitbit at Christmas and I'm hoping to build up fitness and lose weight. So far I'm averaging just over 10 miles a day and it seems to be going well, but there's a heck of a long way to go.  

Steve 

Best Answer

Hey @SteveL1964!

Welcome to the crowd. Your 10 mile average should make 2,018 miles this year easy for you.

Best Answer

@Tracy303 wrote:

I am a little baffled by it @Baltoscott. I thought it might be because of some kind of lag in the info update, but my steps and active time are updating regularly, it's just the distance that doesn't seem to be correct. App now says 147.26km, leaderboard says 92.25km. Big difference. Active time and steps almost correct. Might email support and see if they can offer any insights. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

@Tracy303 - although I got an email notification of your post to this tread describing the response you got from Fitbit help explaining the distance discrepancy, for some reason it doesn’t show up on the thread.  So, for anyone else wondering, the leaderboard converted your 147.26km into 92.25 miles for display purposes. That actually makes sense, in that for ranking purposes all the distances for the group should show the same label.  The problem is that leaderboard incorrectly labels all distances in kilometers if the user account is in km, even though what is really reported on the leaderboard is miles.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Hi, how do i join the challenge?

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am interested in an Activity Group.  Have you started one MarciM?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow! Ten miles per day - awesome!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BillyD3711 @ajgoldblatt — welcome

Here’s the group link.  https://www.fitbit.com/group/22XDT8

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott wrote:

@Tracy303 wrote:

@Tracy303 - although I got an email notification of your post to this tread describing the response you got from Fitbit help explaining the distance discrepancy, for some reason it doesn’t show up on the thread.  So, for anyone else wondering, the leaderboard converted your 147.26km into 92.25 miles for display purposes. That actually makes sense, in that for ranking purposes all the distances for the group should show the same label.  The problem is that leaderboard incorrectly labels all distances in kilometers if the user account is in km, even though what is really reported on the leaderboard is miles.  

Hi @Baltoscott, yeah, I did post but it disappeared for some reason. Not to worry. Yes, that's the clarification I got from support when I emailed them too. They also said that their engineering team are working on it, so hopefully I will get to see the units and the numbers in kms at some point. Makes sense that it does be uniform though. Thanks for posting the info. Hopefully should clear up an queries anyone else has in regards to this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For the sake of full disclosure, my active minutes on the Leaderboard include 134 minutes I never actually walked. My total minutes for 19 Jan should be 100. Odd fact: if you leave your tracker propped up against an external hard drive which is connected to your computer whilst you synch it, the vibration from the hard drive will record active minutes without you realising it. Oops! #lessonlearned

Happy Stepping, and have a great weekend all. 🙂

Best Answer

@essieL: Where are you hiding? Did the weather do you in? I noticed the owl left. When you chisel your way out of the ice, let @JaimieRi and I know, we miss you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This sounds like a great idea - I've just joined your group.

I'm in the UK and need motivating to face the snow and ice that we have at the moment.  This target should help me focus and watch my rise or decline on the leader board.

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey All:

270.11 miles for the first three weeks. I've made some fun steppy people on this board and I'm having a blast.

@SunsetRunner, I understand pushing through the ice and snow. We have a Canadian on the board who was walking in -40c the other week and some Australians who were walking in +40c the same week. (I find is I use fahrenheit as a measurement I don't have to walk in those extremes.)

Best Answer

To maintain an even pace and achieve 2,018 miles by the end of the year, you should have 116.1 miles as of Jan 21st, and be looking to have 171.4 by the end of the month.

For my part, I'll probably have two surgeries coming up this year that will shut me down for a bit, so I am busy banking miles now, while I can. (And having an absolute blast racing some of you.)

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Hey All:

270.11 miles for the first three weeks. I've made some fun steppy people on this board and I'm having a blast.

@SunsetRunner, I understand pushing through the ice and snow. We have a Canadian on the board who was walking in -40c the other week and some Australians who were walking in +40c the same week. (I find is I use fahrenheit as a measurement I don't have to walk in those extremes.)

Crazy extremes @SunsetRunner and @SunsetRunner. We are going to be going through the same again this week, with forecasts for the weekend back at 40+. Ugh! Early morning walks are key. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tend to walk the dog across farmland, fields and woodland. 

On Sunday it was about -3C when I set off for my walk and it was great as all the mud was locked up and I could get a good stride going.

Today it was more like +3C and the ground was muddy and slippery. The going was much slower today. I probably would have been better off walking down the lanes rather than across fields. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm game I wanna join!!!

Best Answer

Just discovered this group 🙂

So far for this month I am at 88.16 miles. Is that enough to start ????

Best Answer

@Jenwhite711 wrote:

Just discovered this group 🙂

So far for this month I am at 88.16 miles. Is that enough to start ????

Welcome @Jenwhite711 — that’s 88 miles in the bank, so absolutely!  

See @SunsetRunner‘s post up-thread about where you should be by now if you want to do about the same every month.  I imagine a lot of folks will go through spurts over the year. My thought is that if you are behind pace a bit increase your weekly steps by 20% or so and plan a few weekend hikes. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer