Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80-100K per day loggers

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Best Answer
189 REPLIES 189

@EdC  There are a lot of members who say they routinely step that much per day and some others who say there is no way it can be done. We all have our reasons for being here and for me, it's more about getting more active and fit than it is to compete with the most steps.

It's hard for me to imagine someone walking that much weekly, muh less daily. Some thread on the forums discussed how runners don't even do this much walking.

Best advice to give anyone is to suggest they do what feels right and fits their goals. Beyond that, it's up to the individual to do their best.

Welcome to the forums, EdC. Hope you enjoy your Fitbit.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Well, I'm not trying to out anyone down. I was just wondering how they did it. 

Best Answer

@EdC  Oh I know you aren't. It's just been a bit of a controversy on the forums lately.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

@EdC wrote:

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Hi @EdC . I agree with @Odyssey13 , but the thing is that people records steps that aren't really steps. For example, I've seen many posts from folks who are logging thousands of steps cycling, clipping their tracker to their shoe or their sock ... Those are not steps, it's cycling. That's not the name of my game. I use my tracker for step-based activities and nothing else. When I look at my step metrics, all of it represent steps, 100% of it except for the odd steps recorded during sleep. Another thing too is that some folks have jobs that have them walk all day long. I can think of a superstore employee, a courrier service employee, mail delivery ... the list goes on and on. Fifty miles in a day is equal to 14 hours of walking, give or take. That's an awful lot and I have a sneaky suspicion that not all of those steps are real steps but what I call false steps accrued while performing some other type of non-step based activity.

TW

Best Answer

I saw this story yesterday

10 year old kid logs 100000 steps on his Fitbit

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27879328/10-year-old-kid-logs-100000-steps-on-his-fitbit

Best Answer

@TandemWalker wrote:

@EdC wrote:

Hi @EdC . I agree with @Odyssey13 , but the thing is that people records steps that aren't really steps. For example, I've seen many posts from folks who are logging thousands of steps cycling, clipping their tracker to their shoe or their sock ... Those are not steps, it's cycling. That's not the name of my game. I use my tracker for step-based activities and nothing else. When I look at my step metrics, all of it represent steps, 100% of it except for the odd steps recorded during sleep. Another thing too is that some folks have jobs that have them walk all day long. I can think of a superstore employee, a courrier service employee, mail delivery ... the list goes on and on. Fifty miles in a day is equal to 14 hours of walking, give or take. That's an awful lot and I have a sneaky suspicion that not all of those steps are real steps but what I call false steps accrued while performing some other type of non-step based activity.

TW

Yes, that's a lot of steps. Anyway, no big deal. Just wondered is all....

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer

@Fit-bit-er wrote:

The secret trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill_desk

Problem is: you can't really get any useful work done on a treadmill desk at more than 2 mph (3.2 km/h). Even if you spent 10 hours walking non-stop at that speed, that would only get you 32 km, which would be about 40k steps. That could possibly get you (in theory) to 50k, but certainly not to 100k.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@EdC wrote:

It's best to ignore these people, who are only fooling themselves. See this sample calculation I made recently. Anyone can manually log 100k steps, it only takes a couple of minutes, as I show here. The trick is to make the activity graph look "natural". That would take a lot more time (you'd basically have to log activities in 5.minute slices with uneven step counts). Just ask any 100k stepper to produce a sample activity graph and they'll most likely shy away.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

At the speed I walk it would toke mee 11 hours, doable but i would no try it more than once a year.

Best Answer

100k is easy when you let your fingers do the walking. This user did 866,569 steps in one walk! Now that's some amazing data entry. 

378miles.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@melly11 wrote:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27879328/10-year-old-kid-logs-100000-steps-on-his-fitbit

Having the experience of putting a Fitbit on a 10-year-old kid, I was surprised how quickly kids rack up the steps.  I have no doubts this kid did 100K in a day.  However like the rest, I doubt those Fitbit users that average 100K per day over extended periods of time.  

Best Answer

@Marcy wrote:

@melly11 wrote:

Having the experience of putting a Fitbit on a 10-year-old kid, I was surprised how quickly kids rack up the steps.  I have no doubts this kid did 100K in a day.  However like the rest, I doubt those Fitbit users that average 100K per day over extended periods of time.  

If I'm reading the article right, the boy walked for 22 continous hours. I completely agree that nobody could realistically do that on an ongoing basis. And even if someone could physically do that for weeks at a time, what kind of life is that?  

Best Answer

I hit anywhere from 12k to about 17K a day and have to work at it. I do all this at about 3 to 3.5mph walk. I can't see how one can keep up that pace for hours at a time. Anyway, I was just curious how they would do it. I'm not about to walk 16-18 hours a day to have bragging rights. LOL

Best Answer

@EdC wrote:

I hit anywhere form 12k to about 17K a day and have to work at it. I do all this at about 3 to 3.5mph walk. I can't see how one can keep up that pace for hours at a time. Anyway, I was just curious how they would do it. I'm not about to walk 16-18 hours a day to have bragging rights. LOL

I agree. For me, walking and walk/jog interval workouts are only part of my daily exercise regimen. So on some days, I only get between 5K-7K steps; and that's fine, because those are the days I do cycling, rowing, boxing, etc. For some folks, the step count is that all that counts (pun intended), by hook or by crook!Smiley LOL If I were my One on my sock when I'm cycling and boxing, no doubt that I would accumulate many more steps; but my total step metrics would become a mess of real steps intermingled with false steps from cycling and half-baked steps boxing or any other non-step based activity. Have a nice day.

Smiley Happy  TW  Smiley Wink

Best Answer

I think people are using power plates while still wearing their watches.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What an achievement for that kid. He took 24 hours to accomplish that, I'm surprised someone his age was able to stay up all that time.

However this leads me to believe that adults in the groups that are doing this day in and day out cant really be doing it, otherwise they would have missed out on a month of sleep.

Best Answer

@LisaFatBatter wrote:

What an achievement for that kid. He took 24 hours to accomplish that, I'm surprised someone his age was able to stay up all that time.

However this leads me to believe that adults in the groups that are doing this day in and day out cant really be doing it, otherwise they would have missed out on a month of sleep.

I was 12 once it might have been 49 years ago, but I do remember because it was the year I learned to ride the unicycle. It took me three days with no help and no idea on how to go about learning. So No it doesn't surprise me, a child his age with a mind set and his family there to cheer him on and give the much needed nurishment.

It doesn't surprise me, it wasn't something he decided on doing the night before when going to bed.

Best Answer

@Fit-bit-er wrote:

The secret trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill_desk

I could not imagine using a treadmill desk. I don't think I can walk and type at the same time. It would be useful for when I am on hold.

Kristina | Ohio

Charge HR, One – Windows 7, iPhone 5

Best Answer