Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80-100K per day loggers

I'm new to Fitbit and I can;t see how people are logging this many steps a day unless that is all they do and have no life. Roughly 50 miles plus per day of walking? Anyone else wonder how this is possible day in and out? I don't think even marathon runners would log this many miles per day. 

Best Answer
189 REPLIES 189

@lonerchick wrote:

@Fit-bit-er wrote:

The secret trick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill_desk

I could not imagine using a treadmill desk. I don't think I can walk and type at the same time. It would be useful for when I am on hold.

It's not for touch typists, that's for sure. But I'd be willing to bet that hunt and peck typists would do well on the treadmill desk. Smiley LOL

TW

Best Answer

I've also heard a lot of people use "rebounding" as steps. I agree with the above people though, if it's not an actual step, then it shouldn't count.

Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer

I have no balance, if I had a treadmill desk I'd probably fall and break my face Smiley LOL

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
Lol!!! Me too.
Competitive Crossfitter
Novice Runner
Getting Better EVERY Day
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe the kid was exploring himself too much!!!

Best Answer
back when I was a kid, walking to school and back, playing football at lunch, running at PE, football after school etc

it was easier to rack up the steps back then than now, if I even tried to be as active now as I was back then in my current health, I'd probably have a heart attack
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paradise555 wrote:

Maybe the kid was exploring himself too much!!!

Hahahaha...truuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeee

Best Answer

@Odyssey13 wrote:

@EdC  There are a lot of members who say they routinely step that much per day and some others who say there is no way it can be done. We all have our reasons for being here and for me, it's more about getting more active and fit than it is to compete with the most steps.

I agree, but it kind of screws up the goals for certain activity groups. For example, I joined the Let's Go To The Moon group. Its goal is to cumulatively walk the distance to the moon (238k miles). There's one fellow there that averaged 100k every day for the entire month of January 2015, 3 million for the month. On January 27 alone, he logged 150k steps. If he logs 3 million/month consistently, he alone will account for nearly 10% of the goal which kind of skews the whole thing if it's not legit.

And really, can it be? 150k would be 25 hours of consistent walking at 100 steps per minute. Or 10 hours running at an 8 min/mile pace. Even if it was bicycling, cycling a slong as that would have to be done at a relatively efficient cadence, no more than 100 rpm which would be the same as walking. All of these are ridiculous for any but the most fit folks on the planet to do one day. They certainly wouldn't do it two days in a row, let alone 31 days straight.

Maybe he is superman. I sure would like to know how he does it. Personally, I did 90k steps over 5 days last week including a stress test at the cardiologist on the fourth. Now I've got a mild case of turf toe that slowed me down yesterday and probably will today too. 

Best Answer
I ride horses several days a week in addition to working full time at a clothing store as a manager. I can hit 10k steps in about an hour if I do mostly a posting trot on the horse for the duration of that hour. To hit 100k steps, I'd have to ride 10 horses at a posting trot over a 10 hour period. That is totally insane. I don't know of any horse back rider that is even physically capable of that. I'd totally love to see someone try though.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The average human does about 2,000 steps per mile.

100,000 steps would be about 50 miles - that's quite a fitbit, or is that fibbit.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:
Problem is: you can't really get any useful work done on a treadmill desk at more than 2 mph (3.2 km/h). Even if you spent 10 hours walking non-stop at that speed, that would only get you 32 km, which would be about 40k steps. That could possibly get you (in theory) to 50k, but certainly not to 100k.

Even 2 mph is actually quite fast for a treadmill desk. When I got mine they told me most people walk at 1mph while using it, which seems reasonable for most types of work.

If I use mine without stop for a full 8 hour day I only log 20,000 steps. 

Best Answer

I have a tablet with me when I walk on the theadmill everyday so I can play games or go on youtube for videos.

I am a fan of the New kids of the Block so I watch the New kids of the Block on youtube videos...

and then I walk longer on the theadmill at this time my tablet is died so I have 2 days without the tablet BUMMBER FOR ME...

HA HA HA...... Right I have a walkman so Yea I be useing that too to listing to music at this time

time for me to go now check in with you all later I wear my fitbit zip all the time

have a great day!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK

@nkotblove 

Missy M. as@ nkotblove
Best Answer
0 Votes

There have been a lot of comments about bicycling steps not being worthy. I want someone to tell me I am not deserving of 50,000+ steps after riding over 100 miles on a bicycle in a day.

Best Answer

@pgmguard wrote:

There have been a lot of comments about bicycling steps not being worthy. I want someone to tell me I am not deserving of 50,000+ steps after riding over 100 miles on a bicycle in a day.

I am not sure what to make of this question. If you did 100 miles cycling, which do you prefer - to log 50,000 + false steps; or to log 100 miles of cycling? To each his own, I guess; but to me, I would prefer to log the 100 miles of cycling, and thus avoid throwing a monkey wrench in my true step statistics. I don't know if any of the comments to which you refer are from me or not, but for me it was never about the worthiness of the steps; but more about avoiding to pollute my step stats with things that aren't really steps. 

Using my own profile, the 50,000 steps would account for about 3,000-3500 calories. Cycling, assuming an average speed of 12-14mph, would account for 5,000 - 5500 calories. So for me, the worthiness of cycling is to log cycling as such.

TW

Best Answer

TandemWalker, I live in both worlds. I get rewards at work for my steps and not active time. I get personal rewards for my biking miles. As far as I am concerned one bicycle cadence is two steps.

Best Answer

I prefer to keep my bike riding and step based activities seperate. I bike 3 or 4 times a week and I always log my distance and time as bicycling on my dashboard afterward.

On my last bike ride, my Fitbit counted steps from being jostled around while I was riding and I felt as though my whole day's stats were thrown off by this because the steps it counted for the bike ride wouldn't have given me close to the same calories burned as logging the activity in as a bike ride. I also felt that I didn't "earn" those steps since I wasn't actually walking when the steps were counted. I still logged my distance and time in as bike riding, but felt as though my whole day was off.

Best Answer

kaelarenee7. I would not even care about the steps if did not care.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I care about the steps and the miles for me to look at the steps some steps is low.. and today its my steps was 6955 at this time....

Missy M. as@ nkotblove
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kaelarenee7 wrote:

I prefer to keep my bike riding and step based activities seperate. I bike 3 or 4 times a week and I always log my distance and time as bicycling on my dashboard afterward.

On my last bike ride, my Fitbit counted steps from being jostled around while I was riding and I felt as though my whole day's stats were thrown off by this because the steps it counted for the bike ride wouldn't have given me close to the same calories burned as logging the activity in as a bike ride. I also felt that I didn't "earn" those steps since I wasn't actually walking when the steps were counted. I still logged my distance and time in as bike riding, but felt as though my whole day was off.

And would it not be nice if users had the ability to nuke those false steps recorded while riding your bike. If you agree, then I invite you to vote for @MacWade  suggestion in the Feature Request forum. Click here:

Manually Delete Steps and Floors.

Have a good day.

TW

Best Answer

Count me out. I rode 60 miles Sat. Only got +20K steps. Should have been +30K. My bicycling steps are more efficient but at the same time my heart rate averaged almost 160. How many 30K walkers generate a similar effort. A walker could get similar steps walking in the time it took me to ride the 60 miles. I will keep the steps and advocate for being able to correct (add to) the false step count.

Best Answer
0 Votes