Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Actually, the only times I get above 20k is when i do runs of 7+ miles.  I sit when working though I do walk around during phone meetings but without the long run it would be impossible for me to break 20k.  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

I have a desk job and am a legal secretary - I walk the 20,000 steps early in the morning and then get about 5,000 lifesteps - then I go home at night and usually do another 5,000 steps with Leslie Sansone - that puts me around 30,000 - right now I am going on the treadmill and will walk the mall later - you should always wear your Fitbit - I have logged 7,000 steps cleaning house and running up and down the stairs!  Step anytime you can - park your car far away, - so many tricks - but most of all, keep on moving and find a buddy or buddy system - it absolutely helps!  40 pounds less here and loving it - 4,000 miles walked last year with my friends on the leaderboard 🙂

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310
The days I get above 20k I have to walk the dog, walk to the gym, walk on the treadmill for 1-2 hours, walk back home, walk to the grocery store, walk the dog again in the evening... It takes a lot of time.
Best Answer

Yeh, you may wish to find a business establishment-or-two close enough to your house to walk to (or bike in the Summer). Maybe a coffeeshop, maybe sandwich shop, maybe gas station; maybe to get something you need, anyway.

Best Answer

I have a Treadmill Desk that I use, and on days I get above 20k steps I have to walk 3.5 hours at my desk.  I have gone as high as 30k steps in a day doing 5.5 hours at my desk which was torture in a way but I wanted to prove I could do it.  Talk about jelly legs though.  I have done 20k steps outside before but it takes a lot of effort.  Did 20k when I did a hike back to some falls on a long trail and then went shopping after the hike.  20k steps is about 10 miles so it is a lot of steps.  

Best Answer

@Run4Fun wrote:

getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

The explanation is in this post Smiley Wink

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

@Run4Fun wrote:

getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

The explanation is in this post Smiley Wink

HAHAHA!

Some people have jobs where they're on their feet all day moving.  

Some people put their Fitbit on their hyper dog.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
I hit 20.000 one time. It was my day off and I walked for about 3 hours, grocery shopped and was active around the house. I semi ignored my family, it was crazy! Glad I did it, but on a work day I can't imagine how I could unless I become a fast runner and ran 8 miles each morning ...oh and I love sleep. I am impressed by those who do and aspire to get more steps this spring.
Best Answer
I have it just over 20k today..this what I had to do. Mucked out 2 horses this morning and put them out, worked from home but spent every minute I was on the phone walking around the house, went back and brought horses in and fed/put beds down, then ran for half an hour...now I am knackered
Best Answer
I am averaging just over 20,000 steps per day. I walk one solid hour at a very fast pace every morning. Before going out on walk I try to get in 50 flights of stairs. Luckily I live alone and am not waking folks!! I continue to step around the house all day. My best day was regular active day and then I went to a dance and danced myself silly. Got in over 30,000 steps that day. Just keep moving.
Best Answer

Actually, the only times I get above 20k is when i do runs of 7+ miles.  I sit when working though I do walk around during phone meetings but without the long run it would be impossible for me to break 20k.  

Best Answer

Similar to you. I run 3-7 miles most days, I have 3 children and do housework but I get about 12 000 steps at work because I do stock in a factory and my runs have been a bit longer as of late. A run usually gets me about 6-10k. Around 3k at home on days I work. I usually get about 12-15k on my days off because I do a longer run.

Best Answer

I have to admit that the only times i've broken the 20k steps seems to be when i go to trade shows, a few weeks ago at CES in Las Vegas i was averaging about 25k a day, but it was hard going, how i'd find the time in normal life for that sort of walking is beyond me!

Best Answer

I agree it must be hard for someone with a typical 9-to-5 office job to reach 20k steps. I've had my Fitbit One for 301 days and my "lifetime" step count so far is 6.1M, which translates into an average of 20.3k per day. I'm self-employed, work from home and my working hours can be pretty flexible. This helps quite a bit, but I still need to dedicate at least two hours per day in average to my walking/running. In fact, I've decided to reduce my step count and spend more time doing strength training.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I have a desk job and am a legal secretary - I walk the 20,000 steps early in the morning and then get about 5,000 lifesteps - then I go home at night and usually do another 5,000 steps with Leslie Sansone - that puts me around 30,000 - right now I am going on the treadmill and will walk the mall later - you should always wear your Fitbit - I have logged 7,000 steps cleaning house and running up and down the stairs!  Step anytime you can - park your car far away, - so many tricks - but most of all, keep on moving and find a buddy or buddy system - it absolutely helps!  40 pounds less here and loving it - 4,000 miles walked last year with my friends on the leaderboard 🙂

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

@Jabrat wrote:

I have a desk job and am a legal secretary - I walk the 20,000 steps early in the morning

Gee, 20,000 steps before going to work! At what time do you wake up and how long does it take you to complete your 20,000 steps?

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
I get up at 4:00 take care of the group and walk two hours and 10 minutes
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

I run 4 miles in the morning and 3 miles at night and i am around 19000 steps daily because on sunday i barely walk around 2500 to 3000 steps to recharge!!! but took me almost 2.5 years to do this. Try and every week do a little more. My excuses if i wrote something wrong because english is not my language.

@Sumerni wrote:
I hit 20.000 one time. It was my day off and I walked for about 3 hours, grocery shopped and was active around the house. I semi ignored my family, it was crazy! Glad I did it, but on a work day I can't imagine how I could unless I become a fast runner and ran 8 miles each morning ...oh and I love sleep. I am impressed by those who do and aspire to get more steps this spring.

Best Answer

I work 12 hour days and work on my feet all day.  So I usually get on average between 25 and 28 thousand steps.  but I find I get up to or over 30thousand steps on my days off between my walking alone in the morning and walking my dog in the afternoon my housework and running errands

Best Answer

@Jabrat wrote:
I get up at 4:00 take care of the group and walk two hours and 10 minutes

That's truly impressive. No wonder you shed 40 pounds! Respect!

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Thank you 🙂  - couldn't have done it without my Fitbit!!!

Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer