Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310

Thanks - I keep my eye on the ball!  I wanted that weight loss badly!!

@Dominique wrote:

@Jabrat wrote:
I get up at 4:00 take care of the group and walk two hours and 10 minutes

That's truly impressive. No wonder you shed 40 pounds! Respect!

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

I do struggle to do the 10K steps per day in a sedentary job, but there are some people on here averaging 50k to 60K steps a day, like the equivalent of a marathon everyday. To my lazy self this seems impossible - are there enough hours in the day even if they have an active job?

Best Answer
I manage to usually get about 20,000 steps in. I do spend a lot of time walking (at least two very long walks a day) and have recently added 100 flights of stairs to my normal walking goals. The days I go out to hear music and dance my butt off I get in excess of 30,000 steps. I would imagine people that are getting 50,000 steps or more are long distance runners. Keep at it. Your steps will increase and so will your satisfaction. Ali
Best Answer

@Ali wrote:
I would imagine people that are getting 50,000 steps or more are long distance runners.

Actually, I believe many people who get that kind of daily step counts have a treadmill desk. You would have to run a marathon to get 50,000 steps, and few long distance runners run the equivalent of a marathon every day.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I think even with a treadmill desk that that would be impossible to average.  I went back and checked that last sat. during a 10 mile run, I got about 10k step in one hour at a nice, leisurely 10 min mile pace and that was just over 6 miles.  So for me to hit 50k, it would be about 30 miles or so per day.  It would also take about 5 hours to complete... each day.  You would not be working at that pace so slow it down to a walk and you are talking about probaly 10 hours of walking each day.  

Even elite, world class marathoners average 100-150 miles running each week and that is at the top of thier training.  Even if they are at 10 miles they still need almost 10k more a day which is possible if you are an elite world class distance runner.

Best Answer

I don't use the 'friends' area because it discourages me to see very high step counts.  

I strive for balance... enough sleep, food, work, movement, relaxation.  I might be slacking on the movement some days but some other area is scoring higher on those days, and that's ok.  Woman Happy

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

Here is an article that might inspire you to walk more. This older vegan couple ran a marathon a day for a year. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10545857/Vegans-powered-b...

Best Answer
I know many people on this site who consistently hit 50000 per day - they are amazing and at the top of the leaderboard - they spend hours on the treadmill and walk miles outside and get back on at night - quite amazing!!
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
Some of them do not work that hit high steps - I happen to work but do manage my 20000 before work starts - matter of fact - off to bed because I will be up stepping very soon 🙂
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer

@Mary wrote:

I don't use the 'friends' area because it discourages me to see very high step counts.  

I started walking with a "dumb" pedometer before joining Fitbit.  When I started, I struggled with 30 minutes 4 times a week.  It was sooooooo BORING.  My daily average would have been about a 1000 steps. So when I worked up to 5000 steps a day, I thought I was a rock star. 😉  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  

Best Answer

@Jabrat wrote:
I know many people on this site who consistently hit 50000 per day - they are amazing and at the top of the leaderboard - they spend hours on the treadmill and walk miles outside and get back on at night - quite amazing!!

I worry about how much they're going to detest walking after a few weeks or months of that regimen.  Health doesn't have to involve hours on the treadmill every day.  That's a bleak outlook, to me.

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

I am very active, do boot camps, run 3 1/2 miles, walk the dogs, play tag & jump on the trampoline with the grand children. I seldom get over 20,000. One week-end I did manage 30,000 but I ran 4 miles with the dogs, took a different dog for a 3 1/2 mile walk then later in the day took my dogs again, with all that and working outside I did finally mange to get close so I finished it out with the re-bounder, I was beat......

Best Answer

I am a auto worker and walk up and down the line for 8-12 hrs a day.  Also jog 3 days a week to.  Swim about half hour 3 days a week to.  My walking at work and home get my steps in.  

Best Answer

You get up and move every hour for 5 minutes. I am an early riser and go for long wlaks before I go to work

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

i dance in the kitchen when cooking, cleaning, etc, i have an active job which is on my feet and i dance and move all the time inbetween at work. I try not to sit for longer than 5 seconds and i only sit briefly during my lunch breaks to eat otherwise, i jog during my lunch hour or just walk briskly or go to gym for an hour. i pace up and own while watching telly and pace some more for most part of the day. sometimes I get another hour of walking in after work. i dont get to gym very often but i would push my 3 yr old in her buggy around for another hour and play ball outside with her or get working in the garden. very little time sitting down when you have to cook and  clean everyday. I average 26k steps a day and have done up to 37k in one day. my colleagues complain that i am driving them crazy because i can't stop moving. i once got on the train and did not sit down, but paced up and down for a half hour journey. i run or walk on my home treadmill if the weather is bad outside otherwise i just keep dancing away most of the time.

Best Answer

Thank you for your comment on balance! I am pretty new to the Fitbit community, and trying to change a lifelong sedentary lifestyle. For the first time (ever?) I am enjoying being active and finding a lot of joy in all the different ways I can incorporate physical fitness into my life. I do enjoy being competitive with my own numbers and a few "well-matched" friends, but I can see that I would do well to use caution in comparing my numbers to the numbers I see others posting...Woman Very Happy 

Best Answer

I own a treadmill desk and I average 5k steps per hour, which means if I work half my work day at my treadmill desk I get over 20k steps that day.  My wife, when she borrows my desk, gets about 6500 steps an hour so for her if she did a full 8 hour day she would be at about 50k steps.  My treadmill is only rated for 6 hours of usage a day so I wouldn't do 8 hours at it anyway.  My longest day was around 32k steps on a work day.  I am up over 10k steps for today already and will likely do 2 more hours so I should hit 20k today, but on average I really do more like 15k per work day.    I would think it would be rather hard for someone to work and get 50k steps during a day, it would really take a lot of dedication, that is about 25 miles, if they are doing that at work during 8 hours that is averaging over 3 mph, which is very hard to do and type during.  Not only that but there are very few treadmills that are quiet enough at 3mph to allow for use in an office environment. 

I bought the desk to help me lose weight, bought it Dec 2012 have lost just over 100lb since.  If I had to go to an office again, I would push really hard for a treadmill desk at work.    

Best Answer
Wow, a treadmill desk, I should tell my hubby about this. He sits at a desk virtually all day and only moves to go to the toilet or get a bite to eat. I have him doing a minimum of an hour walking briskly pushing our 3 yr old in her buggy. He is not overweight but he should not be so sedentary. I jog beside him to keep him moving because I find he moves too slowly otherwise. He bought ME a fitbit, yes, me with an active job and doing an average of 26k per day. So now I am motivating him to get off his butt more.
Best Answer
Wow, a treadmill desk, I should tell my hubby about this. He sits at a desk virtually all day and only moves to go to the toilet or get a bite to eat. I have him doing a minimum of an hour walking briskly pushing our 3 yr old in her buggy at the weekend. He is not overweight but he should not be so sedentary. I jog beside him to keep him moving because I find he moves too slowly otherwise. He bought ME a fitbit, yes, me with an active job and doing an average of 26k per day. So now I am motivating him to get off his butt more.
Best Answer
0 Votes