Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people work to get above 20,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I am active (run three miles in the morning, work all day, goof around with children in the evening while I do housework but getting above 20000 steps per day seems elusive to me. Help! 

Best Answer
310 REPLIES 310

And by the way Groupon is having a five dollar sale for anatomy and physiology class for personal instructors. But like I said before how would I know I only went to a top university and went got into the Best med school New York City. I can go head-to-head with you about anatomy and physiology and not only that house even cells are broken down and which organs breakdown your food. I would hate to be your girlfriend or wife because I could see that you're just an angry individual

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ibixby

You hit the nail on the head!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

"As a fitness instructor, you are caught up in devices rather than results.  I see no mention of improving your body fat, what you can accomplish physically, or how you can improve your annual physical results.  Are you suggesting 14,500 steps is less beneficial than 15,000-I doubt it.  The same goes for any artificial baseline measurement.  Good Luck."

You are making assumptions without knowing anybody on here...let alone what our workout routines are.  I used to work out 3x a week, doing maybe 45 minutes of circuit training, while leading a very sedentary lifestyle.  Working behind a computer all day, it's important to make it a point to get up and move EVERY day...even on the weekends.  Since I got my fitbit, I walk every day.  I find a reason to get up from my desk hourly and walk, climb stairs, etc.  Some days I add in circuits with weights, in the spring/summer I did bike riding.  I lost weight once I got the fitbit, while just doing the circuit trainign 3x/week did nothing for me because I just wasn't moving enough. 

Best Answer

I have a fitbit Alta and it knew I was on an elliptical and it did measure the steps

Best Answer
0 Votes

I walk over four miles just about every morning at a very fast clip: usually around a 12 minute mile. That starts my day between  7,000 and 8,000 steps. I generally get to work a little early due to traffic concerns and I will walk for another 20 minutes or so in the warehouse attached to my office. That puts me at 10,000 plus before I even start my day. Every hour I try to get up and walk for a few minutes so I am not so sedentary sitting at a desk all day. At lunch, I will go to a large shopping center nearby and walk for about 30 minutes.

After the work day, I generally walk the dogs twice before bed and I end up with about 25,000 steps per day before hitting the hay. It takes a concentrated effort to get there, but it is not really all that difficult.

Weekends are harder, but still try to get the morning walk in, which allows me to go over the 10,000 without fail and will usually put me at 15,000 to 20,000 for the day depending on how active I am.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering the same thing! I was happy with around 5K steps until my girlfriend said she hits 20K or more per day. I use a cardio machine (elliptical, treadmill or stair stepper), 45-60 minutes per day, plus I get up from my desk every hour and do something (dishes, clean, laundry, lift light weights, etc). She on the other hand does not do any formal exercise. She reaches that goal because if you just move your wrist  or arm around it counts as a step regardless of the movement......she sent me her average calorie burn per day is 5,000 calories, well she would be losing 5lbs a week if that figure were accurate. Point being is it sounds like you are doing great as it is, good for you!

Best Answer

This absolutely doesn’t make sense. As a fitness instructor PT (with a masters in Biology) I know that counting your steps does in fact help. Some people’s goals aren’t to get fit or for vanity purposes but doctors will say adding a 20 minute walk does in fact improve your health. If a 20 min walk gives you 3,000 steps and your goal is 5000 then you find yourself walking longer-increasing your calorie burn-albeit can be low, your health & fitness. Just because people aren’t weighing themselves doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. I can attest that when I went from 10k to 20k not only did I finally get to a size zero at 5’9”, but I had more energy. It changed my way of wanting to travel as well. It motivates me to walk my dogs. I don’t know why anyone involved with the health profession would discourage a goal that involves fitness. My dad lost weight walking and achieving his 5k step a day when I bought it for him. There’s more than just toned abs that qualify as a healthier lifestyle. It’s the same when I do my dance plyometric classes- those students who choose to jump and do their jump squats are going to get results faster than those who choose to modify yet both types are still coming to class thereby improving their health

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new. but so far the best I have done is 15000. I do make 10000 most days , but still not all days, so I am not going to up my goal until I do it every day. Then, I will up it to 12000, then 15000, until I can manage to do that all days. 20,000 Is elusive to me right now, too 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great strategy. Nothing is worse than having goals that cannot be achieved. 

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes