Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Great post and thanks for sharing about being vegan. I've been assessing my food consumption around meat, fish and chicken. I have been without all three for one week and feel great. It's a 30 day challenge i started and glad I didn. I will assess my choice on August 1st.

Once I made the choice it became easy.

Best Answer

Way to go on ordering the book. You'll love it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm 74 and still trying. My Fitbit helps but I have to start eating beater.
Best Answer

I've heard that weight loss is 20% physical activity and 80% diet.  I've had good luck using My Fitness Pal to log food intake and exercise.  They have a Web site and also a mobile app.  It syncs to your Fitbit and carries over any steps to your My Fitness Pal.  You can set up goals for weight loss based on your customized profile.  And it's free.  Has a great food database and lots of other features. 

Best Answer

yes food intake is the hardest part but don't be disheartened by it all, just try food substitutes; replace processed foods with more natural alternatives. Encourage everyone around you to do likewise then all will benefit from the healthy alternatives. 

Best Answer
I will be 72 next month and I have always had to work at keeping my weight
down since I was 30. Eating better is very important as much as I love to
have a cup of coffee and something sweet. Eating better and getting out
walking with your fitbit is a good start. Good luck and lets keep in touch

--
As Always ,
Dee
Best Answer

Hi pepcats1942 I was thrilled to read your age.  I am no where near 60, I'm 73 and find myself resistant to do much to change my life style.  I sound like the movie 'Grumpy Old Men'. I have become so use to being in the house I wait until it's pitch dark out to retrieve the mail or take out the garbage.  I don't think these activities are going to get me to any significan weight loss.

Well I've rambled enough.  I hope to hear from you or someone.......

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have found that using my fitbit as well as the spark people app works for
me. ....slowly but works
Best Answer

I like your sense of humor!  Seriously, the thing that surprised me the most when I became more active (along with more mindful eating) was how it improved the overall way I felt:  No more aches and pains, better balance, better posture, more energy, more alert, and more confidence.  I started out wanting to lose weight -- but found my life improved in ways I did not anticipate once I had embarked on a more active lifestyle.  For years I had pain in my shoulder that made it impossible to sleep on my side:  Gone now.  Nowadays I actually get very restless on the days I don't go to the gym or meet my 5-mile (at least) Fitbit goal. It's addictive in a good way!

Come on, you; join us in stirring our old bones!  You might find it to your liking...

Best Answer

I am 66 years old. Over the past decade I havae lost 105 pounds. I am now a "normal" weight. I've only recently started to take exercise seriously. This morning my small dog and I were out walking 2.5 miles in the pouring rain because I don't like to miss my morning walk (not so sure about the dog who I dressed up in rain gear beause he was just groomed a few days ago and I wanted to keep him somewhat decent looking). I eat a low carb paleo diet, the opposite of a vegan diet. It is what works for me, keeping carbs low, warding off diabetes. I too have got control over a variety of other health issues including high blood pressure and arthritis, both a thing of the past except for a few swollen but not painful fingers. If you are interested in a low carb approach to health I recommend this site: http://www.dietdoctor.com/. There isn't just one way to eat healthy. Each of us has to figure out what works best for them.

Best Answer
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, im a newbee with the Fitbit, so glad I found you, thanks for starting this up

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit community. Start tracking and stepping. Moving and obtaining goals for yourself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally got my new Fitbit after turning in my old one for replacement. I gained a couple of pounds and lost muscle during my two month wait, so I can say with certainty that my Fitbit helps me stay in shape! So does my mostly nutritarian, vegan diet and working in the garden. Being retired is a great help in managing to find time to do all the things I want to that I know are good for me. 

Best Answer
come join us and have fun stepping. Im 72 and have my fitbit about a year
and really love it. Makes me keep moving and hope it does the same for you

--
As Always ,
Dee
Best Answer

Me toooo. 65 and trying to move everyday. I have the food tracking with MFP. (my fitness pal)

Best Answer

I think it is wonderful that you include excersizes to help with the fitbit plan. However, those exercisizes would kill an 80 year old my age. Do you have something we could use? We would love some ideas. \

Thanks!

SukieP

Best Answer

@SukieP fitbit is for everyone... age matters not 😊 nor does ability 😊 goals are always your personal best. You can create any exercise that fits Your needs easily. From number of step goals to your favorite way to stay fit. Check out fitbit help click on your device to see how. Need more help we are here for you. Go to Dashboard ...Log ...Activities... explore opportunities. May your journey be awesome!

60 years young am I 😊  Illness struck hard in my 30's and eventually led to an early label of disabled. My personal belief that anything is possible allowed me to beat many odds with nutrition and movement. I was walking again in 2007.  Surprising doctors friends family; the very same who wanted to put me in assisted living at age 46.  My full-time job is rebuilding me; I refuse to quit. 

Fitbit... Fitbit Community... Fitbit Challenges... in my opinion... all positvely priceless to improve health no matter age or ability!

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer

I know this is an old post, but I love the last line your wrote,

I don't stop when I am tired, I stop when I am finsihed.....

Love it!

Thanks,

J9

Best Answer
Age is not a barrier, just a number. I have ditched my Fitbit because it was getting to rule me. I do PT weekly which includes cardio and circuit with heavy weights plus walking and 8km runs...something every day but not walking just to get steps up. I'm happy with the muscle growth and variety I'm achieving currently. I live on a boat so if out at sea I cannot run; I have a stationary cycle on board plus an exercise routine for these occasions. While in the marina I work out as normal. Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes