Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Thanks for your reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello all!
First I am proud to say that I turned a young 60 this past 2015. I also placed second ( 20 years) of 5 k races and won a trophy for my 60 age group! The only thing is that I now am going to have to get a labral tear repaired in my hip. Just a small detour. I guess we need to just stay young at heart laugh a lot enjoy family and friends. Above all I count my blessings from the lord above!
Best Answer
Well said Running777! Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Thank you for your reply! Every gray hair and wrinkles (small ones of course) I have earned (lol)
Best Answer

It's so great to find more people who face the same challenges I am facing.  Thank you so much for the encouraging comments!  I'm over 60 and in the worst shape of my life.  Dug the fitbit out of the drawer and am joining the gym to begin a healtheir lifestyle and hopefully lose about 75 pounds.  All of your comments will be so encouraging, just to know I'm not alone in this battle.  Right now I can't walk to the end of my street.  I'm still working at a desk job, so I don't get many steps in yet. But right now, any steps are an improvement over the sedentary, couch potato I have become. 

Best Answer

Your comments are so encouraging to me!  I really want to get healthier and get this weight off my hips & knees!  At 67 the weightloss seems almost like a fantasy.  Right now I can barely walk to the end of my street, and have to force myself through the hip and leg pain to do that.  I've reached a turning point and know that I need to make major lifestyle changes.  I don't feel any different on the inside than I did 30 years ago, but I became unmotivated and have allowed my physical condition to fail.  I am changing what I eat and joining a gym in hopes of finding out that its not too late. 

Best Answer

Sadie, this may sound like the impossible, but believe me, it isn't - it's the best way to get yourself healthy. Five years ago, on 10-10-10, I decided to do something momentous in honor of the memorable date. I had been reading a book that a friend recommended, The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, and thought that a plant-based diet made sense for a lot of reasons. So I started eating vegan. Just like that. I went from a typical omnivore diet to 'no meat, no eggs, no dairy.' It was the smartest/luckiest/best thing I have ever done for myself. It helped me feel energetic enough to start moving, and I dropped twenty pounds the first six weeks and felt great doing it. (The last ten pounds I would like to lose are still hanging in there, but those first twenty never came back!) The premise is simple.

Your new food groups are: Beans, Greens, Grains, Veggies, Fruit, Nuts, Seeds, Sprouts, Spices, Herbs, Oils and Butters. The first four - beans, greens, grains and veggies - are your big building blocks, the base of your pyramid. The rest eat less of, with oils and butters at the very tip, to eat sparingly. But don't starve yourself. Eat until you are full, but only healthy plant stuff.

Try substituting a plant product for each animal product you currently eat. (Your desire for animal products will lessen as you find interesting whole plant foods to eat instead.)

Milk - soy, almond, cashew, or coconut milk. (I like Silk Original Organic Soy Milk. It's creamy and has the added calcium I need.)

Butter - buttery spread. (My favorite is earth balance organic whipped).

Eggs - Applesauce, smashed bananas, soft tofu - depends on the recipe.

Hamburger - TVP, textured vegetable protein, works just like hamburger without the cholesterol

Chicken or turkey - firm tofu can replace these in many recipes

Steak or roast - seitan, a wheat gluten product, can work for these

Lunch meats and bacon - check out the fake meat products (Gardein is a good brand)

There are a ton of great resources on line to help you get started. Just google 'vegan' and start learning. There are some good Facebook groups for support as well. The main thing is, start thinking of yourself as a vegan, even if you find yourself in situations where you end up eating something nonvegan on occassion. Every non-animal product you eat helps you get healthy. I promise you will not regret passing up a single greasy, gross, antibiotic-infected, toxin-laden, cholesterol/calorie-filled, heart attack-waiting-to-happen serving of meat/eggs/dairy. You will wonder why you ever ate that stuff, and you will have a hard time keeping yourself from trying to help your friends see the light! Good luck, Sadie!

Best Answer
You are on your way! One step at a time. In 2008 I was 52 and had a heart attack!
I took one day at a time and had to stay positive I am a runner and thought I would never do that again! Wrong! !(lol) I run much slower but I am on the move
Good luck to you!
Best Answer
Go for it and enjoy the journey but be patient and guided by the trainers at you'd gym. Diet is the key to weight loss but exercise will motivate you to continue. Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! Reading all of the comments strengthens my resolve! The patience thing is a daily battle for me but I won't give up! Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Sadie,

Nice to hear I am not alone and your goal is my goal too! I turn 60 in April and just had my biometrics completed, so depressing! I shrunk an inch and gained many more around my middle! Now Im only 4'10 and weigh 30 pounds more than I  did 28 years ago with my last pregnancy! I blame my failed back surgery for most of the pain I endure, but I ashamedly know as a nurse it is my lost motivation, lack of daily excercise and red meat meals with chocolate night snacks! I took a closer look at starting to change when I saw my triglyceride level raise to over 500(normal <150)Some of my Rx meds elevate trigs but I knew it was bad when it just took me a full weak to recover from brochiolitis, it knocked me out! I cant run the hospital wings fast any more, I trot behind the young nurses!

I commend you and would be honored to be your excecise/motivation friend if you want!

JulieSmiley Wink

Best Answer
I would love to be your weight loss and exercise buddy. I have actually had a little boost lately. I joined Planet Fitness with my granddaughter and she is very good at trying to push me a little farther on the treadmill than I think I can do. Most days I appreciate it. Ha Ha! I had some major dental work done this month and have been unable to eat a lot of things as I adjust. Thanks to that I have dropped 14 pounds. Not the perfect way to do it, but a little inspirational because it shows me I actually CAN lose weight. Yay for approaching Spring & sunlight! Hang in there and good luck! I'll try to be a good influence!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
I have no idea how I’m still being contacted here. I’m a personal trainer and hate fitbit. It’s a joke. I have told them to disconnect me for 2 years. Sorry!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes
Love to be your stepping buddy. I to had dental work done this week and
feeling a little under the weather and eating is quite a chore for me now.
Hope I loose the weight you have lost. You are lucky to have your
grandaughter to go to Planet fitness with you. Just keep up the good work.

--
As Always ,
Dee
Best Answer
Good for you! 14# is a major push forward. I was sick last week with brochiolitis, liquids mostly and only lost 2 lbs. Keep it up!

Julie Lee RN,IBCLC
Best Answer
0 Votes
Great Dee,
The 3 of us can push each other!
Julie

Julie Lee RN,IBCLC
Best Answer

Both of my knees have been replaced and I have a bad back.  I decided that the best form of exeercise for me was water aerobics.  My fitness center offers it Monday thru Saturday and on Monday and Wednesday nights.  I try to go 3 to 4 days a week.  Last year, I weighted over 200 pounds.  At this time I weigh 143 pounds.  I feel the best I have in years.  I also walk some, but this causes my knee to swell and hurt. 

Best Answer
Wow! You are inspiring! Good luck and all the best!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

The same way Men over 60 get into shape.  Aerobic exericse at least 30 minutes a day in your aerobic zone.  If you have been idle for a time work up to 30 minutes at your own pace, remember listen to your body, never train through pain.  Expect some muscle soreness when you first start out, learn the difference between muscle soreness and joint pain.  Start out with some easy warmup stretches, stretches should never cause pain, just a gentle stretch.  Then a 5 minute cool down.  Add some weight training, starting out with low weights and increase to your tolerance.  Start out with this program 4 days per week and increase to your tolerance.  It's never too late to get back into shape.  Good luck. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Congratulations on your weight loss

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes