Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698
You are doing great. Just keep it up. I like water arbotics to but live
out in the country so far to get to it now. So walking is what I do the
most. Some weight lifting and bike paddling. You got a wonderful weight
lose there and we all know the hard work you put into it to get there.

--
As Always ,
Dee
Best Answer
0 Votes

What helped me the most is changing my diet. My family (myson, sister, etc) decided to do a weight loss challenge. My husband lost 60 pounds, my son lost 100 pounds, my sister 70 pounds, and others lost some weight.  Encouragement is so helpful when you start the journey to weight loss and getting into shape.  

Best Answer

I am 64 years old and have been exercising for almost 20 years.  I started after I sold my horse and wanted a bicycle.  My husband finally talked me into going to the gym (I'm VERY shy so I didn't want anything to do with that).  Going to the gym with him made it easier, we even had some home equipment to use.  Long story short, I'm now hiking at least once a week and walk my dog every day, three miles or more. There are many times I just want to give up the gym and rest rest rest and not go back to it.  I know I would be cheating only myself and it would be way to hard to start all over so I keep going.

Just got the Fitbit HR and love it.  I compete with myself on number of steps (20,000 a day) and number of floors.  It keeps me motivated.  My therapy dog and I visit nursing homes, retirement homes, hospitals etc. every week. Sometimes it's very depressing seeing these wonderful people unable to walk or have a decent life like they use to, that's another motivation for me.  All you ladies over 60, keep it up, it pays off.

Best Answer
My mother-in-law is 86 years young and has walked two miles 3-4 times per week. She also square dances two days per week. Her walking buddy is 91 and he longer can walk as much so he has been encouraging her not go on her daily walks. We believe her exercise is responsible for her good health. Her daughter now makes sure she is walking her two miles. So continue to do what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Keep up the good work. You are very motivating as I am 72 and try to make
my 10000 steps a day. Sometimes more
Best Answer

Hi, just found this discussion and need help because I am struggling.  First of all I am 62 years young (forget the old part) and started exercising and eating healthy nearly two years ago now following major health misdiagnosis by so called experts/doctors.  Anyway I listened to my body, took myself off all the steroids, anti-depressants etc and decided enough was enough.  At that time I could hardly walk up the stairs and only did it once a day & that was to bed as it took me a good 10 minutes to get up there with my breathing so bad.  I started slowly with going to a gym and doing water aerobics, then started walking on the treadmill and lost quite a bit in those three months but didn't feel happy there, so I changed to a lovely gent who taught yoga and pilates and then I progressed to power walking - which I am sure was what made me loose another lot of weight, then it stopped - the weight loss.  The past year I have been doing, yoga twice a week, aqua fit, pilates, & legs, bums & tums (the most energetic and I love it) but still no weight loss.  My husband kindly bought me a 2 in 1 Elliptical Trainer so I can exercise more at home.  I eat healthy - everything is fresh in the beginning (ok by that I mean it was fresh before I froze it), so I would welcome any ideas on how to loose more weight as although I have lost the inches I am not happy with myself yet as still about 10kg (22lb) over what I would like to be.  I haven't gone mad and wanted to be what I used to be when younger as I know I would look too gaunt but just get rid of all the flabby bits.  I have been told by numerous people I do not eat enough as I have been using MyFitnessPal and only on occasions do I actually hit 1200 calories so any suggestions from people who have gone through the same would be most welcome & thanks in advance for any ideas that I can try.

Best Answer

I've dropped 40 pounds in the last year by cutting out all, and I do mean all, breads, white rice (there's the acception of occassional sushi, processed sugars and pastas. I will do gluten free pasta before a big run. Prior to last year I never called myself a runner because ever attempt was miserable.

What started with, "Let me see if I can do a block" has runed into some great runs on a daily basis. Yesterday, I did a 1/2 marathon. Was it easy? Not at all. Yet, what I've found is the running, coupled with right eating and resistence training, did the trick.

I'm going to be 62 in May and although not my lightest weight ever (in my 20's I did the liquid protein diet and ended up in the hospital very, very sick) I am likely healthier now than any other time in my life.

I know you want the scale to read less but in reality, the BS we have been fed around "ideal weight" and such is what ended a lot of us up in the up and down, up and down of our weight and health.

Here's a post I did on my Facebook page before and after the race. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153607946532842&set=a.64926492841.70261.712512841&type=3&t...

https://www.facebook.com/KathleenGage/posts/10153608718232842

The scale is a crazy thing. One day it's our best friend. The next our worst enemy.

I rarely get on the scale anymore because it screws with my head. I do what I need to do to feel good and fit in the size clothes that make me feel really good. And I literally run my ass off.

Not that running is the answer for anyone else. We have to find the thing that works for us. During the summer I like to ride bicycles, kayak and hike.

Best Answer
I think you are doing awesome. But you do need to eat & exercise. Protein is important. Maybe see a clinical dietician to find out what's best for you. I went to Weight Watchers last June & it helps you track both. And wonderful support. I have lost 70 lbs. it's taken me 3 years but I'm only about 14 lbs from goal. The best help is a good support group. God Bless

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

You did an awesome job.  I wish I could run but both knees have been replaced and one needs to be revised.  Great job on the weight loss.   

Best Answer

I try to eat less than 1000 calories a day.  Most days, I eat around 800 calories.  I walk on days I cant get to gym and do aqua fit.  What helped me lose 55 lbs is getting rid of beef from my diet.  I don"t eat any processed meat.  We also got rid of snacks.  Good luck on your weight loss program.  

Best Answer

My Charge HR says I should eat 1800 calories a day, even that is hard to stick to if I'm home.  I try and get outside and walk or hike or something just to get me away from the food.  At least when I hike I try and take a cut up apple, some prunes, anything a little healthier.  I do cheat and eat a Cliff bar or 2 or 3 which I know I shouldn't do but they are my weakness. At the gym I do the elipitcal for 30 minutes at a hard pace and I burn a lot of calories that way.  It wasn't until I started do some serious cardio that I dropped 13 pounds. Once I could fit back in my jeans I felt better about myself. The Fitbit HR really helps there because I can see how much time I have spent in Cardio Zone and how much in Peak Zone.   If you have a friend that can do some exercise with you, that might help.  I have three hiking friends, one is very fast, one very slow, another kind of slow and I'm in the middle.  I always try and keep up with the fast one, but then we have to wait for the slow ones to catch up.  The one thing about hiking is that I can really push myself on the hills and go at my own pace if I'm alone. I think you just have to find something that works for you and your happy doing, don't go by what other's do, everyone is different.

Best Answer
Have you tried a whole food plant-based diet? If you haven’t seen the movie Forks Over Knives, I would recommend seeing it, then trying recipes from the cookbook that goes with it. I have been vegan since 10-10-10, and feel better than at any other time in my life. I will be 62 in July.
Julie Fitzpatrick
jbfitzpa@icloud.com
Best Answer

One of the most revealing and shocking documentaries I've seen is Fork Over Knives. Well worth watching.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not over 60, but am in menopause due to a hysterectomy last year. I am noticing that weightloss is much harder than it used to be. Also dealing with thinning hair, but energy is not an issue thanks to the diet and exercise, but the weight-loss is painstakingly slow.
Best Answer

The same way any person over 60 gets into shape.  Sensible diet and exercise.  I'm a retired Physical Therapist and 69 years old.  I recommend at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, in your training zone, at least 4 days per week, plus light to moderate weight lifting at least 3 days per week.  The aerobic exercise after 20 minutes begins to use fat as the bodies energy source rather than carbohydrates.  The weight lifting maintains muscle tone which burns calories 24 hours per day.  Since you are in menopause the weight lifting helps to maintain bone strength since the stress put on bones slows down or stops the demineralizing of bone brought on by the hormonal changes caused by menopause.  Weight lose for older adults is caused by the decrease in muscle mass that naturally occurs with aging.  If you eat the same number of calories everyday and maintain your same activity level, the average adult will gain 1 pound per year due to lose of muscle mass.  So maintaining or increasing muscle mass is very important as we grow older.

Best Answer
Your journey sounds similar to mine. I am 62 (Taurus) and my diet has evolved much like your own. I exercise in the cardio zone 3-5 days/wk, depending on my schedule and energy level. I don't run, but I do a very fast walk, and on the treadmill I use random hills that really get my heart pumping. I need to step up my weight training, although I already do quite a bit of that, but I need to expand my repertoire. After losing 25 pounds, and pants size from 20 to 12/14, I'm ready for the next 25 pounds. I am a little worried about all the excess flesh - will it be extra flab? I'm hoping that losing weight slooooowly will help my body to reabsorb the tissue, but at 62 - maybe not?

Anyone have experience in this area?

Thanks!
Best Answer
I'm 71 and have lost 85 lbs. wondering same thing.

Jo Ann Wiblin
Sent from my IPad
Best Answer
We have started biking on the trails in our area. Last year I was huffing and puffing to do a couple of miles. This year I've done two nineteen mile stints already. (Coffee shop midway!). No huffing. It was a very gradual change in my body ober the summer, with beginnings of "wish we could go biking today!" When activities or weather intervened. Riding on trails in woods and by river is balm for your soul AND your body. This year I'm going to figure out cold weather gear so as to be able to ride longer. My legs are so strong now I glide up and down stairs. And I've lost about ten pounds in that year almost without noticing.
Best Answer

Keep up what you are doing, well done!

Best Answer
0 Votes
The slower you lose, especially with lots of exercise, the less flabby the skin

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer