Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

I am 70. I still do nursing shifts. I do 10 to 15000 steps daily plus HIIT and a little running.I try to do pilates for strength and flexibility. I am trying to make the most of the muscle I have before Sarcopenia sets in too much

Best Answer

Keep up the good work!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Shelley for resurrecting the group. I was offline for a while and just found you again.
Best Answer

Enjoyed reading your comments, Corney, in your 4/20/16 post.  I'm 69 and overweight by about 40 pounds.  I retired 2 yrs ago and have seen a lot of my muscle turn to flab without the constant movement I had when working. I am on my eliptical daily for about 40 mins, and think I have my diet under control, having eliminated all processed and white carbs. Still though, some days it is an uphill battle for me.  I was beginning to get discouraged until I found this discussion section. Thanks for everyone's interesting and motivating remarks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You need to build muscle... Try lifting weights ( arms/ Legs--- squats-lungs). Look online for pictures if you are unsure of correct form). After lifting then work on aerobics...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow your story is just like mine! I too get frustrated with weight loss I am 61 and still working I hsd hip surgery last Feb and cardio hsd slowed down reading your post gives me motivation sand I realize that I am not alone thank you
Best Answer
I am 66 and needing to lose 30 pounds. I try to walk every day however we are updating our home to put on the market. Would much rather be out walking in these cool fall days.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Heading out again tomorrow to help my mother out.  Been another bummer week as far as steps go.  Caught a cold, and it went to my ears, etc.  Going to the Dr. in an hour and hopefully will be on the mend soon. I'm think I'm due for a better week.  Joined two challenges today. We'll see.  I should get lots of steps in at the airports, and there is a really nice walking park a block from my mother's place.  I have kept my eating under control, so I don't think I have gained any weight. That's a good thing.  I'm ready to get back to normal, but I'm not quite sure where that is yet.  Have a great wk. everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 61 and need to lose 48½lbs. I have a dodgy knee so can not run/jog.

So I try to get 10000steps per day, I go to Aquafit once a week and use gym equipment once or twice a week.  I find it a struggle to keep motivated.

Best Answer
Lift weights--carefully-- muscle burns more calories even after you exercise---

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

LittleGramdma  It sounds like you are doing it the right way, keep it up, you didn't gain that 48 pounds overnight and it's  not going away overnight, but in the mean time your exercise is a way of improving you general health. The Aquafit gives you a way of doing aerobics without putting alot of stress on your knee.

Best Answer

I'm 64 and already lost the weight I needed to, 60 lbs, before getting a fitbit.  In January 2013 I realized I was only getting fatter and lazier, and it was taking way too many attempts for me to get up off the couch.  I joined LoseIt! and that program/lifestyle change has worked well for me.  I'm still maintaining my weight loss.  I started walking and began recording steps with a pedometer in February of 2013, and used that exclusively until the end of December 2015 when I got a fitbit.  Last year we all got standing desks at work.  I love it!  I work four 10s and spend between 7-1/2 to 8-1/4 hrs/day standing now, as well as stepping and jogging in place.  I spend my morning and afternoon breaks brisk walking loops around the parking lot.  Lunch break is another brisk walk down the street.  I eat lunch at my desk when I get back and that's usually the only time I spend sitting, except meetings.  I actually miss this "structure" on weekends when most of my exercize consists of walking the dog and yardwork  My step goal is 10,000 steps/day.

Best Answer

Hi Corney,

Just retired at 61 from hospital nursing due to back disability from failed surgery 15 years ago, ruptured disk while working in OR. Now have spinal stenosis with arthritis, started back into water therapy myself 2/week and treadmill/ hand weights 3 days/week. Need to lose 38 lbs to get back to BMI of 25 that I was before the surgery. Insurance nolonger will cover PT.

My question is I am on a Beta-Blocker which lowers my heart rate so it is difficult to find the right cardio heart rate to burn calories for weight loss. I cannot go off it, as I tried with my MD, but it made my condition worse. Any Ideas? Also what excersises, land based or water based tdo you recommend that wont increase my pain but help with my goals?

Julie (MiMi Lee)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just added a personal trainer to get started on weights to add to the daily steps.  My goal is 10,000 steps per day and get them most days.  It has been very rewarding to have a normal BMI for the first time in my adult life, achieved at age 73.  I have used Myfitnesspal fo track food but may add in Trim Healthy Moms.  Have any of you used that concept?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I too am on a beta blocker....my cardiologist told me not to use heart rate
because I won't be able to get it up to target because of the beta
blockers....I use my perception as my measure....I do aerobic dance a few
days a week and weights the others.....I usually take weekends off
....CICO recording is really the only way I find it can actually lose the
weight
Best Answer

I'm not quite there yet (51), but this was a great comment that I wanted to highlight:

@CRBMARTIN wrote:
I use my perception as my measure.

Barring any medical complications that prohibit it, the best indicator is raising a sweat.  Woman Wink

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes
RacquetballLady: Water based exercise is good aerobics but is not ideal
for losing fat. One of the benefits of land based exercise is that it
raises the bodies temperature, which signals the body to burn fat because
it wants to maintain a constant core temp. When in water your body temp
will not rise as much. If the treadmill doesn't increase your back pain
continue that, you could also try a stationary bike, rowing machine or an
elliptical machine. Exercise at a rate that you are sweating but can still
carry on a comfortable conversation, due to the Beta-Blocker don't be too
concerned about actual HR.
Best Answer
I go to various classes at my local YMCA. Our instructor posts an
"exertion chart" that labels from "1" to "10" the levels of exertion one
perceives during the aerobics classes. Supposed to be a good indicator,
certainly for those who take beta blockers. I'm 72 and began going
regularly to the Y after I retired. I use a Fitbit Charge HR to check
heart rate, as I luckily take no meds currently. I've had good luck losing
weight so long as I consistently log foods in My Fitness Pal. By working
out an hour a day, meeting my Fitbit goals, and engaging in mindful eating
(including logging foods), I lost 60 lbs and have maintained under my goal
weight for about five years now. Managing my overeating does not get
easier over time, I am sad to report...
Best Answer

Would love to join your group - (i'm almost 59) and just dusted off my fitbit and I'm ready to start again!

Best Answer

Well it would be a group of 2, but I would enjoy having you.

Best Answer