Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698
Come on in !
Best Answer

Hi All

I am 69 and I have just bought a fitbit charge 2. I am recovering from flu and pneumonia so it is a slow and steady progress. What I could do easily a month ago is bit harder and I get out of puff. However I am determined to get fitter so walking seems the best exercise at the moment. I am aiming for my first 10,000 steps today; a week ago I could manage about 1500. I also need to lose about 30 pounds so any support will be gratefully received.

Best Answer
Hi, I am doing Weight Watchers successfully. The newest program is very easy and I have lost 14 lbs. since January. I have also lost 14.5 inches. I work with a trainer 2x a week so that keeps me in line. Hope this helps. Great work with your 10,000 steps. I set mine for 5000.

Michele Finstad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

i am 70 and have had a Fitbit one for a couple of years. Have also just joined weight watchers so will see how that goes. I have my steps set to 5000 and also like to stair climb, so have that set at 40 flights of stairs. Am fighting with back and heel pain at the moment. Will be so happy to see the end of winter. I wish you luck in your fitness journey 

Best Answer

:smiley happy:Found you all that awesome we have a group for inspiring over 60s look forward to chatting Heart

Best Answer
Yes, it is great. Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Congratulations on your dedicated progress! I too started back to YMCA when I retired this January, Being on a beta blocker for 20 years and living with spinal stenosis that limits my back mobility's been a challenge. My fit bit charge has been helpful along with weekly reports of 5 of my sisters who all live far away, challenging each other to reach 10,000 steps a day. I have mede it 3 days a week to 10,000, but still try to walk 5 days a week. Finally got my husband to go with me in the morning to the Y, but he is done in an hour, and it takes me much longer to complete my stretching and weights after the treadmill and reclining elliptical. I have only lost 10 lbs since January! Keep in touch, you motivate me! 🙂

Best Answer
You motivate me!

Michele Finstad
Best Answer
I was a Marine and I was in shape for most of my life, I still have 30% muscle mass but after some surgeries and illness, I got off track.
I turned 60 last year and it's a challenge, things are different, it's not your imagination. One really good workout for just starting out and continuing is the one Helen Mirren does, the Canadian Airforce XBX workout for women:
http://www.fit450.com/HTML/XBX_chart1.html
I got the book on eBay (it's been out of print) It reminds me of the old school exercises we did in the Corps and in School. You start out with what you can do and work up the chart. I do it first thing in the morning and feel limber all day. I also do a Kundalini Yoga set, which helped heal some ligament problems I had in my knees: http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/lesson_9
These are all gentle starts. I also do free weights 3x a week.
I hope this helps 🙂
My main tip is to not go for the pain, heal after injuries and get your sleep! I actually used my Fitbit when I had the flu and later to make sure I was resting and it really helped keep me in bed. I recovered faster than my friends because I allowed my body to heal.
Blaze, ChargeHR, Flex
Best Answer
Sounds like you are really on the right path. Keep it up
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for this info. Sounds like you have a great program.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My mum is 66 this year and she uses shopping as an excuse to do exercise

Best Answer
😁

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
😁

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am soon 68, lost 45 lbs auto immune disease and now on meds for it, and thought fitbit would help me keep the weight off and help me with sleep apnea and food records. Love using the fitbit, do track,elliptical, bike and walking to keep up the stamina and keep off the weight. Knees are a real bother at this time.

Best Answer

I mis read you did 10,000 steps! I  set mine at 6000, but i have gotten up tp 13,000, Doing yard work when there is finally sun here! Glad you are doing so well! It is difficult to keep it up all the time, and my husband will go to gym 3xa week with me now too. He had a triple by pass 2yrs ago. We walk our neighborhood 3 x day when not really stormy. We live in oregon.

Best Answer

Was trying to figure out the relationship between cardio minutes and active minutes and stumbled on this thread.  Saw your post about exercise for women 55+  Printed it out and will give it a try and hopefully see some results.  Thanks for the info.  Will keep you posted  Would still like to know how many cardio minutes a day I should be trying to get.  Anyone have an answer to that question?

Best Answer
You should try to get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise in your
training zone at least 4 times per week. You should also try to get in
some weight training 3 times per week along with some stretching. By
stretching I mean moving all your major joints through their full range of
motion up to 10 times per day( neck, shoulders. elbows, hands and wrists,
hip, knee and ankle joints along with some active back extension (standing)
to counteract all the flexion we normally do everyday without knowing it.

Have a good day!
Best Answer

After being carnivore, vegan and vegetarian, in my 6th decade I am now more of a selective (some might say picky) omnivore. 🙂 I still cook a lot of vegan meals  yet eat salmon almost weekly,  I have found my diet balance by one guideline: what I eat must have real nutritional value.  That has cut out so many empty calories from my diet (e.g. processed sugar, white flour).  Further, I rarely eat at restaurants because I like to know what’s in my meal and how it’s been cooked - moving me into the “picky” zone again! 🙂

Best Answer

Women can stay healthy and get stronger and mentally sharp as they get older. Here are some ideas for staying in shape like: Keep eating healthy food, stay positive and make it an adventure and so on.

Best Answer