Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating?

I need a question answered. I started a weekend warrior challenge and have really been killing it to keep up with another highly competitive person. After pretty much walking, boxing, running and using the elliptical for over 6 hours, I pulled ahead of this person. We had some friendly, competitive banter on the challenge message board, but when I mentioned being on the elliptical, this person said that ellipticals are cheating.

Is it cheating? I thought it all counted towards the challenge, otherwise I wouldn't have done it and I certainly wouldn't say it on the public challenge message board.

The person is a friend, but it has caused quit a rift, as this person is extemely upset about it. Would love opinions on this.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

I wouldn't personally consider an elliptical cheating, but I suppose if this person does then that should have been discussed in the "ground rules" before beginning the challenge.  Personally I do not run well at all and I get all of my high intensity interval cardio from the elliptical.  I guess I would question more why this has caused such a rift with someone who is a friend.  Again, if this person considers the elliptical cheating, then he/she should have laid that out in the beginning and asked you not to use it, rather than assuming you were on the same page.

Best Answer

I would ask this friend why do they consider ellipticals cheating? I believe a workout is a workout. I even have the sweat to prove it! I think your friend is just butt hurt that they lost so now they're trying to find reasons to be mad. It is like someone being mad at me for going to Disneyland and accuring all of my steps. Just because I did not obtain my steps at a gym that doesn't mean I did not earn all of those steps. 

Best Answer

stepping is stepping - it doesn't matter where you are stepping. and I am really struggling to understand why that would be cheating.. is it because typically people "pedal" faster on an elliptical then they can step on a treadmill? If that's the case, she should haul herself on an elliptical and give you a run for your money.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I was going to say the same thing:  Stepping is stepping.  Sorry your friend is upset.

Best Answer

Thanks. It's disappointing because these challenges are supposed to be fun ans supportive. Yes, competitive of course. But when the "cheating" word gets tossed around, it's no longer fun. It'll be a long time before I start one of these or join one. It's not worth a friendship.

Best Answer

I know, I think that a workout would count more than just pushing around a grocery cart at Target. I did both today. Why wouldn't the elliptical count, which is a formal workout at a gym? But going to Target, doing laundry, housework, chores and walking counts? 

Thanks for the answer. I'm bummed that it came to this, but I'm sure it will blow over.

Best Answer

I don't think it's cheating.   I get some of my steps from an elptical.     One thing I am on the fence about wheather it is cheating or not is one of those stationary stepper things.    A friend I compete in challenges with uses one while she is standing at her counter at work.    Cheating?   I'm just not sure.   I've never made a big deal about it with her but I do wonder......what do you all think about that?   Probably not cheating, right?

Best Answer

Not cheating at all.  It take a lot effort to move those pedals expecially if you do it without using hands.   

Best Answer

If the topic comes up again, just point out that the elliptical is one of the built-in, auto-recognized exercises.

Best Answer

@BWright1175 wrote:

If the topic comes up again, just point out that the elliptical is one of the built-in, auto-recognized exercises.

Fitbit recognize my elliptical training as running.  I always have to edit it to say elliptical.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

The goal is to move!  I find the elliptical challenging because of my weakened hip.....but I wouldn't consider it cheating.  I'd say any of the cardio machines are fair game.....its all about moving!

: )

Best Answer

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, this person (who actually won the challenge), just could not let it drop. We're now not speaking. Over a darn Fitbit challenge. Bummer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree Steps are Steps. Elliptical is not cheating

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
I'd imagine you were only cheating yourself as the elliptical tends to undercount steps IME ..assuming this is a step challenge
Best Answer

@jennycreative1 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, this person (who actually won the challenge), just could not let it drop. We're now not speaking. Over a darn Fitbit challenge. Bummer.

Wow that really sucks! The purpose of the challenges are to motivate movement not break friendships. 
Maybe this person wasn't worth the trouble to begin with. Plenty of other fishes to swim with 🙂

Best Answer

@jennycreative1  Wow that's pretty sad. I find that pretty petty on their part

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I would rather be in a challege with somone who used an elliptical to get their steps than someone who got their steps from working at a job that requires them to be on their feet 8 hours or more.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't consider it cheating. I walk with a limp and Fitbit doesn't always get all my steps registered. The only way I can make sure they are counted is using my urban rebounder/ and air climber. I'm sure I get probably twice my goal because of this. . losing many challenges. It doesn't really bother me. I just remember a saying. You're doing more ( no matter how little) than someone sitting on a couch. I dance as well. Not good, according to my daughter, but that counts. Lol. Sorry for your friend.
Best Answer
I meant I probably do more steps than registered because of my limp. Didn't want anyone to think I cheated.
Best Answer