Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating?

I need a question answered. I started a weekend warrior challenge and have really been killing it to keep up with another highly competitive person. After pretty much walking, boxing, running and using the elliptical for over 6 hours, I pulled ahead of this person. We had some friendly, competitive banter on the challenge message board, but when I mentioned being on the elliptical, this person said that ellipticals are cheating.

Is it cheating? I thought it all counted towards the challenge, otherwise I wouldn't have done it and I certainly wouldn't say it on the public challenge message board.

The person is a friend, but it has caused quit a rift, as this person is extemely upset about it. Would love opinions on this.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

I wouldn't say an elliptical is cheating. If that's the case, then you might as well say a treadmill is cheating or anything other than walking that causes you to move your hands is cheating. Steps are steps, no matter where or how. Even walking in place counts. Surprisingly that can get your heart rate up as well. What I consider cheating are people who sit in a chair and just move their arms back and forth mimicking a walking motion. THAT'S cheating.

Best Answer

I agree 100%.  I find the term "cheating" a rather useless term.  If one is exercising no matter the type of exercise they are getting and remaining healthy.  The 10,000 steps is a guideline not a be and or end all statistic.  Keep it real, keep yourself moving, and you are doing well in my opinion.

Best Answer

Indeed, we are all here to lose weight, the challenges are there to push/help us go that little further, just like the badges etc

Best Answer
0 Votes

The person who starts a challenge gets to choose. If a person is going to do anything other than walking or running steps, they should ask them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which is why I and probably many only join challenges we are friends with, the problem is the accusations of cheating being thrown at everyone on the forum

at the end of the day, fitbit and myfitnesspal is about getting healthy and losing weight, those that cheat are only cheating themselves, but those throwing accusations about false/fake steps are basically using it for the wrong reasons and just to boost their egos

if they made the accusations etc in the challenges, fine, but to do it on the forum accusing everyone?

the person creating the challenge should make it clear, not those joining

Best Answer
0 Votes

With that said, this is my last post on this matter

it has been brought up many times and the arguements/posts are the same

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, I've let it go months ago. The dude is a jerk and we're not speaking. The Fitbit challenge was just one of many temper tantrums that a-hole has thrown over the years. I'm beyond done with him. LOL
And I don't accept challenges anymore anyway. Not worth it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wytey  ...  in general regarding all or most of your comments

Anyone causing a ruckus over a challenge is most likely WAY to impressed with him/her self and sees a challenge as an Olympic event they must win and indeed deserve to win ... just avoid them,ignore them, and remember this is after all the Internet NOT reality .

Challenges do NOT make you fit, they do NOT cause you to loose weight ... only you can do that .

Best Answer